PDA

View Full Version : Can't make ED'S RED

Walks
07-14-2018, 05:13 PM
I live in California. We aren't allowed to have "odorless mineral spirits"
I have all 3 of the other ingredients to make ED'S RED. But I can only find "regular" mineral spirits in CA. Can't get it through the mail/internet either.

Here's my QUESTION. What happens if you make ED'S RED with regular mineral spirits?
I always clean on the patio or garage with the big door open & back door too. So I work in a well ventilated area.

I hate auto correct on my tablet.

Outpost75
07-14-2018, 05:31 PM
As long as it light petroleum distillate it is OK. It will just smell.

But in Calif. they may be substituting a water-based product of milky color, which will not mix with the other materials, which will separate. Ok to use, but you must shake and mix before use.

Walks
07-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Thx, the stuff I was looking at ACE was milky white.

Outpost75
07-14-2018, 10:38 PM
If you have the K1, ATF and acetone, just mix them and leave out the mineral spirits.

I routinely mix the stuff without the acetone, because I use it indoors and don't want the fumes.

Works fine but not as quickly.

The ATF and K1 mix is a great gun oil and isn't a bad cleaner as-is.

Hannibal
07-14-2018, 10:51 PM
If I were to omit something, it would be the acetone before anything else.

If you can get regular mineral spirits, then use that. It smells a bit stronger is all. ***, we're cleaning guns. It's supposed to smell.

Walks
07-14-2018, 11:12 PM
I don't mind smell, at my at age if I can still smell, coffee, bacon, pipe tobacco, fresh cut grass and powder smoke I'm doing just fine.

And most important, My WIFE'S Ivory soap after she get's outa the shower.

Hannibal
07-14-2018, 11:30 PM
I don't mind smell, at my at age if I can still smell, coffee, bacon, pipe tobacco, fresh cut grass and powder smoke I'm doing just fine.

And most important, My WIFE'S Ivory soap after she get's outa the shower.

Well there ya go. Enjoy!

Mal Paso
07-14-2018, 11:36 PM
I bought regular mineral spirits at Home Depot for my last batch and it was clear petroleum base. Monterey County, Ca.

ATF smells like hypoid oil now so I switched that part to Marvel Mystery Oil. I can smell too!

bruce drake
07-14-2018, 11:40 PM
1qt ATF, 1qt 5W30 motor oil and 8oz of Hoppes #9 (If California allows Hoppes to be sold in their state...) Mix and pour into squirt or shaker bottles.
If you can't get a decent Ed's Red mix, this is my cleaning oil blend and it doesn't stink up the house either although I keep my firearm cleaning to the garage for marital bliss also.

Bruce

Mal Paso
07-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Odorless Mineral Spirits are legal in California but not LA. You can check the home depot site for the closest store with the real stuff.

I had the can in my hand today so I looked it up. You can buy Odorless Mineral Spirits in Monterey county. But apparently Mineral Spirits in LA have to Stink and they can only ship to you, 4 quarts for $48. I think a gallon of Odorless Mineral Spirits here is $12-14.

Walks
07-16-2018, 12:36 AM
I guess I'll check out Orange Cnty
Thx

Hamish
07-16-2018, 12:45 AM
Just an FYI to go along with the ingredients, ATF & Kerosene mixed has been found to out perform most penetrating lubricants. I use Ed's routinely for that purpose.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2018, 01:30 AM
I guess the original recipe had Gum Spirits of Turpentine instead of odorless mineral spirits.
I had Gum Spirits of Turpentine laying around, so that's what I've always used in my Ed's Red...I kind of like that smell.

BUT, the question is, does CA or L.A. allow that to be sold?

It's $20 a gallon in MN
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/solvents-cleaners-removers/thinners-solvents/sunnyside-reg-pure-gum-spirits-of-turpentine-1-gal/870g1/p-1444444213944.htm

Mal Paso
07-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Just an FYI to go along with the ingredients, ATF & Kerosene mixed has been found to out perform most penetrating lubricants. I use Ed's routinely for that purpose.

ATF and Acetone 50/50 is what I saw tested By Mechanics Illustrated etc as beating Liquid Wrench and the rest. Ed's has it all and gets used a lot of places but I keep 50/50 ATF and Acetone in a Spot Sprayer for tough bolts, etc. It holds pressure for years and keeps the Acetone from evaporating.

fast ronnie
07-16-2018, 10:47 AM
I use regular mineral spirits. The odorless and that milky garbage never come in my door.

mattw
07-16-2018, 12:12 PM
What about using diesel fuel for the K1? I have a couple hundred gallons on hand most of the time.

pworley1
07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
I would not use the milky stuff. I have always used the regular clear mineral spirits and it has worked fine.

Mal Paso
07-21-2018, 10:46 AM
What about using diesel fuel for the K1? I have a couple hundred gallons on hand most of the time.

The Gubberment fixed it and took all the lubrication OUT. Remember all the diesel engine Failures?

knifemaker
07-24-2018, 03:22 AM
CA. lawmakers are the most stupid idiots in the world. I can not get alcohol based leather dye because they banned it and you have to get water based leather dye now. Not worth a darn. But, I can go into my local hardware store and buy a gallon of alcohol and still buy odorless mineral spirits. That is like banning the bullets. but not the guns.

redhawk0
07-24-2018, 08:03 AM
I use regular MS...I've never had an issue. And I do use Acetone too. (some leave it out). I actually like the smell. Just mix up a batch with what you find locally.

redhawk

Mal Paso
07-24-2018, 10:33 AM
CA. lawmakers are the most stupid idiots in the world. I can not get alcohol based leather dye because they banned it and you have to get water based leather dye now. Not worth a darn. But, I can go into my local hardware store and buy a gallon of alcohol and still buy odorless mineral spirits. That is like banning the bullets. but not the guns.

I like how you can only buy some oil based paints in quarts because there are too many VOCs in a gallon. They couldn't comprehend there is just as many VOCs in 4 quarts and more would get into the air messing with 4 cans.

Math isn't as important as it used to be since the development of cost overruns.

Rick459
08-04-2018, 08:16 PM
when i make my Ed's Red i substitute Kroil for the Lanolin and find that it removes the lead in my pistols when i shoot my cast boolits. i have also used Laquer thinner instead of the minerial sprits and it works just as well.
Rick

woodbutcher
08-08-2018, 12:32 PM
:lol: Hi JonB.I remember when $20.00 would buy 80 gallons of the stuff. That`s right folks.25 cents a gallon.My Father was a house painter for almost 60 years before he retired.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Char-Gar
08-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Buy what you need via Amazon and it will arrive at your door in Cali.

RogerDat
08-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Buy what you need via Amazon and it will arrive at your door in Cali. Why I do believe you are suggesting going around stupid rather than butting it with your head. You're right. As long as Amazon doesn't have a flag to say banned or prohibited you can just bypass the idiots. Eye on the prize. Eye on the prize.

bbogue1
08-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Way back when the formula was developed that we have modified to utilize current available products, the original formula called for turpentine (a Stoddard solvent). It is adapted from a formula in Hatcher's Notebook, Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18 developed in the late 1800's. The original Hatcher recipe called for equal parts of acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil, and optionally 200 grams of lanolin added per liter. Any Stoddard solvent is in the family of mineral spirits. Mineral spirits (U.S.) or white spirits (U.K.), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived common organic solvent. None are water soluable due to their petrolium origination. You'll find this interesting reading: https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html This article gets down to the carbon make up and presents tables of what a Stoddard Solvent is https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp79-c3.pdf

Walks
08-09-2018, 01:02 AM
A haven't found any one who will ship to me. No one on amazon that's for sure.

Steppenwolf
08-11-2018, 03:02 AM
This stuff works the best for me. 225349 I use apple cider vinegar.

DukeInFlorida
08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Ed's Red, Ken's Red Oil (Kroil), etc... pretty much similar stuff..........

One of Firearm's New's (formerly Shotgun News) current authors is Gus Norcross. He does all of their current gunsmithing articles. I met Gus when I lived in Maine. He does all of my fussy work. I once traded Gus a web site for some work on my M1A. A link he had me put on his web site is the recipe he uses:
Gus' Red Lube (http://angusarms.com/articles/gun_lube_for_the_masses.pdf)

I have been making it ever since, and it's wonderful stuff.
BTW, here's a quick link to some of the articles Gus has written for Firearms News:
Link for Gus' Articles (http://www.firearmsnews.com/author/gnorcross/#)

fiberoptik
08-14-2018, 01:10 AM
This stuff works the best for me. 225349 I use apple cider vinegar.

???? Vinegar????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk