PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA

Poygan
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
My Midway 1292 tumbler went out in a blaze of glory (literally!) several weeks ago. I called Midway to see if I could buy a replacement motor but they didn't carry that model anymore. I bought this tumbler in April of 1995 BTW. The gent I talked to transferred me to a lady who said they would replace it FREE if I returned the old 1292.

Shipped it off a week ago last Monday and the little brown truck brought me a new Frankfort tumbler today.

We tend to complain when we feel we receive poor service so I thought it only fair to give Midway and the crew there a tip of the Poygan hat for customer service above and beyond.

jdgabbard
09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Midway has always done me right. I think they have excellent customer service.

docone31
09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree. Midway is in another category.
I also write kudos on their feedback areas on each item I get. I tell what happened, and the experience with Midway.
To date, I have not gotten anything that resulted in dissatisfaction from Midway. I am talking over a period of over 15yrs.
I go to them first.

Heavy lead
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
me 2. Sometimes I hear people complain about pricing with them, but sometimes you pay for good service. This story shows they go above and beyond.

timkelley
09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
They have been treating me right for nearly 30 years.

pincherpartner
09-20-2008, 11:26 AM
The only complaint I've ever had was when a box of 1000 bullets opened up in the box of styrofoam. What a mess! But now I cast and don't have that problem:-D

buck1
09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Yep their good folks over there, high dollar , but nice.

Ghugly
09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Newegg for computer parts and Midway for reloading stuff. Both first-rate, professional companies. I've tried other companies and, to be fair, I've had pretty good luck saving a buck here and a buck there over Midway but, it's seldom more than a buck or two. And, like Newegg, it's worth a dollar or two, to me, for the outstanding service.

I try to get my stuff locally. I really do believe in supporting the local merchants, unfortunately, it seems to be too little, too late. Unless, of course, you consider Wal-Mart to be a local merchant.

Chunky Monkey
09-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Other than the higher than average shipping they are TOP NOTCH! :drinks:

happy7
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
A+ on variety of items
A+ on speed and accuracy of shipping
A+ on website although it can still be a little slow, it is the best one out there.
C on prices

I have a story on their customer service though which varies with most of the above experiences so maybe I just had bad luck. They had hornady dies on their site clearly labeled 8x50R Hungarian which I wanted for my unrechambered M95. They were labeled 8x50R on the dies so when I got them, all looked right. But I found out later they were actually 8x50R Lebel dies. Anyway, I formed 100 8x56R cases which at the time were not cheap, and they chambered ok, but when I fired them they expanded a great deal to chamber dimensions. I knew something was wrong and gave midway a call. I got punted back and forth from them to Hornady (whose people were very professional) multiple times and finally Midway grudgingly took back the dies but refused to replace the misformed brass. Their attitude was not at all apologetic, but very grudging and surly.

It has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since and I try to buy from Midsouth whenever I can. Midsouth is MUCH cheaper, but unfortunatley does not always have everything in stock, and you need to place a bigger order with them because they charge more for shipping on small orders. Their website is not as good, but if you find what you want on Midway's website, just copy the manufacturere number there and plug it into the search on Midsouth and the item comes right up.

RP
09-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I have one of those tumblers had it for years now they sent me a recall on it stating that they were catching fire and would relace the motor if I sent it back to them. So I still got it with the same motor but now i use it on a metal table away from everthing else in the room in case there is a proplem.

Shiloh
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I have found Midway to have reasonable shipping prices and FAST. I only live a few states away. Sometimes if I order in the Morning at the first of middle of the week, I have it two days later.
They don't always have the best prices on individual items, but as a whole, things average out.

I try to order a minimum of $60-$70 at a time to mitigate shipping costs which have climed dramatically in the last several years.

Shiloh

compass will
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Also deal with midway alot. With a C&R license the prices are a little better.
What I like is when they send me those 20% off coupons in the email. They seem to always send them right after I make a big order :). Last year they hit me up with one for my birthday, might have to save up an order for then.

Fixxah
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I bought the Berry's kit when I first started loading last Feb. I used it a handful of times with around 200 .45 ACP cases and it took a while to clean them. Someone at one of my clubs sold me a new NIB Cabela's and this will easily do 350 cases, and it only cost me $35. Now with two going it is a short time to clean 1,000 in a few hours.

Midway has taken a lot of my $$$$ lately even though they refuse to ship ammo to Mass.

1hole
09-23-2008, 10:43 PM
"Midway has taken a lot of my $$$$ lately even though they refuse to ship ammo to Mass."

I think the problem is with Mass, not Midway. Sorry.

imashooter2
09-23-2008, 10:46 PM
I have dealt with Midway for many years and I've always been satisfied.

Regards the tumblers, I sent my 1292 back for that "catches fire" recall years ago and they returned the same unit with a $10 store credit to compensate me for my shipping. I've run that machine enough that I wore through the plastic bowl a couple of years back. Put a replacement bowl on it and it's still going strong today.

Shipped it off a week ago last Monday and the little brown truck brought me a new Frankfort tumbler today.

Word on the street is those Frankford Arsenal units will last a lot longer if you punch a few large vent holes in the plate they added to seal off the base.

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2008, 07:39 AM
theve treated me right and i have a frankfort arsenal tumbler i use for small batches that the big dillon isnt needed for and its been a good reliable tumbler. Its ran many many hours over the last 7 or 8 years.

Throckmorton
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
They replaced my old tumbler about 2 months ago also.
Very good customer service on that one as my tumbler was several years old..maybe 10?

Thanks,Midway !

mold maker
09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I've dealt with Midway forever and have never had reason to complain. If all I wanted was cheap they wouldn't be my choice, but quality and service beats cheap every time. If you think ahead and watch their sales, their prices equal cheap.
I had the misfortune of one of the first flaming 1292 tumblers. I only called them to warn of a possible product problem, but it was replaced within a week along with fresh media and brass for the remains.
They even remember my birthday. My family sometimes forgets that.

Tom Herman
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Their service is great, although sometimes it gets maddening when one critical part is backordered, but that isn't their fault.
Shipping does seem to be a bit high, but then I'm all the way over here on the West coast.
20% off certificates? Who do you guys know? I've always had to pay full retail.
Midway saved me a FORTUNE on the Pro-Melt furnace! They had a clearance special, and I saved well over $100 on it as opposed to buying it anywhere else.
I don't mind paying a bit extra for great service.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

remy3424
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
They have always treated me right for around 20 years, I have a business account, maybe that's why I don't get birthday cards!!! An occational 20% discount coupon might be better than the dealer pricing, particliarly on bullets!!

copdills
09-27-2008, 04:28 AM
always had great service from midway, good people sometimes we pay a little higher price for peace of mind, when I order from them I know I know I will get it in about 4days or less, but I always like to talk to a real person on the phone , I haven't ordered from them on the net

ndhole
09-27-2008, 05:20 AM
I've had my midway tumbler for about 15 years and sent it off to have the motor replaced when they had the recall. Never had a problem out of it before or after. They do have great customer service and are fun to haggle with when you catch them at their local gun show or the big one in Tulsa. Lots of great deals on scratch & dent and open box stuff over the years.

Navahojoe
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I placed another order with Midway last night at about 7:42 PM. I forgot to add a $14 item. This morning I thought about it:coffee: and tried to add it to my order. No Dice! Website said a handling charge would be added because I didn't place a large enough order. I got off the computer, and placed a call to Midway. I explained my delemia, Customer Service said, NO PROBLEM! Your order is already in processing and we cannot add to it, but, I can ship the item to you seperately and Midway will pay the shipping. You can't beat that with a stick!

My last order was placed on a Monday night and the brown truck rolled up in my driveway on Wednesday afternoon, same week.
10/11/08
The last Midway order came in last night by UPS and the extra package came in the mail this morning.

My money goes to Midway USA :castmine:

regards from North Alabama,
NavahoJoe

docone31
10-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I placed an order for my wife's Ishy, and for a .314 sizing die. They told me it would come on tuesday, it came on monday. I had time to install the sight and hit the range the next day.
By the by. For those who can use the information. The Williams SMLE reciever sight DIRECTLY fits on the Enfield MKIII, and the Ishapore #2MK2A. That sight makes such a large difference in accuracy it is hard to describe.
My wife was hitting bowling pins at 100yds in five rounds after installation.

9.3X62AL
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Midway has been pretty good to me over the years, close to 20 years I think. I order less from them lately since moving to Ridgecrest, where a small but VERY well-stocked gun shop has most of what I need (primers, powder, a few j-words, brass). I like the convenience of local availability, and the owner's prices are right in line with Midway + shipping. Supporting the local guy is good business, even if he was a few points higher price-wise.

Buckshot
10-09-2008, 02:03 AM
..............I just ordered some stuff from Graf & Son. Checking prices both places and Graf was the same or a few cents more. The one BIG item was a Lyman DPS-3 powder dispenser and Graf was $10 cheaper on it. Midway's estimated shipping was a bit over $17 and that's about what I saved going Graf & Son. Doesn't always work that way as I've checked before, but $17 is $17 afterall :-)

I will say that Midway's website is easier to get around in then Graf's.

...................Buckshot

CastorRiver
10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I recently ordered two Uncle Mike's Reinforced Instructor's Belts from Midway. The first one, a large, was too small for a 41" waist and the second one, an X-large, was way too big for the same waist. I sent the second one back and got a refund ASAP on my card. I sent Larry Potterfield, the founder and honcho, an e-mail via the "contact us" link explaining the problem. He (the president of the company) emailed me back and
1: apologized for the problem
2: offered to take the used too-large belt back for a refund even though I had worn it (with sagging pants), and
3: said he was passing my note along to his tech people to get in touch with Uncle Mike's and see what the problem is at the manufacturing end.

I first patronized Midway when it was a concrete block building outside of Columbia, MO where I was going to Mizzou. I bought cast bullets from them. I have great pride in this company because of their service AND because of the NRA Roundup program that they started. It has generated several Million dollars to hep support our right to Bear and Keep Arms. They used to have free shipping and their prices were really reasonable but the world turns. I got mad when they went to U-pay shipping and minimum order size, but I got over it. FWIW.

Clark
11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I was doing a $2,000/ year, but I stopped doing business with Midway in 2000 and never looked back.

I deal with dozens of outfits now, but mostly BRownells, Midsouth, Graff, Lock stock and barrel, SWFA, Century, AIM, Cabelas, Berrys, Enco, ......

unclebill
11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
i placed an order Thursday morning and got it Friday afternoon.
from Kansas to Colorado overnight?
i couldn't believe it.
at the same time i placed an order with grafs
4 days later and they haven't even acknowledged it!!!!!!
i think i am done with grafs.
i shoulda bought it from midway.
next time i will.

jnovotny
11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Midway U.S.A No one better in the business!!!!!!!!!

James C. Snodgrass
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
:cbpour:Come on fella's the shipping ain't that bad at UPS .You know us teamsters gotta eat to . LOL I've been getting stuff from em since 83' and it's easy. It does help to get it quick if your 140 miles away . I do order from others but not to often and I have gotten some outstanding deals over the years and as far as how much you spend I don't think that matters . I've had $5,000.00 yrs and $50.00 yrs and they always treat me fair. James

Heavy lead
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
:cbpour:Come on fella's the shipping ain't that bad at UPS .You know us teamsters gotta eat to . LOL I've been getting stuff from em since 83' and it's easy. It does help to get it quick if your 140 miles away . I do order from others but not to often and I have gotten some outstanding deals over the years and as far as how much you spend I don't think that matters . I've had $5,000.00 yrs and $50.00 yrs and they always treat me fair. James

I like UPS, I get really fast service from Midway, Grafs, Midsouth, and Natchez, usually 2 or 3 days at most, I'm at least 3 states away from the closest of them. Got no complaints with any of them. Or UPS.

cajun shooter
11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
James, I like the pic of the little BOSTON. My wife and I had a female for 10 years, she was 3 when we got her. Lady went all over this country with us. She passed in 2007 and we still have some very sad feelings for her. We don't know if we are ready yet. Oh by the way I buy from Graf's , Midway, Mid-South, Brownell's and Natchez. They all are good at times. Thats why it's fun to shop fella's and look at all the wish books.

unclebill
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM

i dont know how ups got that to me overnight but i was impressed.
i am also impressed by placing an order with GRAFS and it taking 5 DAYS to acknowledge it
BUT NOT IN A GOOD WAY.:takinWiz:

TNsailorman
11-18-2008, 11:55 PM
I received my order from Midway yesterday. I had ordered Lee hand trim sets for the 8x57mm mauser, the .38 special, and the .357 magnum. The shell holders for the 8x57mm and the .357 mag were threaded at a slight angle and the threads themselves were very crudely cut with burrs and gaps in the threads. The lock studs would only thread into the shellholder part way and then at an angle. Very poor workmanship by Lee. I called Midway and they are sending replacements free of charge at their shipping costs. That's excellent service from a very reputable company but that's always been my experience with Midway.