PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a .22lr in s low wall or a mini Sharps! Yep

koger
07-23-2018, 09:29 PM
I am having a strong urge to get into the .22lr end of single shot rifles, I have been looking at some mini Sharps that Chiapa and Lyman make, and some Cimmaron and Uberti low walls. Anybody have any experience with any of these rifles, good or bad?

country gent
07-23-2018, 09:55 PM
I don't have either of those rifles. I do have a Stevens favorite and a rem rolling block in 22long rifle that are a bunch of fun to shoot. C Sharps also offers a low wall repo in 22 long rifle. The crossno liners will accurately convert a sharps or other 45-70 or 40-65 into a 22 long rifle also making them a dual caliber rifle.

Nobade
07-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Those new pedersoli ones look really nice. Supposed to be built for 22lr bpcr matches.

MT Chambers
07-23-2018, 10:29 PM
I'd go for something American made, maybe pickup an old single shot at a show and make it nice again. If one has the funds either a C. Sharps low wall or a CPA which is a copy of the Stevens 44 1/2.

Baja_Traveler
07-23-2018, 11:02 PM
I have a Miroku "Winchester" Low Wall and a CPA. The CPA out shoots the Low Wall any day of the week, but with that said I won our monthly silhouette match last weekend with the low wall. The Miroku just isn't up to standard for Schuetzen matches, so it will be re-barreled later this year.

The Sharps Low Wall is a much better rifle, and without the overly complicated trigger mechanism, but I sure do love my CPA. I have .22rf, 38-55, 45-70 and 45-90 barrels for it.

Don McDowell
07-23-2018, 11:50 PM
You might want to find one of those mini sharps and handle it a bit. They use the word mini for a reason.
If a lowall is what you're thinking on go with a C Sharps, and ask that it be chambered with the match reamer.

Chill Wills
07-24-2018, 12:18 AM
Like Baja Traveler, I feel my CPA 22lr match rifle will hold its own with most SS chambered 22rf rifles out there. I compete with one in the 22 BPCR game also. The CPA's are not cheap, but spend once and enjoy for the rest of your life and the next generation will be shooting it too.

If you decide to order a rifle from whomever, do as Don suggests, have a match chamber put in it like the Winchester 52 reamer CPA uses. There is nothing like using a rifle with top accuracy for those times you choose to shoot the expensive ammo. They are just flat amazing on targets even 200 meters away.

oldred
07-24-2018, 09:54 AM
have a match chamber put in it like the Winchester 52 reamer

Well that answers a question that I have been wondering about for a while now, I have had a Green Mountain .22 LR barrel blank for my scaled down High Wall copy for two years now and have yet to do anything with it. I have a friend that has a Clymer "match" reamer that I can barrow but a couple of folks have told me there are better reamers available for shooting match grade ammo. The Winchester 52 is new to me, would it really be better than the Clymer match reamer?

Chill Wills
07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
I bet Clymer makes a reamer with Winchester 52 specs. Most reamer makers list it. There are about a dozen match reamers with very small changes that make them different. Some match riflemen like other chambers but the Win-52 has a very good track record.

marlinman93
07-24-2018, 11:55 AM
I don't know how various brands of match reamers compare, but if I wanted a seriously accurate .22LR single shot, it would get a match chamber! I have several .22 RF single shots both old and newer, with match chambers. I also have a good number without. Those with match chambers all outshoot the standard chambered singles.

Reverend Al
07-24-2018, 01:12 PM
I had one of the Lyman mini-Sharps in .38-55 for a while, but found it too small to shoot comfortably. (I'm a big guy ... 6 foot and 250 pounds.) The trigger guard was so small that my trigger finger was really crowded trying access the front trigger after the rear trigger was set. You might want to actually handle one at a retailers to see how it fits you before you decide on a mini-Sharps version. If it was me I'd look harder at one of the full sized 1885 Low Wall reproductions by any of the good Italian makers if you're on a budget, or alternatively at a C. Sharps rifle with a match chamber if there is a bit more in the budget ... and if cost is no barrier those CPA Stevens are truly beautiful rifles! (With a match chamber of course.)

Just my 2 cents worth ...