PDA

View Full Version : Lyman must hate me

Tripplebeards
07-16-2018, 01:26 PM
I had three devastator molds in a row that were finning around the hollow point area. I sent the 1st one back to the retailer and the 2nd and 3rd one went to Lyman waiting a month for the testing and returns. Both the 2nd and 3rd both finned finned as well. After round 3 Lyman wanted to refund my money and not exchange the mold a fourth time around. I really had my heart set on casting these boolits so instead of getting my refund so ended up returning the 3rd mold back to the retailer for an exchange. I had been using both pour methods and my lee 4/20 drop pot and was getting finning both ways. Pouring was a little better. I also bought some rockford arsenal pray to try this time time around. I like the boolit and will not give up on figuring out how not to make it fin...but this time with the fourth mold its definitely not me. I called Lyman and their tech went to lunch and the we wasn't at his desk. Apparently he is too busy to call me back. I did send him a picture of the mold as well. The retailer has one left in stock and is going to exchange it for me. Guess I should have got in on the group buy.

This time its not a finning issue. I didn't get that far today. Here's the pic. The "c" clip is about a 1/16 to 1/8th inch away from the bottom catch screw. I figured wrong pin, clip, screw, or it was tapped too far away from the hollow point pin. I went to the local hardware store to see if I could find a wider "c" clip or anything else that might work so it would slide under the bolt. The only ones available were narrower yet. So much for casting today. Guess it sucks to be me.

https://i.imgur.com/LyvGxz9.jpg

Dusty Bannister
07-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Have you considered seeing if you can fit two additional washers under the screw? One to almost reach the C clip, as a spacer and the other one, thin and large enough to capture the edge of the C clip? I am thinking something like a fender washer or two. Hard to tell if you have enough threads to make it work. You might have to go with a different head if you can match the diameter and thread pitch to get the necessary length.

Marlin356
07-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Simple. Stop buying Lyman molds. They and the company are ****.

mdi
07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Are you "pressure pouring"? Putting the spout in direct contact with the mold? I have found "finning" only occurs when I "pressure pour" and keep my mold to spout distance anywhere from 1 1/2" down to 1/2" or so, getting good fill-out but no "finning"...

country gent
07-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Shouldn't that clip engage the large head screw on the side at 45* with a twist to lock it up in position. With the pin loose it could be dropping down in handling of the blocks from closing to fill, and fill pressure could push it down a little also. I believe that should be a twist type lock or cammed lock for the pin to lock and hold it in place.

Tripplebeards
07-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Shouldn't that clip engage the large head screw on the side at 45* with a twist to lock it up in position. With the pin loose it could be dropping down in handling of the blocks from closing to fill, and fill pressure could push it down a little also. I believe that should be a twist type lock or cammed lock for the pin to lock and hold it in place.

Yes, its designed to be cam lock but its not. I'm guessing the screw was tapped to far out.

Grmps
07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
it looks like the pin is not seating completely in the mold, the C clip should be resting on the mold.
I gave up on NEW Lyman products many years ago. They must have outsourced their manufacturing. Their quality /quality control has gone down the drain which is bad enough but their customer service has followed it.

RED BEAR
07-16-2018, 04:59 PM
i would say get your money back and try an mp mold. easier to use cast great and multi cavity. absolutely love mine. although i don't have a problem with lyman molds.

Petrol & Powder
07-16-2018, 05:25 PM
I can't speak to that particular mold but I've heard so many complaints about Lyman molds that I don't even consider buying them.

dh2
07-16-2018, 07:49 PM
If they refund your money , just get you an NOE hp mold and be done with it

trapper9260
07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
I have got Lyman molds and so far no problems.But if it is as much a problem like it been get the refund and go to NOE and you will have more then one mold in one by just change the pins.I got alot of them form him that way. MP is good also and do the same way as NOE. I do not know what is going on with Lyman now.

dwtim
07-16-2018, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I had a bad mold a while back, but Lyman made it right for me. Otherwise my other molds are perfect--new and old.

Things are getting sporty here in Connecticut. Every business is struggling with Uncle Dan on the helm, so it's no surprise that Lyman doesn't have the required staff.

Leadmelter
07-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Miha just closed a group buy for that bullet. Mine works great and has two cavities.
Leadmelter
MI

shooter bob
07-16-2018, 09:34 PM
The set screw that holds the hollow point c clip looks as if it is not where it belongs

Greg S
07-17-2018, 09:06 AM
As Leadmelter said. I got a 4 cavity MiHec mold and it cast 4 bueatiful HP every fill up. I got my second relacement Lyman 452651 (325gr rnfp) from Lyman that one cavity this time just hits the mark (.452) while the other is miss aligned and small. I give up on new Lyman molds.

Tripplebeards
07-17-2018, 09:54 PM
No return call or email again from Lyman today. They never called me back last time I had issues either.

I did get a mailing label emailed from the retailer I bought it from To send back to exchange it.

ioon44
07-18-2018, 07:45 AM
Simple. Stop buying Lyman molds. They and the company are ****.

That was my solution to Lyman products after dealing with there customer service.

Mal Paso
07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
The Single Cavity Lyman mold is $80. A 4 Cavity MP 432-640 is $138 and the 2 cavity a lot less. Probably the same price as Lyman with shipping. With an MP Hollowpoint you just turn the mold over, slide the pins out and the bullets fall off. The Lyman looks like a lot more effort for fewer boolits even if it did work.

Tripplebeards
07-18-2018, 10:25 PM
No return call or email again today. Last mold I buy from them. Their customer service is horrible. If the mold I receive back from the retailer is defective I'll return it and order a mp or noe.

Hamish
07-18-2018, 10:55 PM
The chance of me buying a recent Lyman Mold is actually less than the chance I might vote Commiecrat

Tripplebeards
07-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Natchez shooters supply emailed me an overnight packing label two days ago. They emailed me last night and said their processing my order and the other one will be shipped soon.

No follow up from Lyman. They're worthless.

Tripplebeards
07-24-2018, 09:52 AM
My replacement mold from Natchez will be here tomorrow. Lyman never called or emailed back. Fingers crossed that the replacement mold works.

gwpercle
07-26-2018, 02:37 PM
This will be replacement mould number four...?
Good luck with this one,
Gary

Tripplebeards
08-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Casted with the new mold. Still fins a third of the way around the hp area just like the last four did just and a little where the two halves meet. Just going to accept it and scrape the finning off with a knife and then rubbing the hp end on a spongy piece of sandpaper and cardboard to clean up the flat surface as I've done for the last year casting them. Never heard back from Lyman but they sent me a a 1/2" catalog yesterday that went in the trash. It is what it is, a cheap mold. Lyman reminds me of a car dealership. Once they've got your money they couldn't care less.