PDA

View Full Version : Scanning your drivers license during gun purchase.

wulfman92
07-15-2018, 01:26 PM
One time a few years ago, I bought some tobacco at a gas station. They took my ID and scanned the blurry code on the back side, I asked why, and can't remember the reasoning. I never went back.

At my local gun shop, I bought a gun and they did the same thing. They had my ID at checkout and scanned the blurry back side. I immediately wanted to know why, and they said to keep records for ME in case of theft, fire, etc. The most simple real answer I'm sure is for THEIR record keeping. Which could be done easy enough with the forms we all fill out for NICS. Anyways, it rubs me the wrong way. Anybody else have this happen? Computers never forget, are you comfortable with it?

redneck1
07-15-2018, 01:51 PM
I don't let stores scan my license , if they balk I just go spend my money elsewhere . Easy peasy

WILCO
07-15-2018, 03:47 PM
I don't fight it. Big Brother knows everything about me.
One time, they tracked me via my cellphone.
When they were ready, they had four cruisers intercept me.
The days of Ozzie and Harriet are gone.

snowwolfe
07-15-2018, 03:51 PM
My local FF copies my license for his files. Doesnt bother me in the least.

starnbar
07-15-2018, 03:59 PM
It's not like they don't all ready know everything you do any way if you have and use credit cards and have a bank account they can tell how much you will spend on gas and groceries and utilities for the year .

sureYnot
07-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Local store here started that **** for ammo purchases about twenty years ago. Haven't bought ammo from them since. Verify age and that's all the info they have any right to.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
07-15-2018, 04:32 PM
gun stores in my area all do it. i guess you could refuse but your not buying a gun around here without it. the way i look at it is its a gov id they already have it. i see a lot on the news they id someone with facial recognition where do you think they get the photo to match it with. can we say drivers license. its not something i really like just not sure what to do about it. do you really think that the gov only keeps background checks for a set time then deletes them? unfortunately the gov big companies know a lot more about all of us that just about anyone would think. welcome to the brave new world.

kayala
07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Blurry back side I assume is 3d bar code, basically it's the same information as in the front side just encoded into barcode and can be used for automation - like they have software where form fields populated via scanning - much faster and no typos. Dealers here always make a photo copy of the license but I haven't seen them scanning it.

KenH
07-15-2018, 05:32 PM
All this isn't new by any means - back in 1981 (82?) when I turned 30 I got letters trying to sell me life insurance - they said "since you've now turned 30 you need to be concerned about your wife and children" so buy life insurance. How did "they" know I'd just turned 30 and had a wife and two children? Remember, that was almost 40 yrs ago!

dannyd
07-15-2018, 05:51 PM
The software just scans your name, address and age if needed. Work with the software all the time, no dark web or big brother just easier than typing it in.

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Sam's Club here wanted to scan my DL for a liquor purchase...like I really look under 21...so I offered my CCW as proof of age. They said 'No, State Liquor Control requires that we accept only Driver's License or State ID Card for liquor purchase." When I pointed out that my CCW IS a state-issued ID, they said (again): "No, we can only accept Driver's License or State ID Card. It's a Liquor Control regulation." Cashier called over a manager who gave me the same story. Walked away, leaving the bourbon (an the rest of my merchandise) beside the register.

When I got home, I went online and checked IL Liquor Control Site: Nada, Nil, Nothing there!! Next day, called their Consumer Service #; after going through a two or three levels of "Press 1 for..." I got a live person on the line who stated that she'd been with Liquor Control for 16 years and had never heard of any such requirement and could find nothing in the state regs requiring any seller to accept (or deny) any specific ID documents...only exception being for 'obvious forgeries'.

I suspect this is just a 'data mining' scam but did file a complaint with Liquor Control. No response to date.

Bill

mjwcaster
07-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Depending on the state there is more info in the barcode than what is on the front of the license.
Was a big deal a few years ago, IIRC Hawaii had all sorts of personal info in the barcode.
Now maybe it is encrypted now, and sure we can just trust the software developers/end users to only read a few fields, but I prefer to give out as little info as possible.
I know the genie is out of the bottle and yes I carry my locater/listening device with me at all times.
I do not let my license get scanned just on principal, have had to get cashiers to get managers to teach their employees their store policies before.
Our town tried the DL scanning thing for smokes a few years ago. Didn’t last long, I guess I was not the only one who walked out.

As far as IL, a Foid or CCW Permit are not considered legal ID even by the DMV.
There is no logic involved, just bureaucracy.
One state department will not accept a picture id issued by the same states police department, and only issued after a criminal background check.

But I can use it to purchase guns and ammo and now carry handguns, but it is not a valid form of ID. Government logic at its best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonp
07-15-2018, 06:43 PM
I borrowed a ball joint press kit from Advance Auto a few months ago. When I brought it back for the refund the guy behind the counter asked for some ID before doing the refund. Reasonable enough. When he looked at my license he turned it over and got the bar code scanner. I yanked the license out of his hand and asked him what he was doing. He said he had to verify it was me. I told him look at the friggen front and match the picture on my CDL. He balked so I called for the manager. The manager just decided I was not worth the bother and gave me back my money.

Just because Big Brother knows what you are doing most of the time doesn't mean you have to roll over and make it easy.

BTW: Wilco, SCOTUS just put a serious crimp in Stingray operations without a warrant. If cops showed up like that on me I'd politely tell them to pound sand and get a warrant before searching my car or doing anything further

goste
07-15-2018, 06:55 PM
In Texas, our D.L's have a strip on the back like a credit card. I took mine and held it against a strong magnet, and now they scan and get nothing. LOL. They have to actually read the info on the front...

wulfman92
07-15-2018, 08:45 PM
I’m not ignorant to the fact that they know what they know, but I also believe the, “why roll over and make it easy?”

sureYnot
07-15-2018, 08:54 PM
In Texas, our D.L's have a strip on the back like a credit card. I took mine and held it against a strong magnet, and now they scan and get nothing. LOL. They have to actually read the info on the front...Lol. Love it. Might do this and go back to that store.

Tom W.
07-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Every time I go onto Ft, Benning my DL gets scanned, or I don't get on. Lori has a CAT card, as she works as a teacher on base. Makes life eaier. I can go through any gate with her driving. Still have to show my DL, however....

am44mag
07-15-2018, 11:11 PM
My local FF copies my license for his files. Doesnt bother me in the least.

Pretty much every gun shop I have ever bought a gun at, or had one transferred though has either copied my license, or at the very least recorded info off of it. They're not going to get any info on me that they don't already know from the 4473.

RP
07-15-2018, 11:25 PM
As much as we like to lay low and not be noticed are actions are being recorded are they watching just you NO they are recording everyone one. If you do not get paid in cash and pay all your bills in cash your on record. If you have a PC or cell phone you are tracked price we pay for other things that can be use against us but they are put in place to protect and see what were buying so they can send ads hoping to sell us more.
If the man wants you I do not care what you do they will come and get you. Do I worry about big brother well sure if he goes off the deep end or is big brother looking out of you most of the time we do not think so but heck are you a bad guy ?

mjwcaster
07-15-2018, 11:31 PM
I think some are missing the point.
Big brother issued the drivers license, with all the info encoded on the back, this topic has nothing to do with hiding anything from the government.

To me it has to do with keeping my info from private companies.

I used to get into arguments with radio shack employees 30 years ago when they didn’t want to let you purchase anything without a phone number.

john.k
07-15-2018, 11:36 PM
A lot of official pictures are now "digitally scanned",which means the cops,(govt) can identify you and access all your data from any picture of your face,even one taken by a cop car going the other way at 60mph,and by a security camera anywhere hooked into the network..

sureYnot
07-15-2018, 11:58 PM
Exactly
I think some are missing the point.
Big brother issued the drivers license, with all the info encoded on the back, this topic has nothing to do with hiding anything from the government.

To me it has to do with keeping my info from private companies.

I used to get into arguments with radio shack employees 30 years ago when they didn’t want to let you purchase anything without a phone number.

jmort
07-16-2018, 12:10 AM
I have never had my drivers license scanned, never, ever.

tomme boy
07-16-2018, 02:51 AM
Why do you think they make you take your glasses off now when you get your drivers licence? It is for the facial recognition software. They need a clear picture of you. Thats why they mail them to us now.

Heck Facebook has a really good facial recognition software. All I have to do is post a pic and it tags the people in it automatically for me.

Blanket
07-16-2018, 03:52 AM
I travel a lot and have a passport, visa's, global entry, an apec card and have been electronically fingerprinted in several country's including the US. I don't worry about scanning my DL. Sometimes thou I do hand them a passport card that they can't scan just to mess with them

shdwlkr
07-16-2018, 10:33 AM
big brother knows way more about its citizens that most think they do,
1 do you file taxes each year
2. have bank account
3 have a home
4 have a vehicle
5 have firearms
6 ever buy fuel
7 ever buy alcohol
8 take a trip
9 use your passport
10 go to the doctor
11 ever been in the military
and the list goes on, as has been said the days of not being known by big brother are over. The government has known where I was and what I was doing for the better part of 50 years. Don't think they don't know where you are and what you are doing, if you are on this site then they know what you do on the internet even. The tin foil hats aren't any use anymore

jmort
07-16-2018, 10:58 AM
You have to cut all ties and cover you trail to disappear. A motor vehicle/RV makes this difficult. You can disappear, but it takes some work. Right now the government knows everything about me. Since I will get social security in a few years, I doubt it will ever change.

smokeywolf
07-16-2018, 11:30 AM
big brother knows way more about its citizens that most think they do,
1 do you file taxes each year
2. have bank account
3 have a home
4 have a vehicle
5 have firearms
6 ever buy fuel
7 ever buy alcohol
8 take a trip
9 use your passport
10 go to the doctor
11 ever been in the military
and the list goes on, as has been said the days of not being known by big brother are over. The government has known where I was and what I was doing for the better part of 50 years. Don't think they don't know where you are and what you are doing, if you are on this site then they know what you do on the internet even. The tin foil hats aren't any use anymore

And the gov't is anticipating using all your information against you at some point in time; if not for anything else, to control you.

WILCO
07-16-2018, 01:49 PM
BTW: Wilco, SCOTUS just put a serious crimp in Stingray operations without a warrant. If cops showed up like that on me I'd politely tell them to pound sand and get a warrant before searching my car or doing anything further

I understand, but the reality is they're going to do what they want.
When I interact with the authorities at any level, it's always "yes sir" and "no sir".
My goal is to go home and argue any wrongs at a later date.

WILCO
07-16-2018, 01:51 PM
You have to cut all ties and cover you trail to disappear. A motor vehicle/RV makes this difficult. You can disappear, but it takes some work. Right now the government knows everything about me. Since I will get social security in a few years, I doubt it will ever change.

All you can do is live your life, until they say no.

FISH4BUGS
07-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Are you kidding me?
As an owner of machine guns, SBR's, suppressors, AOW's, etc. the gummint, state police, State department, FBI, and local PD already knows more about me than my girlfriend. They have many sets of my fingerprints and mug shots from many different sources.
PLUS a Top Secret security clearance in the 70's when I worked for a defense contractor......they know it all.
There is nothing they don't know about me.
I think I would refuse to have my license scanned just on principle though. :)

Big Tom
07-16-2018, 02:11 PM
If you have a phone that can run applications, search the app store for "PDF417 scanner". There will be several applications that can ready the barcode on your driver's license through the phone's camera and show the information contained in it.
Pretty much the info below. As far as I can tell, all information that can be found on the front and I take somebody scanning it just as an easier way to get the information into their computer compared to manually typing it all...

USDL barcode string data:
DocumentType: AAMVA
StandardVersionNumber: 8
CustomerFamilyName: <last name>
CustomerFirstName: <first name>
CustomerFullName: <full name>
DateOfBirth: <dob>
Sex: 1
EyeColor: BRN
AddressStreet: 123 MY STR.
AddressCity: MY TOWN
AddressJurisdictionCode: XZ
AddressPostalCode: 123450000
FullAddress: 123 MY STR, MY TOWN, XZ, 12345
Height: 90 in
HeightIn: 120
HeightCm: 238
CustomerMiddleName: <MDL NAME>
HairColor: ....
NameSuffix: NONE
WeightRange: 6
WeightPounds: 800
WeightKilograms: 200
CustomerIdNumber: YY123456
FamilyNameTruncation: N
FirstNameTruncation: N
MiddleNameTruncation: N
PlaceOfBirth: MY TOWN
CountryIdentification: USA
OrganDonor: 1
IssuerIdentificationNumber: 123456
DocumentExpirationDate: 11222222
JurisdictionVersionNumber: 1
JurisdictionVehicleClass: D
JurisdictionRestrictionCodes: B
JurisdictionEndorsementCodes: M
DocumentIssueDate: 11221998
IssuingJurisdiction: II
IssuingJurisdictionName: XYSTATE
CardRevisionDate: 12345678
DocumentDiscriminator: xxxxU23921323
AuditInformation: NONE
ComplianceType: M

mold maker
07-16-2018, 04:07 PM
And this is the best Gov to its citizens in the world try another country.
If you're concerned where else are they building walls to keep aliens out?.

RED BEAR
07-16-2018, 04:48 PM
have you seen the sizeof the data storage unit they are building out west. there is estimated to be enough storage to collect all key strokes texts monitary transactions and phone calls for a very
long time . and for those who say they don't record calls how did they know what the boston bombers wife said on a call befo re they knew who they were. they went back and listened. they never say they don't record them they say they need a warrent to listen. and when they say there was no abuse lopking up info on spouses and others in relationships was so common they gave it a special name so tjey wouldn't have to lie . come on the gov already knows more about all of us that we know about ourselves.

kayala
07-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Big Tom, just scanned mine - no secret messages :)

Smoke4320
07-16-2018, 05:14 PM
As an FFL dealer I do make a copy of the front of the Drivers license..
It makes it a lot easier on ATF audits as they see the DL copy attached to the 4473.
Proves all the info on the 4473 and the person filling it out were one and the same . (like everything it could be faked if you took enough time )
We do NOT enter anything relating to the 4473 or DL in our computers. DL copy is only in our file cabinet attached to the 4473.
I do not even record credit card numbers

Petrol & Powder
07-16-2018, 05:16 PM
Or maybe it's so the FFL can prove that they transferred the gun to someone with a valid ID and prove they actually looked at that ID (or at the very least had the ID in their hand).

I think scanning or copying the ID is a measure to protect the FFL and has little to do with the purchaser.

EDIT - Smoke4320 beat me to it but we said the same basic thing

David2011
07-16-2018, 08:22 PM
I had a bank employee swipe my driver's license through a magnetic scanner once. I immediately took the DL back and told him to cancel the transaction, probably too late anyway. Aware that the magnetic strip contained more info than the front of the license, I made him start over and I told him that he could look at it but he had no need to scan it. I never let that happen again. For purchases requiring proof of age they can see my CHL. They try to scan the back with their laser scanners but the software doesn't recognize the info on the CHL so they look at the date of birth and complete the transaction. CHL is issued by Texas, most purchases are in New Mexico so they're not set up for it. (TX CHL is no longer valid in NM until I am no longer a NM resident due to a change in NM law last year.) They still have to accept it since it's a valid state issued ID.

Petrol & Powder
07-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Banks do that to make an electronic record of the person presenting the check or other financial instrument in case there's a later criminal prosecution for some type of fraud. It's no different than writing the information down but it's quicker and less prone to mistakes.
They will also tie the time a date the ID is scanned with the video recording to show the person that presented the the check AND the teller that took the check.
Some banks even require a thumb print on the financial instrument so there's no dispute about who presented it.

You can thank all scammers and thieves for those measures.

Tom W.
07-17-2018, 02:29 AM
I downloaded the scanner scanned my DL and looked at the results. About the only thing it didn't have was my blood type.

I suppose "they" know that I did that. I'll be on the lookout for the black helicopter tomorrow when I go to Ft. Benning........

flyingmonkey35
07-17-2018, 03:01 AM
Remember when they would ask you for a credit card as a form of ID?

That one allways made me walk.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

EDG
07-18-2018, 04:56 AM
For all the preceding remember that you can vote for your favorite marxist thug with NO ID most places.
It seems government does not need to know everything about the non-citizens among us.

Petrol & Powder
07-18-2018, 05:40 AM
For all the preceding remember that you can vote for your favorite marxist thug with NO ID most places.
It seems government does not need to know everything about the non-citizens among us.

Whenever I feel like messing with liberal twits, I bait them into talking about voter ID laws. When I get them on the hook I say, "You tell me what ID you think should be needed to vote and we'll apply that same standard to buying a gun".
Then I watch them run around the room like a little wind-up toy. You should try it, it's fun :grin: