PDA

View Full Version : Mold screws to handle loosen while casting

ron orcutt
07-22-2018, 12:58 PM
I have s Paul Jones mold 535 gr. It casts perfectly but I have to keep my eye on screws that mount it to handle. I don’t know if there is a loctite product that will stand the heat. Any one have a similar issue and how was it corrected. Thanks

country gent
07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
If norml crews find a bellville washer or star washer that fits under head and use it as a lock washer

WALLNUTT
07-22-2018, 06:45 PM
tighten them

lightman
07-28-2018, 09:55 AM
A Friend that cast with me has this same problem with a 4 cavity Lyman mold. It doesn't matter how much you tighten the screw, it eventually backs out. The screw is completely recessed in the mold so I don't know if any kind of lock washer will work. Anyone else have this problem and a fix for it?

Grmps
07-28-2018, 10:30 AM
You could try a thin strand of electric wire in each hole.
If the screws recess you could fill the holes with molten lead

nvbirdman
07-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Try an allen screw. You can tighten it just that little bit more so it will stay tight.

gwpercle
08-05-2018, 06:01 PM
You could try a thin strand of electric wire in each hole.
If the screws recess you could fill the holes with molten lead

A few strands of 0000 steel wool will also work. Wind the strands around the threads and reinstall . I kept a screw driver handy until I did the steel wool trick....the screws haven't loosened since doing it ...I'm a big believer in steel wool strands to stop screws from backing out.
Gary