PDA

View Full Version : 95 gr wadcutter in the 38spl.

RU shooter
07-16-2018, 08:55 AM
I stumbled upon some 95 gr button nose wadcutters I had for loading a makarov , they easily sized down to .358. Plan was to load some powder puff loads in 38 spl. Can't find data for anything that light in my books . Just a WAG but what kind of velocity would a load of 2.5-3 gr of Bullseye get me ? I'm trying for 750-800fps range .

Tim

3leggedturtle
07-16-2018, 01:34 PM
I load 3.0gr. Bullseye and a 80gr round ball. Didn’t chrono it yet, but it makes nice tiny groups at 10 paces out of an LCR. It will only shoot 3/4th way thru a treated 2x8 board. I also use the same charge with both 148gr WC’s and 158gr FP’s. Todd/3leg

Didn’t answer yer question but the 148 and 158 get that velocity with that charge. so yer boolit will likely be going 900fps or more. I hate not having my chrono handy!

Thumbcocker
07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Check data for Lee 105 in Lyman manual. Might be a start.

yeahbub
07-17-2018, 12:12 PM
That's an interesting idea. I can't shed any light on what velocities you're likely to get, but if you're looking for 750-800fps, they'll be light charges indeed. I have no experience with Bulleye. My inclination would be toward propellants that are easy to ignite, and it sounds like your proposed charge weight is about right. When I lap barrels, the charges I use are rarely more than 2-3 grains of universal in rifle cases and boolits exit with some zip. Another advantage of your idea is the assembly of "cleaning rounds" utilizing a card wad and lube cookie under that short boolit and still having plenty of room in the case. A few of those through a leaded barrel at moderate velocity and the leading will be removed, leaving only a film of lube for the next shot. Much more fun than scrubbing the barrel clean. I do a similar thing by swaging 145gr round balls to a short button-nosed wadcutter configuration to assemble cleaning rounds in .45 ACP with 4-5gr of Universal. They're pretty accurate at 25 yards.

RU shooter
07-18-2018, 07:57 AM
I loaded up 18 Rds last night with 3.0 gr Bullseye and seated it flush with the case mouth and a wee bit of crimp . Plan on shooting them this weekend and see how it goes .

Thanks all , Tim