PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lever?

daengmei
07-22-2018, 05:08 PM
I have an 1895 Marlin Guide Gun 45-70. Some times the lever disengages from the lock mechanism during the recoil. It's been a while since I fired it but I seem to remember the bolt opening a bit too. Is this a worn part, or maybe I'm just not used to the recoil and holding the lever closed?
Shooting full power factory loads 405? grain.

Walks
07-22-2018, 05:36 PM
I have a 1895 CB that I've put plenty of hot loads through. And I previously owned an older 1895 24" from the 1st batch made back in the 1960's. Bought it used from a Man who hot loaded it. I loaded the same hot load with the SIERRA 300gr HP that he did.
Never in the 1500 loads put through both Guns, did I ever have the lever drop / bolt unlock problem you describe.
The Factory 405gr loads are loaded light for use in the old Trapdoors.
If you have had the Rifle "worked" on by a gunsmith, return it to him.
If not then return it to MARLIN straight away with a full explanation.
You got a dangerous gun, don't shoot it until you get it fixed.

Bird
07-23-2018, 02:00 AM
The rifle may not fit you properly. The length of pull maybe incorrect, i.e., the stock may be too short for you. I have a m71 winchester, 348, that will do exactly the same when approaching full loads. Its stock is too short.
It maybe that your trigger hand is actually forcing the lever forward upon firing. Try some packing between the butt stock and your shoulder, and pull the rifle firmly into your shoulder. See if that cures the problem. It does for me.

daengmei
07-23-2018, 10:42 AM
You got a dangerous gun, don't shoot it until you get it fixed.

I appreciate the warning, but I'm inclined to believe something else is wrong.

The range I use is made with firing tubes. You can't view into the firing window without laying forward. This makes my bench form nearly prone against the table. I struggle to keep the butt in the proper shoulder position with any firearm, and the Marlin is certainly the shortest stock. I remember having to really pull the stock into my shoulder to maybe eliminate the lever movement and you are probably correct Mr Bird. I will add to the length and I will also look closely at the rifle to hopefully eliminate faulty mechanisms, though this is a seldom used firearm. I know that doesn't really mean squat, just saying its in great external condition. Sending it to Marlin is last resort.

FredBuddy
07-23-2018, 11:19 AM
You might want to go to "marlinowners.com" where there several
threads about this very issue and several solutions.

ReloaderFred
07-23-2018, 11:23 AM
You might have a weak finger lever plunger spring, or a worn finger lever plunger. There could also be a little rust in the hole, which is rare, but happens.

Here's a link to the 1894, but some of the nomenclature and parts are the same:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94P.html

Hope this helps.

Fred

44Blam
07-24-2018, 12:47 AM
I have had this happen with my Marlin 1895... BUT it was the recoil of the rifle against my hand kicking the lever open.
When I get a new mould, I tend to load them from what I think is reasonable up to max in that gun and I rarely get to the max load, but the heavy loads are what do it and I end up with bruises on my fingers...
In my defence, you don't know how a boolit is gonna shoot until you shoot it and I want to know what the max range of a particular boolit is for a given powder... And then I mostly end up shooting stout loads that don't hurt me.
Reminds me, I have a new NOE mould to figure out in 45-70...

daengmei
07-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Looking over the rifle, there is very little wear to the plunger and no corrosion visible, spring seems very strong...I'm hardly able to press it in without a lot of thumb pressure. The lever is what I consider very easy to unlock, though this is the only Marlin lever I've experienced. Maybe the plunger needs work, the angle stoning some have done. I have ordered another just in case I ruin it.

Hick
07-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Could be you are just not holding the lever firmly enough. I had a similar situation with one of my Winchester 1894's. When you let go of the lever the button naturally presses downward on the lever, opening it a tiny bit. I was getting so relaxed shooting that I would loosen my grip on the lever and it would naturally drop down slightly with recoil. Once I reminded myself to pull the rifle into my shoulder the problem went away.

bigted
07-25-2018, 07:02 AM
If you are gonna shoot it , then leave your fingers outside the lever loop and squeeze the loop from the outside bottom of the loop and see if this eliminates your problem.

If this does not work, then it really should be looked over by a smith.

Is this a new gun when you purchased it or was it used?

cowboy
07-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Howdy-
I'm with ReloaderFred on this one- most likely if the Finger Lever Plunger has not been messed with, ( which reduces considerably the effort required to work the lever from it's bolt closed position ), then the plunger spring is suspect. The standard spring could have been shortened by a past user, or replaced with a weaker one. In Cowboy Action shooting, doing both was common to help Marlins be a bit closer to the speed of '73s, before the short stroke kits became common, and Marlins marked JM became almost too valued to mess up.

daengmei
08-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Still waiting for a plunger to arrive, though things look ok. I did fire 10 rounds and had only 1 unlatch the lever. Forgot the extension butt pad. My right trigger hand hurts quite a bit, this is the only time I've noticed this, fingers definitely sore. Is this a sign of more than old age "arther"? Shot this after shooting a 458 Socom which I'd fired before. No hand pains before.

Regardless, at 100yds with fuzzy eyes I grouped rather well around the bull, all within 10" or so with 3 almost in the red. One of these days maybe I'll get one of those camera systems that I can use to see the sequence of shots and figure out what loosens up the groups.

Bird
08-06-2018, 08:20 PM
quote,
'' Shooting full power factory loads 405? grain.''
Which factory made these loads.

daengmei
08-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Remington. They came with he rifle but have to be rather old. The price tag was under 30 bucks.