PDA

View Full Version : Predator calls

beemer
07-15-2018, 12:21 PM
I was looking through a box of stuff left by my late Father, there were 8 or 9 game calls. Three were old Herter's still in the boxes and several Johnny Stewart predator calls still in the package. They must be old because there is an add for record player calls.

Anyway the Stewart calls had an extra reed and I like to play with a wood lathe, so why not make one. I have some Jatoba, where I worked we called it Brazilian cherry, its has a deep red color and is hard. I think it turned out well, sounds like the Stewart call but maybe a little richer.

Sort of funny, I made a couple of soft calls in the house. Both dogs were all over me. My terrier was jumping around on her back feet and the Maltipo did her best to take it away from me and stood on her back feet at the table where I laid it. My wife said I could use it to call the dogs but I said I didn't want them running through the door with a coyote trailing.

Does anyone here make calls ? I looked around on line and found some sites but was wondering if anyone had a favorite supplier or know the best places to find info ?

Thanks Dave

quilbilly
07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
I have two of those very old Herter's calls, a long, medium, and short range, that I bought new over 40 years ago. They have been pure magic for me compared to most of the modern calls, electronic or mouth. The medium call not only brings in coyotes but bear and at certain times of year, buck deer (unfortunately not in hunting season).

CastingFool
07-15-2018, 04:10 PM
The only calls I have made are box calls for turkey. Called in 6 or 7 turkeys through the years. I gave one to a friend who was interested in starting to turkey hunt, and he called one in, on his first year.

beemer
07-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Two of the Herter's calls are predator calls, a Pro that sounds like a rabbit distress and a Stage 2 that is a squeaker.The other is a crow call with a crow calling manual in the box.

I made a box turkey call but never used it, don't hunt much anymore but like doing the wood work.

Coyotes are getting bad around here and my brother and I are thinking of giving it a try. That's why I was digging through Dad's old box, I knew there were some calls in it but I didn't know what kind.