PDA

View Full Version : Project convert Redding T7 toolhead to 1-1/4-12 from 7/8-14 DONE!!!

AbitNutz
07-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Bout a week ago I threw out a project to this forum to see if I could find a machinist to convert a Redding T-7 Toolhead from 7/8-14 to 1-1/4-12. Little did I know how big a job this would be. Also, little did I know how great and talented the people really are who frequent these forums.

The gentleman that contacted me goes by the name KADADOG. His work was impeccable, his speed on getting it done make the Star Ship Enterprise look like it was tied to an intergalactic stump.

I can't say enough good things about him or how he rescued me and my project. The truth is, this project could have turned out to be a nightmare if the wrong guy hand got a hold of it.

So again, my thanks to KADADOG and these forums. If anyone needs some custom machine work done and he is willing to do it, I wouldn't hesitate.

deltaenterprizes
07-22-2018, 10:08 AM
How did he do it?

AbitNutz
07-22-2018, 11:15 AM
He had hardcore equipment...milling machine and other machines that had a lot of zeros behind them. It still was a bear to set up because all 7 holes had to index correctly.

The only thing that let him volunteer to do it was that he had the tap size. A 1-1/4-12 tap is not cheap. The man swages his own 50 cal bullets so he knows all about those oversize dies. Me, I'm just messing with 450 Nitro Express and the like.

Like I said, I couldn't be happier.

You may not be able to see a great deal from these pictures as I don't have before and after pictures. I have a Hornady L-n-L conversion bushing over one hole, which may help.224096224097

Nueces
07-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Out-bloomin-standing!

W.R.Buchanan
07-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Yeah, the problem was finding the location of the holes correctly. It is not easy to find the actual center of a threaded hole.

Glad it worked out.

Randy