View Full Version : 25 acp

Blammer
07-22-2018, 02:47 PM
any suggestions on what mold to get?

What as cast dia should I look for?

Catshooter
07-22-2018, 10:14 PM
Blammer,

Moulds for it are hard to find. I'd grab any that showed up.

The .25 is supposed to be .251 bore diameter, but of course the truth is the truth. I have seen .248 and .250 so who knows?

Cat

reloader28
07-25-2018, 12:55 AM
Noe makes a nice looking 50gr fn that I think would be perfect. My 25 is out of commision right at the moment so its on hold so far

Echo
07-26-2018, 06:47 PM
dang 25's are too fiddly small for my paws...

RED BEAR
07-26-2018, 08:50 PM
I use an up mold for a 46 gr flat nose and a 44 gr hollow point. Not sure if they have went up but I got both for under 100 dollars the 46 gr is 4 cavity and the 44 is a three cavity. I was expecting different pins not two different molds both work great . Good company to deal with. I just love my 25s great fun shooting.

35remington
07-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Supposed to be .251”.....groove diameter.

photomicftn
07-26-2018, 09:19 PM
You can look for a Lyman/Ideal 51gr RN mold on eBay, or try this from NOE:

Wayne Smith
07-27-2018, 08:48 AM
I use an up mold for a 46 gr flat nose and a 44 gr hollow point. Not sure if they have went up but I got both for under 100 dollars the 46 gr is 4 cavity and the 44 is a three cavity. I was expecting different pins not two different molds both work great . Good company to deal with. I just love my 25s great fun shooting.

You might mention the company name since you think so highly of them!

mattw
07-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Following this with interest...

I have around 200 loaded rounds and 400 empty brass waiting on a gun to follow me home. I have a Phoenix Arms HP22A, 22LR with both barrels. It has never failed to fire or eject and the daughters love it. From what I understand if you get a good one, keep it for ever... If you get a bad one, send it back they will make it good. They make a 25ACP, may track one down this winter. I also like the Beretta tip up DA/SA, but they do not show up reasonably very often.

That said, over the years I have ended up with a couple random moulds for the 25, have never cast one. I did reload these for a commercial casting/loading buddy a few times over the years as they were not a good candidate for the 1050! I always test fired a few in an old Colt 25 or Browning 25. Loved the Browning! I would love to see someone like Kel-tec make a 25.

RED BEAR
07-28-2018, 11:07 PM
Sorry the company is mp molds my tablet auto corrected my spelling just search for mp molds. I think they are in Slovenia or something like that but shipping is free and mine got here in a little over a week. I think the 25 is under .251 . Nice brass mold very well made. And yes I do think highly of them.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Yup, MP Molds is Mia Prevec and he is in Slovenia. Well known to this site. I have several of his molds, just no .25 pistol.

Chev. William
08-02-2018, 03:46 AM
NOE Has a "Cherry" designed to cut BOTH the TL255-50-RF and The TL255-65-RF Bullet Molds and I have purchased both bullet Molds from NOE. 50 grain bullets are standard, 65 grain bullets offer more energy retention although you will need to develop hand loads for them. I try to load for about 25,000psi MAP with either. A 63 grain bullet is also special order available from Hunter Supply and I have fired them with 3.0 grain charge of Bullseye in my Ruger Revolver. about twice the Muzzle rise over 'PPU' .25ACP/6,35 Browning factory loads.

Both Bullets are designed to be sized to Fit YOUR barrel Dimensions as Taurus and one other gun maker cuts the Bore/Groove diameters over nominal. I have seen a photo of a 35 grain .251" Diameter Jacketed bullet in the Muzzle of a Taurus with Daylight showing around it.

My Custom converted Ruger Single Eight in .25ACP has .251 Grooves/.243 Bore according to my gunsmith. It has a Custom 10-5/8" barrel on it and can shoot better than I can at this time.

Chev. William

allsy
08-02-2018, 04:05 AM
NOE Has a "Cherry" designed to cut BOTH the TL255-50-RF and The TL255-65-RF Bullet Molds and I have purchased both bullet Molds from NOE. 50 grain bullets are standard, 65 grain bullets offer more energy retention although you will need to develop hand loads for them. I try to load for about 25,000psi MAP with either. A 63 grain bullet is also special order available from Hunter Supply and I have fired them with 3.0 grain charge of Bullseye in my Ruger Revolver. about twice the Muzzle rise over 'PPU' .25ACP/6,35 Browning factory loads.

Both Bullets are designed to be sized to Fit YOUR barrel Dimensions as Taurus and one other gun maker cuts the Bore/Groove diameters over nominal. I have seen a photo of a 35 grain .251" Diameter Jacketed bullet in the Muzzle of a Taurus with Daylight showing around it.

My Custom converted Ruger Single Eight in .25ACP has .251 Grooves/.243 Bore according to my gunsmith. It has a Custom 10-5/8" barrel on it and can shoot better than I can at this time.

Chev. William

Thank you for that, I am looking for a .25ACP bullet for range only work. The 50-RF might be the ticket. Those little bullets in plated or jacketed have been very hard to find.

Chev. William
08-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Hunters Supply lists 48 grain Lead Bullets that should size to fit your bore, in both FP and HP configurations.
They also will cast either in 'soft' or "hard' alloy Lead by custom order.

I also have not seen .25ACP Plated bullets available.

.25ACP Jacketed 50 grain bullets are sometimes offered (Magtech, PPU) and 35 grain HP are generally available (Hornady, Sierra) as reloading Supplies.

Chev. William

Chev. William
08-26-2018, 01:01 PM
SADLY, The Industry Standard Test Barrel for Ammunition development of .25ACP is 6 inches and some use even shorter.
As a result Factory Ammo is Optimized for Short barrel Pistol use, not for longer Barreled Revolver or possible rifle use.
From Posted testing (Ballistics By The Inch) the factory .25ACP seems to give highest Muzzle Velocity out of a 16 inch long Barrel in a single shot Firearm; but is still slightly subsonic at around 1000-1100fps (the speed of sound is about 1124fps in our typical elevation of use).

Hand loads for longer barrels can, and do, improve that performance.
Estimates of Pressures in a Ruger Custom Single Eight Revolver in .25ACP with a 10-5/8" long barrel and about .004" Gap, firing a 3.0 grain charge of Bullseye behind a 63 grain bullet are about 25,000psi; similar to a 3.1 grain charge behind a 50 grain bullet.
Muzzle Velocity has not yet been Measured on these loads; but there is an Audible "Crack" to the report while wearing both Earplugs and Sound Deadening Earmuffs at the same time.
Stock Factory Loads did not have the "Crack" in their reports.

Chev. William

GRUMPA
08-26-2018, 01:42 PM
I'm using the NOE mould, bullet itself comes out just fine. I sized PC'd mine and got lead build up the first 1/2" in the barrel. Ole wonder schmuck (me) took it for granted the barrel was a .251 diameter. After slugging the barrel it ckecked out at .253 and that project now sits.

I want to make a larger expander, factory LEE is to small and squeezes the boolit to small when you press a boolit in it.

All I'm wondering is with a fatter boolit, if it will fit in the chamber.

I do remember the C.O.L. was shorter than what the books call out. Mine wouldn't cycle at factory length.

Chev. William
08-27-2018, 09:21 AM
I'm using the NOE mould, bullet itself comes out just fine. I sized PC'd mine and got lead build up the first 1/2" in the barrel. Ole wonder schmuck (me) took it for granted the barrel was a .251 diameter. After slugging the barrel it ckecked out at .253 and that project now sits.

I want to make a larger expander, factory LEE is to small and squeezes the boolit to small when you press a boolit in it.

All I'm wondering is with a fatter boolit, if it will fit in the chamber.

I do remember the C.O.L. was shorter than what the books call out. Mine wouldn't cycle at factory length.

GRUMPA,
IF you are Using the TL255-50-RF NOE mold it should have dropped bullets of about .255" band diameter, which should allow sizing properly for your .253" Groove diameter Barrel.
Unless, of course you stated the measured Bore Diameter! then the Grooves would be even Larger and you may need a Custom bullet mold after all; OR Start with .258" diameter Lead Alloy bullets and size them to .001" over Groove diameter.
I believe NOE lists some in their '.260" series'.
Jacketed Bullets CAN be resized down successfully IF LUBED FIRST! I know because I thoroughly 'Stuck' a un-lubericated Jacketed bullet in a Lee Push through Sizing die. Lee Graciously replaced the sizing die after trying to lap the Galled Jacket material out of my die first.
Just took ONE Stuck bullet to ruin that sizing die.

Chev. William

GRUMPA
08-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Yes it was the groove dia I called out. I'm not keen on the idea of buying j-words, except in the high power stuff which pretty much goes with rifles. I have j-words for the 25 but heck if I can make the goofy things at a fraction of the cost I'm gonna do it..

Chev. William
11-10-2018, 02:53 PM
any suggestions on what mold to get?

What as cast dia should I look for?

As cast diameter can be anything over .253" for use in correct .25ACP or 6,35 Browning dimensioned bore and groove diameter barrels. if you need to cast for a Taurus .25 Auto barrel , then .256" might be a better starting 'as cast' diameter.

NOE now has a 'cheery' designed to cut two different weight molds for nominal .255" diameter which are suitable for sizing to .25ACP/6,35 Browning diameter after tumble lube. I use a Lee .251" or .252" push through sizing die to fit my Lothar Walther derived Barrel(s). LW barrel Blanks are made to CIP dimensions and are manufactured with .001" tolerance on bore and Groove diameters according to what the L.W. USA office told me.

The NOE mold names are TC255-50-RF and TC255-65-RF and are partt of the 'Ranch Dog' design series bullet molds.

Chev. William
11-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Yes it was the groove dia I called out. I'm not keen on the idea of buying j-words, except in the high power stuff which pretty much goes with rifles. I have j-words for the 25 but heck if I can make the goofy things at a fraction of the cost I'm gonna do it..

Grumpa,
I have successfully resized after Tumble lubing Hornady #2510 60 grain J-word .257" diameter down to .250" diameter so it is doable successfully (100 percent yield when lube before size).
Since .250" is my Rifle Barrel's Groove diameter, I assume they "Bump up" to just fit the Groove diameter upon firing. Residual lube remains on them after sizing and loading into cases so I have not experienced any Copper fouling to date in my shooting them.

This brings up the Question: Is Copper Fouling due to firing Unlubed Jacketed Bullets?

Chev. William

Adam20
11-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Chev.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?367928-R-i-p-Grumpa-(matt-overhage)

smkummer
11-10-2018, 04:15 PM
I am using lyman’s 252435 51 grain round nose that has been discontinued maybe 15 years ago. They do from time to time show up on eBay and here. Was initially worried about sizing it but as cast it fits and functions in both a pre-war vest pocket colt and a postwar colt/ astra. I use a 22 short case for the powder charge. Good luck finding your empties outside unless you put down a shooting mat.

Chev. William
11-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Chev.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?367928-R-i-p-Grumpa-(matt-overhage)

Sadly, I did not know of his passing.
Chev. William

Ranch Dog
11-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Great to see other 25 Auto casters and reloaders. The NOE bullet is a Ranch Dog design, the second version; I changed it to a bore rider so that the body could be sized down.

I've shot a bunch of them through my Taurus 25PLY; I carry it while running my raccoon traps. I reload the cartridges on a Lee Load-Master (Lee had a special run of shell plates a couple of years ago).

https://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/25PLY/reloading/images/loadmaster_02.jpg

I use 1.7-grains of Unique, the old Hercules Unique, and use the Lee Auto Drum to drop the charge.

https://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/25PLY/TMT/cartridges/25PLY_08.jpg

Chev. William
11-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Ranch Dog,
Thanks for looking in.
I am sizing my cast bullets to .252" for a .251" Groove L.W. derived Barrel on a Ruger "Single Eight" revolver conversion to CF from RF.
My Case are running .278"-.276" and I had a Custom Chamber reamer cut to .2795" body diameter as a straight parallel wall cylinder for reaming a new aftermarket 8-shot cylinder (1144) Alloy Steel) originally made as a .22Mag. cylinder for the Ruger Single Six.
My Original Conversion used a 8-shot cylinder with tapered chambers cut with a Standard .25ACP reamer and every case fired had a circumferential 'bulge' just forward of the Web. I am hoping my new reamer corrects that problem.

With the tapered chambers I have fired 50 Grain JRN bullets ahead of 3.1 grains of BE-86 propellant with an estimated pressure of between 25,000psi and 30,000psi Pmax MAP. I do not have velocity readings on the load; but it caused about twice the Muzzle rise as a factory PPU .25ACP cartridge fired about the same time on the same day. Also, the load had a 'crack' sound through both ear plugs and noise ear muffs that the factory cartridge did not have.

Chev. William

Chev. William
11-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Good News for my Thanksgiving:
John Taylor notified vi a email Progress report that my .25ACP custom barrel, Ruger Standard Auto Receiver and CF modified bolt were successfully test fired using his Grip Frame.

May Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

Chev. William

Houstonian
11-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Great news Will, please keep us posted on this very interesting project.

Chev. William
12-11-2018, 12:16 AM
Happy News!!!

Today, December 10th, I received back my receiver with the Mounted .25ACP custom barrel and the CF converted Bolt along with my Two 'takeoff 4-3/4" Ruger Barrels and My custom chamber reamer, all wrapped and packed with Newspaper and shipping tape in a Cardboard box sealed with Filament Shipping Tape; very well Protected.

The Barrel machining and finish is lovely with a finished length of 8-1/8 inches and the Muzzle is threaded 1/2-28 (UNEF?).

The Thread protector is knurled and finished Blued, the Cleaning Crown Protector is also knurled and finished blued.

John made and fitted a Square front sight that is also finished Blued.

The Color match to the receiver looks exact under interior Lighting, it was already dark out when they were delivered so I will wait until tomorrow to view it in Sunlight, if it is not overcast tomorrow.

I note on the two Ruger "Takeoff" 4-3/4" barrels, the thread is apparently 'clocked' to start about even with the Extractor slot and the 'seating shoulders' are of Two different lengths, possibly to adjust for variations in receiver and barrel machining.

John's Invoice included with the items was dated 11/16/2018 and the 'Terms' listed is "Due Yesterday" But since I mailed the check for the remainder on December 4th, I guess he is happy too.

Now to get an Adjustable Rear Sight installed and make the magazines for the Firearm.

My Christmas Came early this year!

Chev. William

P Flados
12-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Congrats on getting the "new toy".

Please do some range testing and share the results even if you have to single load rounds into the chamber.

Mr_Sheesh
12-12-2018, 04:03 AM
I am also curious about how much the total project cost, just a "Hmmm wonder if that's a worthy project or too costly and I'll watch vicariously" thing :)

Chev. William
12-15-2018, 12:32 AM
First: I was informed by my Local Gun Shop and Gunsmith that a threaded muzzle on a semi-auto pistol under Current California Laws And Regulations would be considered a Banned 'Assault Weapon'; so I have removed the Threads from my barrel's muzzle by turning them off.

Specific cost to date:
Used Ruger SR MKII Pistol = ~$300 including transfer fees and taxes.
John Taylor's machine work and finishing = $432.
Lothar Walther Barrel blank Remanent = ~$100 (current LW 23.8"x1.1" Cr-Mo .25ACP blank is about $220 plus taxes and shipping added).
Various shipping and mail charges to date = ~20.

Estimates of future costs:
Aftermarket "Beretta 950 8 shot magazines ~$18 each and at least two required for each magazine build.
"Flight Weld" cost to do TIG welding on each Magazine = ~$10.
Holster to fit made from a reproduction WW2 M1911 Pistol holster
where basic holster cost ~$40 and
saddle-maker time and materials to lengthen to fit long barrel = ~$100
Estimated cost of a 'surplus Duty belt' =$19.

Note: this holster attaches to a WW2 type 'Duty Belt' eyelets via a formed Hard Brass wire hangar. It is equipped with a 'point hinge' to allow sitting or crouching without tearing the leather attach piece. It is designed with a Military full flap to cover the grip and breech area when gun is in the Holster.

I hope these figures answer the questions on project costs.
Chev. William

Blammer
12-15-2018, 05:38 PM
pics or it didn't happen! :)

Chev. William
12-17-2018, 01:00 AM
Per Requests Finally, Photos:
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/1132a89e-68c0-4733-b5f3-1cc6f8507482_zpsfax2euw1.jpg
The Modified Bolt Face. Note the enlarged Rim rebate to fit the .25ACP rim and the Centered round firing pin tip.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/dea93ba0-c689-49c1-94b9-47faab8563de_zpsjmpo81nu.jpg
The top view of the Bolt with recoil assembly removed to show the new firing pin in its channel.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/689ba1d1-360a-40e6-b683-ccdf682b8b0a_zpsysgn9g92.jpg
Left side of Modified MKII pistol with its new ~8" Barrel.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/0d25132f-0c8d-444d-92ee-414db2a33622_zpsn4jgp6ay.jpg
Right side of Modified MKII pistol with its ~8" long Barrel.

These Photos were taken by my Friend with a Camera that has a "Macro" Photo Capability.

Chev. William

P Flados
12-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Now that is one sweet looking 25 acp woods gun.

If I could find a spare bolt assembly, working up a 22 ladybug conversion for my ancient 6" Ruger 22 Auto looks more possible than I would have thought.

Chev. William
12-17-2018, 10:31 PM
P Flados, I agree it is a lovely piece of work in a simple understated way.

I am wondering if my wrist is strong enough to "Off Hand Standing" shoot accurately as it is capable. I am hoping to be able to hit 100 yard gongs consistently with it.

This, for the time being, is functionally a 'Single shot auto eject' handgun that will require manual loading for each shot.
At this time there are NO Magazines in existence, that I know of, to feed .25ACP cartridges into this action.

As a side note: the piece of 5/16"x1"x18" A2 Alloy steel I ordered via Ebay is somewhere in the Hands of USPS moving Eastward from San Antonio, TX after being as Close as Santa Clarita, CA for Delivery to me in Sun Valley, CA The original promised Delivery date was Dec. 12th, 2018. Who know when, or if, it will be delivered to me?

Chev. William

mozeppa
12-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Chev.

have you approched any of the magazine makers about maybe custom making you a few mags?

say..wilson?...magtech? ...others?

Chev. William
12-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Chev.

have you approched any of the magazine makers about maybe custom making you a few mags?

say..wilson?...magtech? ...others?

No, I had not thought of that route as past responses seemed to not encourage such custom magazine builds from high production shops.

i will consider trying that approach though.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-27-2018, 12:43 AM
Beretta America Said not likely As All their Prodiction i sfrom Stampe daznd Formed Flat sheets and they estimate the Tooling to make such a special Magazine would cost around $40,000.00; Far Beyond MY Budget and Finances.

December 27th My Special Effects Friend and I are planning a "Range day" for 'fun and relaxation' with several firearms from .22LR to 38, and possibly larger depending on what my friend decides to bring along.

We will NOT be taking the chronograph as this is intended as "Fun and Relaxation"; not a 'working technical session'.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Now that is one sweet looking 25 acp woods gun.

If I could find a spare bolt assembly, working up a 22 ladybug conversion for my ancient 6" Ruger 22 Auto looks more possible than I would have thought.

Watch Ebay for "Ruger Pistol Bolt". I found several offers for Bolt assemblies and bolt bodies only. NOTE, by my experiments it seems MKI, MKII, MKIII, and MKIV bolts will function in Ruger Pre-MK and MKII pistols although some Newer "features ar enot used/redundant. I bought a 'broken' MKI bolt assembly and a MKIV bolt assembly to test out before I sent my MKII Receiver/Barrel assembly and Bolt assembly to John Taylor for conversion and Machining/Fitting a .25ACP barrel.

I find the Extractor, firing pin, Recoil assembly and related cuts and pins all interchange between MKs; EXCEPT the Pre-mark and MKI firing pin does not use a rebound spring or guide as found.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Yesterday i Took a "Range Day" to have some "Fun and Relaxation" yet found tha t a Whole Bunch of People had the same idea at similar time.

Eventually, I fired my converted .25ACP MKII Pistol and My Pre-MK .22LR Pistol; both as Single Shot for comparison.
- Both Balance about the same, feeling slightly muzzle heavy without any magazine in them.
- Both are capable of Better Accuracy "Standing Off Hand" than I am at this time.
- The .25ACP pistol 'patterned' well at 50 yards, a bit high and to the Left. Windage adjustment brought the pattern into alignment but I had to use "Kentucky" POI correction for the High problem as I did Not have a tool to adjust the Allen Socket head Elevation Screw with me. I have Since replaced the Allen socket head with a slotted head elevation Screw. Next time at the range I will be able to adjust it with my normal tools.
- The Bolt 'recoil' seems to be similar between the two pistols as far as I could tell.
- The Ejected cases seem to go to the same angle and distance.
- Muzzle rise was similar, and Low.

The .25ACP Pistol has a .125" wide rear Sight notch, my .22LR Pistol has a narrower notch and seems to be easier to reacquire the target after reloading; so I may change the rear sight 'blade' later.

So far, I am Very Pleased with the way this project is turning out.
Costs have been reasonable, performance is good to excellent, accuracy is better than I can hold 'Standing Off Hand'; leaving me 'room to self improve'.

Now to make Magazines to Fit!

Best Regards for the Coming New Year Eve/Day and the Year To Come,
Chev. William

Chev. William
01-08-2019, 09:59 PM
This last Weekend, December 5-6, 2018, I was able to use my Friends Special Effects shop machine tools for both afternoons/early evenings.
The time was used to Rough out a Form Tool to remake a Beretta "950" .25ACP magazine body into a top portion of a Magazine to fit my .25ACP Ruger Pistol conversion.

Saturday was Spent reducing the Width and thickness of the 9 inch long A2 Alloy Tool Steel blank so it would fit the interior of the Beretta Magazine closely, then trimming one end to the approximate feed angle of the Ruger Pistol, marking the feed lip forming area needed, notching the tool and then employing a bench mounted narrow abrasive belt 'sander' to carve the feed lip inside radius onto the forming area.

Sunday was spent trimming one Beretta magazine body to the same 'feed angle, marking and cutting the end for feed lips, and then after clamping the body onto the Form Tool, hammering the Lips onto the body.
A rough cut was made to remove the flange at the bottom of the Magazine body, then it was 'dressed,' to remove burrs, and tried in my pistol grip frame/receiver for fit.
It Did slide fully into the Grip frame and up near the point where The bolt would strip a cartridge eventually; but i still had to notch the back edge to clear the bolt bottom rib that strips off The cartridge to be chambered.

The last operation of Sunday evening was to use a 'Dremel" fine abrasive cutoff wheel to cut the Notch.
By this time I was Shivering in the Unheated and open Shop so I cleaned up, packed up , and left for home.

This last weekend was Rainy wet and Shivering cold outside, with about half an inch of Rainfall Saturday and more Sunday. Enough to trigger some Flash Flood watches and mud slides in burned off Areas nearby.

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-26-2019, 03:09 PM
More Intermittent Rain through end of December and into January with Relatively cold, for Southern California, Temperatures and WIND some days.
Basically made work in my outside reloading area untenable. The Special Effects Shop weekends were not available the rest of December and so far in January. so no work on my Projects, Booooo.

Blammer
01-29-2019, 08:16 PM
so you wonder why some gun makers don't make a decent 25acp...

Chev. William
01-31-2019, 04:09 PM
so you wonder why some gun makers don't make a decent 25acp...

I don't "Wonder" because I think I know so. I believe the "strangled" development of the cartridge in combination with International, and NRA National, competition rules, plus the tendency to buiid the smallest, most concealable, designs in this caliber have compounded the Problems; at least in the USA and California in particular.

California absolutely 'hates' tiny, easily concealed, and inexpensive firearms. This 'feeling' has flowed to encompass even Expensive concealable pistols. And now is strangling the California sale of any pistol, many rifles, and some shotguns. The Latest is a ban on mail-order Ammo purchases and requiring a NCIBCS Background check to purchase any ammo.

Bad for California Law abiding Citizens that love the Second amendment.

Just consider what 'might have been' if the .25ACP had developed with a Test Barrel Length of 24 inches, like the .22LR cartridge, instead of 6 inches.

I am confident its performance would be on par, if not better, than the .22LR with equal development out of equal barrel lengths.
Consider that the .25ACP case length is about the same as the .22LR case length.

A probable normal progression would have been to introduce a version with case length similar to the .22WRF (about .960"); followed by a version with a length similar ti that of the .22WMR case (at 1.055"); and perhaps even going to a length similar to the .25 Stevens RF cartridge (at about 1.125").

Another possible development line would have been a parallel development of higher pressure versions that are not limited to 25,000psi MAP. Consider what performance improvements 'could have been' if a MAP of 30,000psi, or 40,000psi, or even 50,000psi cartridge were developed in these Sizes.

I know from my experiments that Ruger "Single Six" and "Standard Auto" are robust enough to be developed for such higher pressure cartridges.

I have fired Grade 7 Powder Actuated Tool Loads in a Ruger Standard Auto fitted with a Blank Firing 'furnace' Adapter; with no damage to the Stock pistol (total about 400 Blanks over my use period).

I have fired about 350 rounds of .25ACP Factory ammo and similar numbers of Hand loads through my Converted "Ruger .25ACP Single Eight" ranging from Factory Privi Partisan and Fiocchi ammo and up to hand loads of 3.1 grains of BE-86 behind 50 grain FMJ and 63 grain Cast Lead with no damage nor deductible injury to my revolver.

ADDED 20190221: A converted Ruger .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol is still in development, as I still need to make magazines to feed it .25ACP cartridges; but I have fired about 200 total .25ACP Factory cartridges through it in 'Single shot Auto Eject' mode to date; with no damage or failures detected. It does throw the empties where I do not find them at my local Commercial Outdoor Range.

I am planning to buy some cases from 'once fired' Range Brass dealers in the near future.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Still Wet, Windy, and Cold here. The Trees are now grey and bare of their Leaves or dead needles with some pine boughs blown off also.
The Olive tree in my back yard has had all the last years' fruit blown off and it litters the ground around the tree. Oh well, they will decay and nourish the next year's crop.

It is Nice to see my yards Green again, even if it is only temporary until shortly after the rains are over for the year.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Today I ordered a Lot of 500 .25ACP once fired Cases from Diamond K for $70.00 which is about $14/100 similar to the Lowest priced new .25ACP brass I have seen advertised. I am looking forward to see hat hthis lot is like.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-21-2019, 01:34 PM
The Lot of 500ea .25ACP once fired cases came, was cleaned in a Vibratory Tumbler Overnight to remove most dirt and 'Range Tarnish' and is now stored in a "Fat50" Ammo can to await Decapping, sorting by Head Stamp, and Counting.

Weather Here has been 'Sprinkles and Rainy' here for the last few days and continues that way today, so no reloading shop work outside in the damp is planned.

Chev. William