PDA

View Full Version : What Bullet for Cow Elk Hunt?

Mule
07-15-2018, 01:34 PM
My son has drawn a Colorado Cow Elk BP hunt.

He will be shooting a 50 cal. Sabots are prohibited. In 50 cal he must use a conical projectile.

I have two molds available. Both LEE

Minie and REAL.

Which do you suggest?

Rifle will be a Rem ML 500

Thank you

dk17hmr
07-15-2018, 02:25 PM
What shoots better?

Mr Peabody
07-15-2018, 02:35 PM
I believe Colorado says the boolit can only be two diameters in length.

dk17hmr
07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Not that I can see.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Screenshot_2018-07-15-12-59-07_zpsymjp2p7k.png (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/Screenshot_2018-07-15-12-59-07_zpsymjp2p7k.png.html)

Sweetpea
07-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Either one placed correctly will do the job.

MT Chambers
07-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Of the two choices I would def. go with the Lyman .50 cal. plains bullet, most accurate conical in my .50s.

Edward
07-15-2018, 07:57 PM
I"d go with the Lee Real if picking one ,I use a card/wad under it (Big difference in my guns) Ed

trapper9260
07-15-2018, 08:13 PM
I"d go with the Lee Real if picking one ,I use a card/wad under it (Big difference in my guns) Ed

Do you use the a card under the Lee Real to seal it for more pressure? Also do you coat the card with anything of just as is?

Mule
07-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Had not considered a card wad. Have to see if I can find some.

Beerd
07-16-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm with Doug.
You have plenty of time to determine which one shoots best in your rifle. Go with that one.

Chill Wills
07-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Not that I can see.

That is interesting Doug. Thanks for pointing that out.

It likely still is and for sure, used to be, that Colorado ML rules would limit bullet length to up to two calibers. It was written and I have read it many times. Your cut and paste is from recent online data. And I agree, from it, that sure does not include that rule.

I would have to read the whole body of big game hunting in paper form before I would say that has changed to 'any bullet length goes' (my words).

For an example; I have a Gibbs long range muzzle loading rifle, .451 cal with 18 twist (458). It likes 550 grain PP bullets. In order to hunt with it, about 350 to 375 grain bullets were needed.
Now I am interested to look up the current rules and see if anything has changed.

We have always laughed that you just about need a law degree to hunt.

dk17hmr
07-17-2018, 10:05 AM
That is interesting Doug. Thanks for pointing that out.

It likely still is and for sure, used to be, that Colorado ML rules would limit bullet length to up to two calibers. It was written and I have read it many times. Your cut and paste is from recent online data. And I agree, from it, that sure does not include that rule.

I would have to read the whole body of big game hunting in paper form before I would say that has changed to 'any bullet length goes' (my words).

For an example; I have a Gibbs long range muzzle loading rifle, .451 cal with 18 twist (458). It likes 550 grain PP bullets. In order to hunt with it, about 350 to 375 grain bullets were needed.
Now I am interested to look up the current rules and see if anything has changed.

We have always laughed that you just about need a law degree to hunt.

Thankfully my neighbor works for Wyoming G&F so whenever I have a random question I just send her a text and she will bug the wardens until she gets an answer for me.

Let me know if you find something in the Colorado rules because I'm interested now. I'll be using my points there for archery hunts in the next couple of years but have considered trying for a muzzleloader tag instead.

That's actually a screenshot of the digital copy of the 2018 regs I have the paper copy as well but with the pdf format you can ctrl F and find what your looking for faster.

quilbilly
07-17-2018, 12:56 PM
A few years back I also had an antler less muzzleloader elk tag and since I was hunting alone planned on shooting a nice, tender calf of around 250# on the hoof. God laughed and presented me with a full grown cow standing and looking from 50 yards. My 50 cal Hawken was loaded with a sabot, a 265 gr 429 SWC and 75 gr of FFF Goex. The last view I had of that cow before the smoke filled the view was of her completely off the ground with feet rotating skyward. DRT. That cow provided 300# of wrapped meat (indicated an almost 650# live weight) at the butcher and I had to buy another freezer. Have fun with your tag!!

Chill Wills
07-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Thankfully my neighbor works for Wyoming G&F so whenever I have a random question I just send her a text and she will bug the wardens until she gets an answer for me.

Let me know if you find something in the Colorado rules because I'm interested now. I'll be using my points there for archery hunts in the next couple of years but have considered trying for a muzzleloader tag instead.

That's actually a screenshot of the digital copy of the 2018 regs I have the paper copy as well but with the pdf format you can ctrl F and find what your looking for faster.

Okay. The hunting Reg's have a "What's New for (2018)" section and the changes to Round Ball caliber went larger as we have talked about on here BUT in true fashion, they failed to mention that they no longer list the requirement that bullets be two calibers or less. In other words, they dropped the requirement. So good call to point it out.

The interesting thing that will effect basically no one other than me in years I do it, is the unintended consequence that now, the 45 ML shooting a conical bullet I like for elk, no longer works. It has to be a 50cal bullet or larger. In my case, the 45 cal Gibbs shooting a 375 grain paper patch bullet at 1375FPS falls through the cracks. Tho still Okay for lesser big game like Deer and Black Bear. But Not for Elk or Moose.

dk17hmr
07-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Laws written by people that don't know anything about ballistics so they make the minimum enough that it should work but they don't know.

We went from 500 foot pound requirement for handguns to 35 caliber and a 1.5" minimum over all length.....so I can't hunt with my 10mm anymore for antelope but can take my snub nose 38 special with 158gr bullets out for elk...

Mr Peabody
07-18-2018, 11:42 PM
My son has drawn a Colorado Cow Elk BP hunt.

He will be shooting a 50 cal. Sabots are prohibited. In 50 cal he must use a conical projectile.

I have two molds available. Both LEE

Minie and REAL.

Which do you suggest?

Rifle will be a Rem ML 500

Thank you

I'd go with the heaviest real. I used that rifle with a black belt 348gr and had good results. Now they're power belts. Are they legal?

Mule
07-21-2018, 11:26 PM
First trip to the range the REAL proved most accurate at 100 yards. Shooting about 3 inches high. My son is mostly a bow hunter and needs some more time behind the trigger. Iron sights only is a big change for him also. Fortunately, he has young eyes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

glockky
07-22-2018, 09:39 PM
I know you were looking at the molds you have but it’s hard to beat the Accurate Molds 51-450M in the fast 1-28” twist muzzleloader.

My encore shot awful until I shot this bullet and had David White remove the QLA.

These groups are the norm now at 100

Fast Asleep
07-25-2018, 09:10 PM
I also recommend the Lyman Great Plains Bullet. Have taken both elk and large mule deer with this Bullet over 120 grains of 777 in a self-built underhammer rifle with a 1 in 28 Green Mountain barrel. Tried the Lee Minnie but was blowing the skirts off.

Harleysboss
07-26-2018, 12:03 AM
If you want to buy pre-made bullets, Check out No Excuses. They come in a variety of weights for the 50 cal and sizes I think he sells same test packs of the various sizes. I've taken elk with them and they are a quality conical. I'm fond of the 460's with a wool wonder wad under it. I go one size bigger (54cal) in the wad for total seal. 90grns of FFG Goex.

Mule
08-31-2018, 01:25 AM
The Minie turned out to be the accuracy winner. Consistently 3" at 100 yards.
Off to the mountains next week.
I wish him good luck.

1bluehorse
08-31-2018, 12:08 PM
The Minie turned out to be the accuracy winner. Consistently 3" at 100 yards.
Off to the mountains next week.
I wish him good luck.

Consistent 3" groups at a hundred is excellent shooting with irons in "real" life especially with a ML shooting those large hunks of lead. It's not so good on shooting forums where everyone can shoot at least .5MOA with everything. A good time is in store for him and I wish him good hunting.

Djones
08-31-2018, 12:27 PM
good luck Mule Son. I just returned from a quick three day archery hunt. The elk are not bugling yet where I was hunting. I am returning on the 14th to hopefully call in a bull for a close encounter.

I am glad you found an accurate combination!

Mule
09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
1bluehorse, I was not very clear. From the bench, mid Missouri altitude, 85 degrees F, slight crossing breeze, 2.5 inch clusters, 3 inches high at 100 yards. He feels confident for 150 to 200 yard shots.

Mule
09-16-2018, 09:03 PM
My son had an enjoyable hunt, but didn't make any smoke.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

richhodg66
09-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Of the two choices I would def. go with the Lyman .50 cal. plains bullet, most accurate conical in my .50s.

Agreed. Hits hard too.