PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on Portable bench?

jdgabbard
09-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok guys. I currently have a portable reloading bench. It is pretty much a stock Black&Decker Workmate that has the press c-clamped to it with a couple of bins screwed to it, ect...

What I am wanting to do is get rid of the flimsy work tops and put on a heavy dedicated work top. The model I have has a max width and length of about 24" wide by 14" deep.

I saw this

Portable Reloading Bench (http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/portable-shooting-bench-free-plans/)

And kinda like this kind of set up, but wanted to see a few more examples of what other people have done. Any other ideas?

9.3X62AL
09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
That is a pretty slick little arrangement, and better than my first portable reloading bench.

In late 1980, the power lines between the Colorado River and inland southern California were getting re-strung, and part of my patrol assignments in that area lacking ZIP Codes or flush toilets was to "show the flag" a bit to discourage copper cable thefts by the less honorable residents of Eagle Mountain and Mecca. I bumped into one of the contractors for the job one morning, and asked what was done with the many emptied cable spools I saw stacked near the jobsite office trailer. The large ones got re-filled, but the small ones (about 26" around) were for the taking--they weren't re-used. I asked if I could have one, and they said "knock yerself out."

I came back that afternoon off-duty in my truck with refreshments for the contractor and crew. While refreshing ourselves, the guys asked what the h--l I wanted with a cable spool--I told them I would use it as a reloading bench in my apartment's second bedroom. They thought that was a pretty cool idea, and loaded a prime condition specimen into the back of the truck for me.

I set a 2" x 12" about 3' long across one side of the spool, and bolted it in place with a bit of overhang for the press attachment. To move the thing, ya just unbolted the 2 x 12--tipped it on its side--and rolled it around. It served well for 3+ years until I got into my first house and had a garage to build a real workbench within. I still have the 2 x 12, and it is bolted to my reloading bench to attach the Rockchucker and the Lyman 450.

jdgabbard
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I check out the sticky above and noticed a picture or two of the workmates that people have used, but most of them looked like they had just bolted a board on the top of them. I'm thinking about using this design, but adding a few small shelfs or drawers. Just trying to see some more of what other people have done with similar designs that I can borrow from.

Dale53
09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
jdgabbard;
Just a little tip that you may already have considered. Whatever fasteners you use to build the top, be sure and glue ALL joints. It will be MUCH sturdier. For these type of projects I have found Gorilla Glue to work well although a good quality general wood glue would NOT be out of place.

Good luck with your project - I have seen several of these "in the flesh" and they all seemed to work well where you had limited space.

Dale53

jdgabbard
09-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I have considered that. I believe I may actually enlist the help of my father for this project. He loves working with wood, and always seems to be looking for something to tinker with, even if he rarely finishes his projects. As for myself, I always finish, but I'm not the greatest craftsman.

crabo
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I just bolted a piece of wood to the top. Mine holds 2 Square Deals and a Star lubrisizer. I'm now thinking about adding the Lee Classic Turrent I Just bought. I might need to go to a ittle larger piece of mdf. I have a nice garage with my casting stuff, but I would rather reload in the house.

DLCTEX
09-20-2008, 12:01 AM
The portable loading bench I made is topped by 2X6's edge joined with biscuits and gorilla glue. The thicker top gives all the stability I need for heavy work with the Rock Chucker, progressive shotshell loaders, or boolit sizing/lubing. There are holes drilled for all the bolt patterns so thateach is quickly installed/removed. Edges of boards were jointed with a trim bit in a router guided by an aluminum straight edge. DALE

jdgabbard
09-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Crabo, nice setup. I do not have that much equipment. However, I think your's will be a little more spacious then mine. As I like to have several bins, powder meter, scale (digital) and several loading blocks at hand. Thats why I am thinking of going with an upper deck along with some holes for the bins. I have a method that I prefer. Example, taking out of one bin, size and deprime, into the next bin. Then prime and neck expand, into the next bin, ect.

Dale, I think I am going to try going with either 1/2 - 3/4 inch plywood, with a steal (probably 1/8) underneath to give the extra stability. I think 2x6s will make it a little heavier then I would like, as well as a little more time consuming when cleaning any spilled powder from the cracks between the 2x6s. Though I could be wrong.

Ultimately what I am looking at is something that is functional, efficient, has a little more work space then what my table will hold with a flat top, and still not weigh as much as my ex wife. ;)

Dale53
09-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I have had good luck using A-C grade plywood with the "bad" faces glued together. I used two sheets of 3/4" for my casting bench and it worked out wonderfully! That made a very strong 1.5" thick top that was without cracks, etc. Then you can finish it as you wish.

Dale53

jdgabbard
09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, I wont be doing casting with this one. That will be reserved for my dedicated bench back home. This one is just for my apt. ;) Its nice having some equipment to tinker with wherever you rest you eyes. That said I think I can get away with just one sheet. And could probably get away with just 1/2 with a steal plate underneath. But I probably will be doing some work with a lube/sizer on it, so I will probably end up using 3/4 since I would hate to put a bit of work into it only to have it come apart on me.

45nut
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Something like this may work for you, this is a folding shooting bench design I came up with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/misc/100_0685.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/misc/100_0686.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/misc/100_0687.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/misc/100_0688.jpg

jdgabbard
09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
What is the frame from? Some kind of metal saw-horse?

mdi
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
For my B&D type portable I used a piece of 3/4" countertop. Screwed a piece of 2x4 to the bottom of the countertop and bolted the press and vise to that. Clamp into the B&D when needed. Heavy enough to add stability.

jmorris
09-21-2008, 12:51 PM
For working up loads for IDPA/USPSA I use a SD that mounts on a bracket I built that fits into a 2” receiver. It’s one of the most stable mounts I’ve reloaded on.

montana_charlie
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I like to have several bins, powder meter, scale (digital) and several loading blocks at hand. Thats why I am thinking of going with an upper deck along with some holes for the bins.
If you can place your portable bench against a blank piece of wall, you can create as many 'upper levels' as you want by using that type of shelving that has two slotted strips screwed to the wall, and matching brackets placed in the slots.
Then you lay boards across the brackets.

I use this kind of shelving above my bench, but the two vertical standards are shaped so they rest on the floor, and are only anchored to the wall at the top.
With the floor holding the weight, I can put most anything on the shelves, and the lowest one is at the right height (and stable enough) for keeping my powder scale at eye level.

This also isolates the bearings and pivot knives (in the scale) from the vibrations of the loading bench.
CM

jdgabbard
09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
If you can place your portable bench against a blank piece of wall, you can create as many 'upper levels' as you want by using that type of shelving that has two slotted strips screwed to the wall, and matching brackets placed in the slots.
Then you lay boards across the brackets.
CM

But the idea is being portable so I can take 'em with me. I think what I am going to do is go with the design in the link I provided above. Change the height on the on the second shelf to 8 inches (from 6), extend it in the back so I have a little more room to work with, and divide up some little holes for putting whatever I need in. I think it will work out well. But I'll have to wait until next weekend when I head south to my home to begin working on it.

Will post pics when I'm done.

R Lewis
09-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Here is one I built a couple years ago. I have included some rough plans if you decide to build.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/rlewis9932/IMG_4538.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/rlewis9932/IMG_4540.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/rlewis9932/PortableReloadingBench.jpg

Dale53
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
R Lewis;
That is a workman like job that would do credit to a cabinet maker. It is obviously well engineered, so it should last forever. It would work well for most anyone who has limited space. In fact, with your permission, I would like to book mark this post for people at my local club who are always asking "how to start".

Excellent job!

Dale53

R Lewis
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Dale53,

By all means you are welcome to pass this along to anyone and everyone. Thank you for the compliments.

R Lewis
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
JD Gabbard,

Just saw the link in your first post. This thing gets around. Sorry for posting again.

Frank46
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Just in the process of making a small portable workbench to use outside. Will be taking off the handles, screws, and wood tops of the workmate. Then two 24x24" pieces of plywood will be glued and screwed together and then set on top of a couple 2x4's and held on the stripped down workmate. I'll be mounting a small bench vise on top of a 2" piece of old maple laminated bench top just slightly bigger than the footprint of the vise. Will drill through the center of the maple block and the plywood and countersink it. this way only have to loosen one nut and be able to rotate in any direction. Hopefully will get a woodworker's vise and do the same thing.
Will still be portable though. Maybe this will give you some ideas about your workmate. Frank

copdills
09-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for sharing all this information guys , lot of good ideas ,you have got me to thinking LOL

crabo
09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I bought a Lee Classic Turret and didn't have a place to put it on my bench, so I got a building permit and added on. The top is 17x 29. I also built a little shelf to hold things below the top.

I now have 2 Square Deals, a Star lubrizer, and the Lee press all mounted on the same workmate. It is still very sturdy and I just spin it around for whichever tool I want to use. It doesn't take up much space. The top is no larger than the footprint.

Dale53
09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Black & Decker pretty much outdid themselves with the design of the WorkMate. You fellows have pretty much outdid yourselves with your innovative designs.

Good show!

Dale53

HangFireW8
01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Whatever you end up with, if you need it a bit thicker, or the work surfaces is too rough, consider covering it with Masonite/Hard Board.

I countersunk holes in it and used 82 degree flat top wood screws, flush or below the top surface, to hold it down. It is inexpensive, smooth, level, and easily replaced once it gets beat up. A chisel slip or small overdrill is not so painful when its just a replacable surface that takes the hit.

-HF

Geraldo
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
My workshop is pretty small, so I needed my main reloading bench to be movable. I took an old table top, built a crude 4x4" and 2x4" frame, then put castors in the bottom of the legs. My original plan was to be able to roll it outside, but another 550B mounted on the other side killed that idea. I can still use all four sides for presses and other equipment though.

I've been using my Workmate for casting, and I'll probably incorporate some of these ideas to beef that up.

crabo
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I bought a Lee Classic Turret and didn't have a place to put it on my bench, so I got a building permit and added on. The top is 17x 29. I also built a little shelf to hold things below the top.

I now have 2 Square Deals, a Star lubrizer, and the Lee press all mounted on the same workmate. It is still very sturdy and I just spin it around for whichever tool I want to use. It doesn't take up much space. The top is no larger than the footprint.

I thought I had put pictures of this with the post. I know I have posted them in other places, but here it is again. This is a very sturdy setup and does not move, even on the hardwood floor.

housedad
01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Did he say 'building premit' ???

Bad Water Bill
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
YES Issued by S H M B O [smilie=1: