PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price For A Star lubri/Sizer?

enfieldphile
09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
There is a guy who hauls a Star Lubri/Sizer to all the gun shows that come here.

What's a fair offer for it? I recall it may have a .451 die in in and a top punch or 2.

Gun show in 6 or 7 weeks

Thanks, enfieldphile :castmine:

HeavyMetal
09-20-2008, 12:41 AM
4 months ago, at the Costa Mesa Gun show, I bought a Star minus the die with a flat top punch for $175.00 and thought I got a good deal! To find one I had to ask every guy at the show who handled reloading gear, this guy had said he had one at the Ontario show about 6 weeks earlier and we did some phone calls before we agreed upon a price, pending my approval of the unit, that we could both live with!

I've seen them on evil bay go for 195 to 235 so that's the working range for a decent unit with a die and punch I would not pay more you can get a new one for 250 at Magma, so says there advertisment in Handloader August issue, but I think that's without a die or punch.

Personnelly? $200 would be my limit for a used one Period!

jameslovesjammie
09-20-2008, 12:49 AM
I paid $175 for mine with a .358 die and flat top punch. Mine is an actual Star, not a Magma. It was pretty gunked up when I got it, but a good cleaning did the trick. Missing some paint and the handle has a small crack in it, but fully functional.

Springfield
09-20-2008, 02:45 AM
They cost 250 new with no dies. They rarely wear out so if it isn't all rusty it will work well for you. The new Magma sizers work exactly like the old Stars( I have both) so that really isn't an issue. I personally like to pay half as much for used tools, but in this case maybe 75% is still fair.

happy7
09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Is there any advantage to getting a new magma over a used star? This is what I have been wondering. I'm hoping to get one next year.

Down South
09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't see any advantage by buying new unless you can't find a used one at a good price. I'd love to find a couple used ones at 1/2 or so price. I have one Star now and I bought it new. I would have gladly bought a used one if I could have found it. Lathesmith makes dies and top punches a lot cheaper than Magma too.

AzShooter
09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I lucked into one for $150 from a guy that still had it new in the box. Best investment I've made.

I buy my dies from Lathesmith. He does a great job and the price is fantastic.

Springfield
09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
The main advantage of new is you can buy it now and use it instead of waiting for years for a good deal. Plus you know it is new and will work and has a warranty. I have one new and 2 used. I bought the new one first and THEN looked for good deals, but it took a couple years.

Jon K
09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
They cost 250 new with no dies. They rarely wear out so if it isn't all rusty it will work well for you. The new Magma sizers work exactly like the old Stars( I have both) so that really isn't an issue. I personally like to pay half as much for used tools, but in this case maybe 75% is still fair.

When was the last time you saw one for half price?...........Last one I saw was all rusty, no handle, and no die removal tool, but had 3 dies $100 about 5 years ago. don't think you'll see the too cheap anymore.

Jon

HeavyMetal
09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Seems everybody that has a Star knows what it's worth.

Reckon half price would be 125 bucks! Let us kow how that search works out.

runfiverun
09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
i went the same route as springfield. i now have two totally worn out original stars,
and one broke in magma star, am considering buying a new one versus re-building the two older ones.
man, it takes a LOT of boolits to wear one of these out though. lots and lots of boolits.

Down South
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
I think about the only to find a good deal on a used one is to buy from the individual that has it or an estate auction. You sure won't fine one cheap on Flea Bay. I’d love to have one or two more.

Shotgun Luckey
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll gladly give $125 for a Star if someone wants to sell one or 2....Heck, I'll even pay for the shipping

HATCH
09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
hell there is a used one on ebay that ends in 2 hours for $82
It isn't complete and missing parts

gds
09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
You guys might be mad. I picked up one at a gunshop several months ago with a .358 die and top punch. It also included a 6 cavity 148 wadcutter mold. I gave $90 for it, all of it.

AzShooter
10-01-2008, 01:47 AM
There's one on Ebay now for $170. It's the old Star and looks good. If I didn't have one I'd buy it.

Pitmaster
10-02-2008, 05:42 AM
There's one on Ebay now for $170. It's the old Star and looks good. If I didn't have one I'd buy it.

Its mine now. I hope you didn't tip the last bid up and cost me an additional $20. :mrgreen:

Jimlakeside
10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Since I live in the sticks there are no gun shows to go to within reason, my choice was to buy a new one (about $320 including dies, & shipping) or buy a used one off ebay. There have been several lately for sale. One went for $160.00 for parts!! A Star in very good condition will bring $200.00 on ebay. It will usually have a top punch and at least one die with it. I paid $219.00 including shipping for a Star in excellent condition with the die I needed. I am happy to get it. I ordered a manual from Magma Engineering and I waiting for it to arrive.

Jon K
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM
The manual for the Star is downloadable online. Browse the Magma Engineering site, you'll see it.

Jon

Shotgun Luckey
10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I've looked and haven't been able to find the manual online...but I have a copy

Jon K
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
You're right, it's not there. They have changed the website. It was a pdf file in the old website. It's been about a year since I went to the website.

Sorry,

Jon

cajun shooter
10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
They just had a auction finish for a star with one die on fleabay and it went for 267.00 before shipping!! What I wouldn't give for a truck load of Stars!!! And they say that were in a depression; someone is still sitting with a pocket full of dead presidents!!

EDK
10-03-2008, 03:23 AM
If you have some yankee dollars in your pockets, there's a lot of bargains to be had....and a whole bunch more coming!

Watch the pawn shops and gun shows and internet auctions. There will be a lot of items showing up as we get closer to the holidays. Sporting goods are one of the first places to feel bad economic times. BUT on the other hand, Bryan Pearce(in the latest HANDLOADER?) claims LYMAN representatives told him sales of reloading equipment are up, (but there has to be some lead time on magazine articles.)

You don't want to profit by someone elses' bad luck, but keep your eyes open.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Shotgun Luckey
10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
e-bay just had one go for $227...and a few days ago someone bought a sizing die and top punch for $48 plus shipping....I thought we got into this to SAVE money

mtgrs737
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
To me I would think that $175 plus shipping for a Star in good shape would be about top price. New ones are about $250 + shipping, however some folks want the original Stars that were made in San Diego for what ever reason and are willing to pay more especially if the decal on the base is in good shape. I have two vintage stars that had poor paint with lots of chips etc. so I stripped and repainted them both and they look almost brand new! It is easy to paint them using Krylon Navy Blue spray paint and it is almost a perfect match in color, you would need to put the original side by side to see the difference. Now if I could find a couple of repro stickers I would have two vintage stars.

I highly recomend the air cylinder upgrade for the lube reseviour, adjustable heater, and the roller handle, they make the best bullet sizer even better!

FN in MT
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm torn on buying a new STAR. I've got an older RCBS luber but it's FAR slower than the STARs.

E mailed Magma Engineering last week inquiring if they had any in stock. NEVER got a reply. THAT doesn't instill much confidence.

Anyone else sell the STAR??

FN in MT

Shotgun Luckey
10-23-2008, 09:34 PM
there is one on evil-bay for $255 with 2 sizer dies and punch...but FREE shipping!!!!