PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor for .22 cal air gun

sparky45
07-15-2018, 02:46 PM
I want to put a suppressor on my .22 cal air gun can I do that without buying a stamp or going through a FFL dealer? I have the equipment to do the build .

dbmjr1
07-15-2018, 02:49 PM
It will have to be permanently attached in a manner that will not allow you to disassemble for cleaning. Otherwise, yes, it's legal.

Notice: I am neither an attorney, nor did I sleep in a Motel 6 last night.

melloairman
07-15-2018, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=sparky45;4411586]I want to put a suppressor on my .22 cal air gun can I do that without buying a stamp or going through a FFL dealer? I have the equipment to do the build .

ATF really has no authority on air rifles . The common thought is if it can be removed and installed on a fire arm then you have a problem . But they have not and more than likely not press the issue . There are many being sold than are removable for cleaning . ATF has lost a case were a felon that could not own a fire air had one on a air rifle that was removable . They could not prove that there was a intent to install it on a fire arm which he could not own legally . Build or buy and enjoy . As many are doing . Marvin

melloairman
07-15-2018, 09:50 PM
Here is a previous thread on the subject .Marvin
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?335733-Suppressor-On-A-Break-Barrel-Air-Rifle

sparky45
07-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the info, especially the info from Marvin. I'm going to apply the knowledge gained to further assess my needs/wants. I have a springer and doubt I'll eagerly persue the issue.

3AXBAT
07-16-2018, 11:23 PM
My 22 Pro Elite is internally suppressed, and it's not exactly quiet. I think most of the noise is mecanical and not muzzle blast. Be realistic in your expectations.

sparky45
07-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Simply wanted to do it cause I can.

3AXBAT
07-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Simply wanted to do it cause I can.

The best of reasons.

sparky45
07-17-2018, 11:55 PM
I like the way you think.:-D

Multigunner
07-18-2018, 03:55 AM
The average springer only needs a blast suppressor if the barrel is too short for its air chamber capacity.
Pretty much the same goes for pump up rifles.
My home made Crosman carbine with 24" barrel is whisper quiet when shorter barreled guns are fairly loud. A really long barrel can reduce muzzle velocity since the air column in the bore runs out of pressure before the pellet reaches the muzzle.

Sonic crack can't be quietened by a suppressor , if your present pellets break the sound barrier try a heavier pellet to slightly reduce muzzle velocity.

Drm50
07-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Maxim made his fortune on industrial silencers for the early air tools. The silencers for firearms
didn't come close to industrial market. I'm sure there are many more silencers on firearms now
than have ever existed. Technically suppressors, I know some expert will jump if that not cleared
up. What most don't realize is you are going to have to drop MV down to below 1086 Fps for this
to work. This is the same no matter what propels the "projectile" any object traveling over the
speed of sound will cause a sonic boom, whether a jet aircraft or a BB.

cwlongshot
07-18-2018, 02:30 PM
TKO22 makes some I have a few and they work well and are not overly costly.

My understanding is that they are made in such a way that they will never be able to quiet any firearm so they are zero legality issues...

CW

KenH
07-18-2018, 03:38 PM
Interesting thread folks, and I read the thread from last yr where Art posted a long series on the subject. Seems most folks think suppressors are legal on air rifles. What about this on the ATF site:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-paintball-andor-airgun-sound-suppressers-nfa-firearms

From the link above that was reviewed last in 2015: "The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]"

sparky45
07-18-2018, 08:58 PM
My understanding is that the suppressor on a Air Rifle must be installed permanently. Thereby not subject to ATF regs.

melloairman
07-18-2018, 11:43 PM
My understanding is that the suppressor on a Air Rifle must be installed permanently. Thereby not subject to ATF regs.

That is your understanding . But note it is stated that numerous not all silencers are considered as such . A permanent attached LDC would take care of the gray area for sure . Note that several manufactures are selling new rifles with LDC and shrouds that are removeable . And there are several venders with them for sale on the net . We also live in a country that has a law that states that any form of transportation used on a public road can not have its exhaust system altered . Un less the system has been tested and labeled that it meets emission and sound level testing that the original system meet . This law includes motorcycles . Do as you wish and enjoy the sport as much as you can .Marvin

KenH
07-19-2018, 09:47 AM

In the ATF link I posted above did you see anywhere it says "permanently attached" was allowed on air guns? Yes, it's implied the suppressors tested were removable, but doesn't seem to say removable anywhere. It just says "paintball and airgun silencers .....have been determined to be, ...... firearm silencers"

PerpetualStudent
07-19-2018, 09:55 AM
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

At the moment Ken, my view is that the caselaw is in a standoff point. There's been a ruling against the ATF (at the circuit level) where their "function" argument was rejected. It would take another case in another circuit reaching a contrary conclusion. Then that case would have to be appealed to the Supreme Court and attain a favorable ruling there. Fair fact of the matter is the case law isn't settled and I don't want to be the test case.

The airgun manufacturers permanently attach them and sell them. This seems to be a tacit understanding between the ATF and the airgunners.

If you think it might be illegal. Talk to a lawyer. Get legal advice on the matter.

KenH
07-19-2018, 10:57 AM
PerpetualStudent: Hey, I like that screen name - pretty much my mantra for life. I'm perpetually a student because I'm always learning things.

I do understand what you're say about "legal" vs "understanding". I'm well aware of the "moderators" most airgun manuf's build into the gun, and they're built in, and have been for many years. I'm also aware the ATF doesn't "make" laws, that's the job of congress. BUT - the ATF does "interpret" the law which sometimes seems to come down to the same thing. The only thing I was trying to do is point out what's stated on the ATF website and how that seems to conflict with how the law is actually handled.

The only reason to talk with a lawyer would be if I were at all interested in being a test case, and I have NO interest whatsoever of that. I plan to do everything I can to prevent myself from being a test case. Test cases cost too much money, time, and stress.

Ken H>

DCP
07-29-2018, 08:04 PM
http://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Sound-Loc-Kit-p/kitsl.htm

Removeable sound suppression they have been selling for years

Tripplebeards
07-29-2018, 11:09 PM
I always wanted to buy a Sam yang big bore and a suppressor for urban coyotes