PDA

View Full Version : RCBS or Lyman lube sizer?

Catch
07-15-2018, 03:53 AM
Lost my old lube sizer in a fire, but still have about 25 usable dies. I would like the members advice on the choice between the Lyman model and the RCBS units or any other one that will use the old Lyman dies. The new H and I dies are over priced for my budget..........

This is Catch, I'm 83 yrs old, a Korean disabled vet, and still reloading and shooting........Thanks in advance for you kind help

Beagle333
07-15-2018, 04:59 AM
Are you resizing any big hard boolits? If you aren't doing any heavy lead crunching, I'd recommend the Lyman. The RCBS is a very robust machine that will do some fairly heavy duty resizing, but of course costs more than the Lyman. I do almost all of my lubing on old Lyman 45's, but I resize with a Lee push thru sizer and the machine only has to lube the boolits. It's very easy on them. I even have four old Ideal No. 1 units that I lube with.
For normal sizing of .001-.002" and lubing, I'd say Lyman.
Which model did you lose in the fire?

avogunner
07-15-2018, 05:48 AM
Catch, I concur with Beagle. I too have a couple of Lyman 45's that do most of my sizing but also a couple of 450's (w/heaters) and even a pitzer. The RCBS is a great tool too but it's a lot easier to find inexpensive 450's on the used market. Post a WTB in the swapping and selling section and I bet you'll get responses pretty quickly.
Thanks for your service!!!
Semper Fi!

Petrol & Powder
07-15-2018, 08:13 AM
They are both serviceable machines but the Lyman is probably easier/cheaper to find used.

They normally run within about $20 of each other when new.

I just checked the Midwayusa site and the RCBS is on SALE for $145 !

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/172702/rcbs-lube-a-matic-2-bullet-sizer-and-lubricator

georgerkahn
07-15-2018, 08:41 AM
Sorry re your loss! I have several Lymans -- the 45, and 450 models, and concur 100% with the post by Beagle333! One "plus" to the Lyman is their (optional) gas check seater accessory -- a small item which Midway sells for $11.29 -- which makes GCs ever so easy to apply to your cast bullets! (I do not know if this tool will work -- albeit it might/should -- on the RCBS units.) As a btw, I'm 70 yrs young, and pray to be as privileged as you are to still be casting, reloading, and shooting at 83, God willing! And, re Korea, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
geo

lightman
07-15-2018, 08:58 AM
I've had a Lyman 450 for ever. A few friends have the RCBS, which I have used or seen being used. The linkage looks to be stronger on the RCBS. Both are good machines and will do the job for you. I also would like to thank you for your service. My Dad was a Korean War Vet as was a Friends Dad. Both are gone now.

marlin39a
07-15-2018, 09:12 AM
I also recommend the Lyman 450. Always deals on the this site. I have 3 of them. Been using for 40 yrs.

Catch
07-15-2018, 11:17 AM
The one I lost in the fire was an old (40 yrs) RCBS. The threads on the die holder cap were worn out. Too fine.......... and the hex end of the lube res. shaft was worn out. Amazon has an RCBS for $144 and two Lymans for about @200 and a little more for the heater model (and g check asscessory) I cast for about 20 different calibers but nothing terribly hard. The 45-70 is the biggest and baddest so I do use a push through Lee for that one. Some I breech seat in a 45/100 Marlin Ballard. When my little shop burned last march a year ago I lost alot, my whole world was upset, but I have managed to rebuild and recover. Thank God for friends that have helped me rebuild and even donated tools and cast bullets for me to play with. God bless all of them. I think I will follow your suggestions and go with the Lyman/heater and gas check thingy. Thanks for your help and kind words............Catch.

All we really have is each other............

KenT7021
07-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Check eBay.The last Lyman 450 I bought cost $66.00 with dies and top punch still installed.All of the Lymans are strong enough.Problems start when users start doing things they were never intended for.I have six Lyman lube sizers of various models.Only bought one of the 450's new.The rest came from eBay and an estate sale.

Rich/WIS
07-15-2018, 03:36 PM
I vote Lyman, have several 450s and one RCBS LAM II. The ratchet on the Lyman is much easier to use than the T handle on the RCBS. It was so awkward that I converted the RCBS to use a ratchet.

Echo
07-15-2018, 07:02 PM
I have 2 Lachmillers bought used - they are basically the same as the RCBS LAM. I believe they are the better of the two, more robust to my thinking. I also have a Star I use a lot, even for rifle boolits, but I generally use the Lach's for GC boolits...

Jtarm
07-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Back in another life I had a 450 that I ended up selling.

When I got back in to casting I bought the RCBS, as I’ve always felt their products were slightly better quality

Wish I’d bought another 450 now.

I miss the ratchet on the lube pressure screw, it never got in the way of the press linkage.

The vise-screw lever on the RCBS sometimes gets in the way, even after sliding it to the other side. I end up having to loosen slightly before I can raise the ram.

Other than that, they seem almost identical. I still have the bench my 450 was mounted on and the RCBS fit right on to them.

MT Chambers
07-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Of your 2 choices I'd definitely get the STAR, period, end of discussion.

Mike W1
07-25-2018, 08:22 PM
I miss the ratchet on the lube pressure screw, it never got in the way of the press linkage.

Didn't like it either but another soul on here put me on to this.

Use a ¼” drive ½” 6 point socket with a slot cut in it to allow a bolt to go through
the top of the luber screw and you can eliminate that annoying double ended ball to
apply pressure. The ¼” drive socket wrench works much nicer. I cut the slot with
a metal angle grinder. And you’re not messing with the factory setup. Think I paid
$1.59 for the socket!

pworley1
07-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Unless you are doing heavy sizing. I would go with the Lyman 45. To me it is much easier to use than the 450 or 4500. You can usually find one on here or Ebay for $50.00 or less. Thank you for your service

Marlin356
07-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Neither SAECO is the best by far.

jerryp
10-15-2018, 07:25 PM
I have a good clean Lyman 450 with 5 dies and top punch i no longer need.

JMax
10-17-2018, 10:31 AM
I have one Lyman 45 and 3 RCBS LAMs, enuf said.

tazman
10-17-2018, 11:44 AM
I am using a Lyman 4500. It has a heater, but since I use NRA 50-50, it doesn't get plugged in.
I use RCBS sizing dies. I like the hole pattern of the RCBS dies better. It allows me to do a better job of picking which lube grooves I want lube in.

gwpercle
10-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Lyman 450 , mine's going on 50 years, Lyman has replacement 450 parts and upgrade kits for them.
Two years ago I bought up grade kit and few extra parts but have not needed them .
You're existing dies will be sure to work.
There's a 450 on ebay right now with a buy it now for $50.00 and that was just the first one that popped up . Someone on the site might have a spare for less.
Gary

woodbutcher
10-21-2018, 11:14 PM
:D Hi Catch.Thanks for your service.I had the privilege to know a bunch of WW1 2 and Korea vets.Great bunch of gentlemen and ladies.My Father and his oldest brother were WW1 vets.God bless you all.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Le o