PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Goatwhiskers
07-14-2018, 11:28 AM
I tried starting a day without coffee---once. My court date is pending.GW

Der Gebirgsjager
07-14-2018, 11:45 AM
An all American jury will never convict you......!

marlin39a
07-14-2018, 11:49 AM
I can do it on hot, summer mornings. I do replace it with Coke or Mountain Dew.

3leggedturtle
07-14-2018, 12:07 PM
I tried starting a day without coffee---once. My court date is pending.GW

Lol,wanna see my true personality? Catch me in the morning before coffee! Todd/3leg

smokeywolf
07-14-2018, 12:19 PM
All the time that I was working (before retirement), Mrs. smokeywolf would get up 20 minutes before me, make coffee, wake me up with a fresh cup and fill an insulated travel cup for my 50 mile drive to work.
A little off topic but, 11 to 12 hours later when I'd get home from work, she'd meet me at the truck with an ice cold beer in an iced mug.

Goatwhiskers
07-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Smokey your wife is a jewel. My wife, on her way home from a hard day teaching high school idjits would send me a one word text msg: "COFFEE". GW

lightman
07-14-2018, 12:56 PM
All the time that I was working (before retirement), Mrs. smokeywolf would get up 20 minutes before me, make coffee, wake me up with a fresh cup and fill an insulated travel cup for my 50 mile drive to work.
A little off topic but, 11 to 12 hours later when I'd get home from work, she'd meet me at the truck with an ice cold beer in an iced mug.

Wow, what a keeper!

Char-Gar
07-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Caffeine deficiency is valid legal defense for every crime except murder.

swamp
07-14-2018, 01:11 PM
My coffee is French Market coffee & chicory. It's my breakfast.
swamp

RU shooter
07-14-2018, 01:16 PM
My stomach actually gets twisted all up if I don't have any caffeine in the mornings . For the last 8 months been trying to cut back on caffeine I fill my thermos half with decaf half high test and only drink coffee at home on the weekend mornings . Usually about half pot

jeepyj
07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
No coffee? not sure how I'd react as I haven't ever tried or been in a situation where I've needed to. I even bring a coffee pot and a one burner stove to the range each week!

Smoke4320
07-14-2018, 01:39 PM
I am now down to 3 cups a day on good days and 4 cups on bad days .. Used to be 8 to 10 cups a day
Coffee is my painkiller . Aleve if it get real real bad .. refuse to take stronger meds ..Its a personal thing

CastingFool
07-14-2018, 02:34 PM
I buy organic french roast coffee in two pound bags. Been known to have 4 bags in reserve. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house.

smokeywolf
07-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Don't/can't drink decaffeinated. Less than 2 cups by 5PM and I end up with a migraine headache by 9PM.

RED BEAR
07-14-2018, 02:58 PM
gave up smoking gave up drinking but a man has to draw a line somewi and this is it .i refuse to give up my coffee. i have cut back from three to four pots a day to four cups. but thats all i can do!!

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Wednesday afternoon down in Santa Fe I bought some freshly roasted Yemen Mocha beans. Oh, my. How wonderful. Treat yourself every now and then. It will keep you out of the slammer.

472x1B/A
07-14-2018, 03:34 PM
I'll be 67 this month. I started drinking coffee at 11. Can drink it all day, from sunup to sundown. Any way, lip scalding hot to iced, but DON'T put no sugar in it, burnt or a day old, if it's there I'll drink it. I really like coffee.

Chad5005
07-14-2018, 04:26 PM
im 49 and only been drinking coffee a few years but cant get my days started anymore without my 2 12oz cups in the morning

Walks
07-14-2018, 04:28 PM
My WIFE sets up the COFFEE POT every night. She doesn't drink it, but she understands it. Her Father drank Coffee PERIOD, NOTHING ELSE.
I flip the COFFEE make on my way to the head every morning. By the time walk outa the head the COFFEE is ready. I allow myself no more then 3 12oz cups a day.
I don't drink it anywhere but home. Restaurant coffee tastes like warm water with a brown crayon dipped in it.
And I sure don't go into starbucks or buy their anti-CONSTITUTION **** in a bag.

smoked turkey
07-14-2018, 04:52 PM
A few months back I accepted a challenge at church to 'fast' something one day a week I really like and use the time to pray for our upcoming revival. Up until that time I didn't realize how addicted I am to caffeine. Well I made it and we had a great revival, but I found out about my addiction. On those days I had a humdinger of a headache, and generally felt lousy. The wife and I do like our coffee.

Preacher Jim
07-14-2018, 05:07 PM
My doctor told me 2 cups maximum. Not one to beat around bush I bought a bigger cup, 2 cups drains 10 cup pot but I only drink 2 cups. My wife gets up and makes coffee then tells me it making. 54 years and only time my coffee not ready was when she was in bed with lot of damage from accident.

trapper9260
07-14-2018, 05:39 PM
I started to drink coffee when I got into the navy and that was what kept you going for the long hours. I drink it with nothing in it.After I got out I drink a pot in the morning. That is a 10 cup pot. If I drink too much of it in a days time It will start to put me to sleep.

redhawk0
07-14-2018, 05:47 PM
I drink 10 cups every morning. I get the 2 lb bag of Kona blend from BJs and that's my everyday coffee when I'm home. I'm get pretty spoiled some days and then.....I have to drink the swill coffee from a hotel. It makes me yearn for home all the more.

My wife always keeps me in Kona. Just 7ish more years to retirement....Those retirement years with this woman will be wonderful.

redhawk

rockrat
07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
My wife can't get her morning going without Coffee, but me, can't hardly stand to smell the stuff let alone drink it.

sparky45
07-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Black Rifle coffee; some of the best there is. I too started my addiction in the Navy and it's stayed with me for 53 years now.

Thundarstick
07-14-2018, 06:05 PM
I guess I'm a coffee snob. I buy whole beans, grind them rite before I brew them in a moka pot and make my own triple cappuccino. One a day for pennies and Starbucks gets no money to fight me with. Win win!

Kraschenbirn
07-14-2018, 06:38 PM
I, too, grind my own and five generous scoops of Kenya AA with a light touch of a Bavarian chocolate blend in the drip machine motivates my morning quite nicely.

Bill

Wayne Smith
07-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Port City Java - Wilmington, NC. Been buying their beans for over 20 years. 2lbs Tanzanian Peaberry, 1lb Colombian dark roast both in the bean. I mix these and that has been our morning brew. I order online, get the coffee usually two days later, it was roasted on the day I ordered it. Only way to get it fresher than that is to roast your own.

For 43 years I have gotten up in the morning, made coffee and breakfast for the family, now just the two of us again. LOML needs a cup in the morning to be fully functional. I just like it.

GhostHawk
07-14-2018, 09:41 PM
I've done it in mid summer, with a freshly brewed jug of sweet tea. Still not quite the same though.

I used to drink a single 12 oz insulated mug of coffee every morning. Then my wife upgraded me to a couple of those nice stainless steel insulated 20 oz coffee mugs.

Ok I'm spoiled, I know it.

Blend this month. Rainforest alliance hazelnut, 8 oclock hazelnut, Verona Street Mississippi grog in roughly equal amounts. Ground fresh every morning. 45 cranks of the grinder right hand, 45 left hand.

Wintertime I tend to swap the rainforest hazelnut for Pablo's Pride. Just has more UMMPHhhh and get up and go in it. Needed up here in cold country.

Walks
07-14-2018, 09:46 PM
I remember NAVY Coffee. Only stuff worse then what my DAD made. We boys started drinking Coffee with him when we hit 12yrs. I think He was prepping us for NAVY Coffee.

abunaitoo
07-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Used to drink coffee.
Can't now.
GOUT.
I would always drink it straight.
That way I could taste what real good coffee taste like.
Fufu coffee is OK, but you can make almost anything taste good with enough sugar and stuff.
It's funny, but Green tea I can drink. Only Green tea. Other teas give me attacks.
These days all I drink is water.

richhodg66
07-14-2018, 09:55 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted. Usually drink it most of the day, gotta have two or three cups when I get up to be able to think. I've tried to cut back from time to time, yeah, didn't work.

Sodas and tea don't hack it either. And I never learned to like it with anything in it, gotta have it black and strong. I drank it before, but it became a compulsion during Desert Shield and Desert Storm, never kicked it when I got back. I guess as vices go, coffee isn't too bad. Never smoked or dipped, but if nicotine is like coffee, I'd be the guy lighting one off the other had I ever taken it up.

WRideout
07-14-2018, 10:13 PM
When I worked in the state prison, briefly, I once had the opportunity to drink the coffee the inmates got. It was as bad as you could imagine. I'm surprised it didn't cause a riot.

Wayne

tommag
07-15-2018, 02:04 AM

True love!

tommag
07-15-2018, 02:12 AM
I have a close friend from Ethiopia. His daughter "roasts" the green beans in a saucepan over high heat, presents the pan for our approval, then grinds the beans very fine. They serve it in tiny cups. It's much like espresso, very strong and dark. I love having coffee at Berhane's house!

45workhorse
07-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Coffee and Copenhagen only way to start the day! If one is missing it will be a bad day!:coffeecom

jonp
07-15-2018, 06:21 AM

Every Friday my wife stops at a store that has beer on sale. Micro brews that are near the expiration date and buys me a couple. It's always a surprise what they are as she picks them by how she likes the label which is as good as any. After another 70hr week a nice IPA or Porter is always nice.

jonp
07-15-2018, 06:23 AM
I was thinking of this the other day as I have been drinking coffee in the morning since I was in high school but a few days ago I was so rushed I didn't have time to make any or stop to get some. Strangely, I thought, I never got the headaches or whatever you might get from not having any or really notice it during the day.

jonp
07-15-2018, 06:26 AM
Black Rifle coffee; some of the best there is. I too started my addiction in the Navy and it's stayed with me for 53 years now.

^^+1. Great stuff but a little pricey however, it's nice to treat yourself to one thing in life. Besides casting I mean :wink:

Thin Man
07-15-2018, 07:46 AM
Back when I was still working a day job my routine was to stumble into the workplace and mumble "Just get me some coffee and nobody will get hurt." The guys believed it for a while, later they dismissed it as just my babbling in some foreign language. A guy can't get a break.

Big Tom
07-15-2018, 07:58 AM
I also need my coffee in the morning - not so much during the day anymore. Started roasting my own coffee about 5 years ago and refuse to buy the junk they sell at Starbucks and DunkinDonuts. We have a coffee machine that does the grinding and dispensing for each cup, from Espresso to a lighter large cup, and you cannot beat fresh roasted and brewed coffee. A cup of that and a croissant is all I need for a good start into the day :-)

Petrol & Powder
07-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Caffeine deficiency is valid legal defense for every crime except murder.

If I was on the jury, caffeine deficiency might even be a valid defense for murder, depending on who the victim was... :grin:

bedbugbilly
07-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Mmmmmmm . . . . a good cup of coffee! I think I started drinking it when I was about 15 or so. Have enjoyed it all of my life. Then "doctors" come along . . . one says it's bad, one says it's O.K. . . . and of course they all "know best". Hmmmm . . .
I have cut back some . . probably average 4 cups a day now . . . . 2 the first thing in the morning and two in the evening. My wife says she can't understand how I can have coffee in the evening and be able to go to sleep . . . doesn't seem to affect my ability to go to sleep at all. When I had my shop, I had a coffee pot going all day long . . . customers would stop in even to grab a cup and it seemed like I always had a cup on the bench but sometimes it got cold before I got to it.

I don't smoke anymore . . . haven't in years but I still care a pipe or a cigar once in a while . . . don't drink . . . try to eat well as the cardiologist is always lecturing on that. My goal in life is that when "my time comes", I'm sitting in a rocking chair on the porch with a good cup of coffee, smoking Kentucky Club in an old corncob pipe and eating a nice fried chicken leg . . . sort of a "last hurrah"! LOL

Roy Acuffff
07-15-2018, 08:50 AM
I retired in November 1998, had been drinking coffee since I was 19. But in 11/98 I decided to quite coffee. I have probably had 10 (ten) cups of coffee since that time, haven't missed it at all. To each their own but there is a world on the other side without coffee. Enjoy and have a excellent day.

Roy

Wayne Smith
07-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Used to drink coffee.
Can't now.
GOUT.
I would always drink it straight.
That way I could taste what real good coffee taste like.
Fufu coffee is OK, but you can make almost anything taste good with enough sugar and stuff.
It's funny, but Green tea I can drink. Only Green tea. Other teas give me attacks.
These days all I drink is water.
Then add some black cherry juice. It is specific for gout. Black cherry in any form, but the juice is concentreated.

richhodg66
07-15-2018, 09:05 AM
I had never heard that coffee contributed to gout. I've never had it but have a neighbor who suffers with it and it is apparently pretty miserable.

glockfan
07-15-2018, 09:11 AM
i'm an avid coffee drinker.not that i'm getting moe than i should,i drink like 2-3 a day.

if i'm not having at least one in the morning,i'm miserable. might not pronounce a single word for the day lol.

i too don't drink it elsewhere than home. most coffee on the fly taste like unknown brown matter macerated in hot water.

i now buy premium brown beans coffee only,as the cost difference isn't a factor for me; yes,i like coffee that much.

kenya AA
tanzania peaberry AA
arabica Bruni
sumatra brown
galapagos brown

those are my favs,and i always have a good batch of each ones in the fridge.

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2018, 10:42 AM
I remember NAVY Coffee. Only stuff worse then what my DAD made. We boys started drinking Coffee with him when we hit 12yrs. I think He was prepping us for NAVY Coffee.

Flight Ops coffee at 0430...before the day shift came on duty and brought a fresh themos jug from the messhall. Blacker'n a witch's heart, bitter, and left grounds in the bottom of your cup.

Bill

Moleman-
07-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Generally have half of a 12 cup pot at some point during the day. I can fill up my coffee cup almost twice from half a pot.... so I only have 2 or maybe 4 cups of coffee a day.

Reverend Al
07-15-2018, 05:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8obETfg.jpg

mold maker
07-15-2018, 06:55 PM
I've started my day with coffee for over 73 years that I can remember.
The only exception being three mornings before surgeries, but I made up for it before dinner. It's not a matter of want or desire, it's a necessity for everyone within earshot. Lack of it can make Jeckel and Hyde look like lovers.
I gave up cigarettes and drink without anyone noticing, but leave my coffee alone.

9mmskng
07-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Nectar of the Gods!

alamogunr
07-16-2018, 09:17 AM
When I was working, I took a quart thermos of coffee to work every day. That was after 2-3 cups before work. This was all instant. Just lazy. When I retired we bought a Cuisinart coffee maker. First one gave up the ghost about 4 years ago. Had to go buy another that same day.

Bought a Keurig shortly after the second Cuisinart and wore it out in 3 years. Second one still works. Wife won't drink anything else. I only use it when I want a cup in middle of the day. Buy the cups mail order to save money. Somehow we go thru about 6-8 cups a day in addition to regular brew.

I've considered grinding my own but can't decide what grinder to get. Too many choices. I've never trusted multi-function devices so I don't want a combination grinder-brewer. Suggestions?

anothernewb
07-16-2018, 09:31 AM
I've found that people come in 3 versions in the morning.

Those that wake up and hit the ground runinng

Those that need a 15 minutes of snooze and another few minutes to process things and grease the gears

and then there are those, who wake up a cro-magnon knuckle dragging neanderthal and need at least one cup of coffee to revisit a few hundred millennia of evolution.

I won't mention which one my wife is, but I was warned when we began to date, that if I want to survive - not to make any sudden moves before she's had at least one cup of coffee.

woodbutcher
07-16-2018, 12:25 PM
:grin: I have used the 8 O`clock brand for years.Remember the great aroma when you walked into the A&P grocery stores?I usually drink a full pot every day.Yummy.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

RogerDat
07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Caffeine deficiency is valid legal defense for every crime except murder. In the case of murder it isn't a defense but it can be used as part of a diminished mental capacity defense. Which is legit unlike the twinkie defense which is easily disproven. If junk food made people homicidal then Google and other tech companies would have a higher body count.

Never mind oil or strategic metal embargo! Cut us off from our coffee and I'm pretty sure your country will be invaded by the time the average household gets down to 1/2 a can left. All enterprise and production would grind to a halt. Well maybe if we got a lot of cocaine we could make it for a couple of weeks on strong tea but by then we would make Hannibal Lecture look like a leading candidate for the neighborhood welcome wagon.

Reverend Al
07-16-2018, 02:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uZT3les.jpg