PDA

View Full Version : .32 mag starline brass

mainiac
11-28-2005, 08:50 PM
have been using this brass for a while now, and im happy with it except that im loosing cases due to splits in the body. Been shooting all cast bullets in it, at around 950-1050 f.p.s. primer pockets are still tight so this is not an over load problem. the federal brass has never failed. E-mailed starline about this and they never see fit to write me back. the splits go pretty near all the way up the side, although ive never had a case mouth do it . is this common in this brass? what is causing it? When a case splits, i know right off when i go to eject and have to tap the ejector knob pretty hard to get the case out. Hate to spend the cash on the federals, maybe i have a bad lot or something. thanks,mark

RayinNH
11-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Mark, you didn't say how many times it's been reloaded. I've seen it with some of my .38 Specials and .45 Colt, but thats just because it's been reloaded a whole bunch. It will work harden only so many times before it will fail. Rifle casings usually get annealed but I don't know anyone that anneals pistol casings unless it's a real hard to come by oddball...Ray

fourarmed
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Some of my .32 mag brass has been loaded at least a dozen times, and with pretty salty loads, but it has been fired in a single shot (Merrill) with a tight chamber. What are you shooting yours in?

mainiac
11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
the brass has been loaded about 6-8 times id guess,,, out of the origanal 100 pieces ive lost 14 of them. when i shoot the .32 i load 50 at a time, and it seems like 2 or 3 cases split each time out. been doing it since it was new brass. the gun is a ruger single six. also the brass resizes really easy so i dont beleave that i have over size chambers.

fourarmed
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Call Starline, and ask for technical assistance. My experience is that most of these places do not have an employee whose job it is to answer emails.

9.3X62AL
11-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I've been very fortunate with the 32 Magnum revolvers I've owned--both had pretty tight chambers, and the Federal brass I bought as loaded rounds in 1985 are still going strong after at least 25 loadings. I recently got some of the Starline examples, and these have not yet been fired. If they last half as long as the Federal critters, I'll be very happy.