PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's law on a Sharps rifle ... lol

Etienne Brule
07-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Hi

I just want to tell you about a traumatic personal experience with my Sharps ....

Please do not shoot the messenger ...

Last automn, while at my practice range at the military base near Quebec, I bring my 45-90 Shiloh Sharps at the 600 yards firing line ready to shoot the score of my whole life...

Then, before my first shot, I had a problem to lower the breechplug. I could not lower it more than 1/4 inch... ?!?!? After a few tries and some anxiety, I succedded ...

My first thought was to think of the firing pin ... or some weird problems ... The firing pin was OK

The same thing happened a few times since then, while in practice time.... What would I do at the Canadian BP Championships if the same thing happen and it would not lower ? What was the .. %?$%? ... problem .... ? ? ?

Look at the video o the f... problem: ( I was getting better at english language ... lol ... but I will not tell the french f... words...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00t6tl66Rw&feature=youtu.be

I made google searches ... PM to some Shiloh forum members ... and the problem still happened ...

One day, while cleaning the breach plug ( which I do only once a year ) I wonder if the problem would not be the firing pin plate.

This plate seemed to be sliding a little bit over the firing pin block !!!!

Thus this block could not clear the breech block face: so the breech block could not be lowered !!!

Was it the problem ??

I pushed the plate and everything was OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2sFGaLvXo

Unbelievable !!

Now, the day before a tournament, I can sleep in peace!

Gunlaker
07-23-2018, 10:29 AM
I have heard of this happening to one other person. I imagine the plate is a little bit of a loose fit. Mine are all quite tight and require a brass punch to move them. I'd call Shiloh and see if they can send you one that's a little better fit.

Chris.

Don McDowell
07-23-2018, 10:50 AM
I have not had that happen, but I have had a broken firing pin do that.

Boz330
07-23-2018, 12:35 PM
What Don said, the firing pin can be broken but still work. But it can extend into the chamber and not let the breach block lower, don't ask me how I know.

Bob

Etienne Brule
07-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Firing pin:

When I began to have this intermittent problem, that is what I thought: but the firing pin was OK !

Bent Ramrod
07-23-2018, 04:25 PM
If you tap the gas-check plate lightly in the center using a brass punch and a gentle touch with a light hammer, it will induce a tiny amount of “bow” into the plate. You can then tap the plate back into the breechblock with the brass punch, and it will stay put and not slide back and forth by itself.

Don’t overdo this, of course. A tap or two, then check the sliding fit. You won’t see any curve in the plate, but it will feel tighter going in.

bigted
07-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Not meaning this the way itz gonna sound ... When you say you have a good firing pin , this means you removed the plate and removed the firing pin to check it ... Rite?

Etienne Brule
07-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Not meaning this the way itz gonna sound ... When you say you have a good firing pin , this means you removed the plate and removed the firing pin to check it ... Rite?

Right !