PDA

View Full Version : Beware mice I'm armed and ready for ya !

RU shooter
07-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Well I am the semi proud owner of my first true mouse gun. Got a deal on a Keltec P32 I couldn't pass up . I've always wanted one of these since they came out on the market just due to its tiny size and lack of weight . It's a first gen. gun came with that little belt clip thing 3 mags ( in case I have to deal with a whole herd of mice ) and an extra green grip frame . Haven't shot it yet 32 ammo is rare as hens teeth I've found out in my area . If I have to mail order ammo can anyone who has one tell me what brand is perfered ? Or better yet what to avoid.I am wanting to stay with regular ball ammo cuz mice got rather tough fur!

Tim

Don Purcell
07-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Sometimes a wounded mouse will charge and you have to stand fast, aim well and break'em down. A traumatic experience, I had nightmares for weeks.

mattw
07-13-2018, 08:32 AM
I just had a CZ70 follow me home... I had acquired around 500 rounds of ammo over the years, so had some to shoot while I gathered the stuff to reload them. Gonna roll my first this weekend, have lead and a handful of jacketed projectiles. When I was a kid, 32acp was everywhere... now it is nowhere. I am also looking to pick up some more brass, these are gonna get lost from time to time!

My 70 really like eastern bloc ammo, it is .309ish. The US stuff is slower and fatter. The 70 has a longish barrel and shoots the old import stuff just a whisker over 1000fps, most of the US stuff is 10 to 25 under 900 fps. The bore on my gun is perfect and slugs out to be best for .309 cast as it measured between .308 and .309. Most cast are .311 to .314, so I will be sizing them down and using Euro cases for proper fit. I have a feeling the US cases brass will be to thin to hold them in properly.

EMC45
07-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Those P32s are nice. I have carried a P3AT in .380 for many years. I think the P32 is more accurate than the P3AT.

FergusonTO35
07-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Don't bother with domestic ammo, it is watered down and overpriced. Get European 7.65 Browning such as Fiocchi or S&B, it will stop even the most determined rodent!

mattw
07-13-2018, 11:34 AM
I have been using some PPU and it works really well! Plinking with US stuff to use it up.

rintinglen
07-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Outpost avers that you want a boolit that runs long, .945 OAL IIRC, and he has many years experience with the 32. I have had very good results with the Ranch Dog 314-75 but I load them to .905 NOE now makes this mold

Geezer in NH
07-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Mine always liked Win Silvertips. I still have a couple boxes of them and still carry it when little is needed.

Texas by God
07-13-2018, 04:50 PM
In my experience the .32 ACP is an accurate cartridge; the .380 is not. That FN 1922 brings back pleasant memories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
07-14-2018, 05:06 AM
The Browning BDA I had would tack drive with the loads I shot, if you made them too hot it'd string vertically HORRIBLY but a little lower powder load would cycle perfectly and shoot as well or better than I could. A stronger recoil spring would let you shoot heavier loads, if you need stronger loads. I wouldn't want to use a 380 for self defense tho, it isn't very powerful, it'd kill mice all day though! Nice little gun and with the dual column mag it filled my hand well enough, I doubt an AMT backup would have served me well though, for example.

trapper9260
07-14-2018, 07:03 AM
I have a P32 ,I just use my reloads with cast boolits. I reload for 32 any ways for my 327 BH and also for the Handi Rifle I had my gunsmith make for me. For my P32 I size the boolit to .312 . There is no problem for it to cycle. I try some factory rounds and for the cost of them it is not worth for me to keep buy them that way. For my it dose not shoot like a regular semi auto. The front dot need to be even with the top of the 2 side dots. and it is dead on.Like stated Outpost is the man on 32's .I got some information and advice from him also.

EMC45
07-14-2018, 10:41 AM
The reloads I worked up for 2 different P32s were Lyman 311-252 over a very small dose of Bullseye (can't remember right now). They did very good.

RU shooter
07-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the advice folks . All I could find after work today was Win white box at wallymart for 24 bucks I passed as I can mail order 2 boxes of euro made stuff almost as cheap . As far as reloading for it , I'm gonna pass I opened up the box at wallymart and seen how small those cases are . Between my barely functioning pudgy fingers and my shooting area being very grassy and brass loss will be very high don't really seem like it be worth the trouble for me . Again thanks

Tim

Finster101
07-15-2018, 11:59 AM
I have carried a P32 for years and it shows it but it goes bang every time.

Drm50
07-15-2018, 01:47 PM
I have owned a sack of good 32acp pistols. I never did much shooting with them other than fool
around plinking. My only gut buster type gun that I keep is a Walther PP 32. For what it is it is
accurate enough to be practical. I always wondered why some American company didn't make
one in a sport model with Adj sights. I think a good 32 auto would be a useful gun where you
want more than a 22 but less than a 38sp when after small game & varmits. I had a Hi Standard
380 with 4" barrel, built on their 22 auto pistol design. At the time I had it I had no use for such
a gun. Would like to have one now to put adj sights on and see what it would do.

Kuato
07-15-2018, 02:53 PM
I have several 32s that i enjoy shooting and yes, reloading for. Just recently picked up an Accurate Mold (31-087T) to shoot out of my M70. The Pill drops at .313 and 88 gr with my alloy. Tumble lube over 2gr of Unique. cycled great but may be a bit hard on polymer frames. I also Load 71gr FMJ over 2.2 gr Bullseye.
Lots of rounds per pound of powder and lead. As far as the grassy shooting spot, I've thrown down an old bed sheet to catch the brass. No need to pick all the cases, just use the sheet as a bag a-la- hobo style.

dverna
07-15-2018, 03:25 PM
I used Winchester Slivertips in my Seecamp

Silver Jack Hammer
07-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Didn’t James Bond use a Walter to interrogate a ��

mattw
07-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Let me start off by saying... Have been loading for almost 35 years and this is the first time I have loaded these. The CZ70 has a fairly tight chamber and wants .309-.310 bullets and they only fit properly in some brass. I found success with G.F.L., Geco, PPU, some WW, some FC but no R-P way to loose. The bullets I used were Missouri Bullets Cowboy #18, I think they are Lyman 314252 clones. They came in .314, way to large for the CZ. So I sized them down to .310 as my barrel slugged .308+. I also found that many factory rounds from the US and Euro countries would not freely drop in the chamber (pics below), so I set mine up to come close seated to .949 and they worked fine as she has a good strong recoil spring. They also feed without issue, about 50 of them!

I do have a little brass running up the ejector and it does scratch the cases, may polish it a little and I also have a ding on the ejector port. Likely will order a recoil spring (wish I could get a little stronger one) and an ejector and extractor. Very pleasant to shoot!

I ran all the loads over the chronograph. This little gun likes higher velocity, groups are much better over 950fps. I have attached some data that I have been working on... ymmv! I will be working more with TiteGroup, may step it up and down one tenth and see what happens. So far, no pressure signs.

I would love to find this bullet with the front driving band not as far forward and without a crimp groove. At some point, I may have a mould made for it... just not sure yet.

If anyone has extra Euro brass, please let me know! I need more, working with 49 rounds stinks!

Earlwb
07-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Yeah the .32 auto and even the .25 auto ammo can be hard to find sometimes. Fortunately, our local Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy and Walmart have the stuff in stock. But not a lot of choices for different types to choose from though. Some of the better gun stores have some. Cabelas seems to have the largest choice for different brands and bullets though. I think all I saw at Academy was the Aquila brands in these small calibers. I was surprised to see some at the local Bass Pro last night though. Bass Pro even had some S&W .32 Long ammo too. I don't remember anyone ever having a sale on these more obscure cartridges either.

trapper9260
07-16-2018, 07:29 AM
I have a KelTec P32 and I reload for it and cast also since I cast for the other 32's handgun loads.I size my boolits to .312 for it and I have it shoot better then the factory rounds and not as much since the 32ACP is not on the low cost. I have found brass for it in different places. So It all works for me also in my 327 BH I shoot all 5 32's in it so it all works for me and had a Handi Rifle made for the 327 also.For the 327 BH I size the boolits to .313 .I also use the 32 boolts and size them down to shoot in my 30cals for shoot like a 22lr.

Earlwb
07-16-2018, 08:04 AM
If it is a revolver or single shot pistol, in a .32 caliber, one could make snakshot or ratshot shells too. ref https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/32-caliber-shotshell-wad-kit/
One could do it for the .32 Auto as well, but coming up with a frangible shot holder would be tricky.

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-q00qx350s4/products/181/images/478/metal-cap-2-__02282.1472917918.480.400.jpg

trapper9260
07-16-2018, 08:10 AM
I made some out of the 327 and just use cards that I made from cracker box and no GC. It all works for me. I just have to adjust for the other 32's .What I seen that for no lead build up like I seen was stated in some other post on other cases. That with a barrel that have home made lube in the barrel will help for no leading from the shot that is use like stated Earlwd .

Silver Jack Hammer
07-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Didn’t James Bond use a Walther to interrogate a mouse in Spectre?

My previous reply didn’t post the image of the mouse.

Hogtamer
07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Rooster Cogburn would think you were seriously undergunned with a .32 and he tells you why in 30 seconds!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wxqFQj76U

Drm50
07-16-2018, 11:31 AM
I have 32acp dies & several 32 molds, but I can say I have never reloaded a 32acp in my life. Now
32 revolver, short & long I have loaded hundreds. My BIL had a 25 that he was plinking with all
the time. It's only gun he owned. My sister was at him for wasting so much money on 25ammo.
He turns up at my house with new Dies and a sack of empties. I solved that situation by taking
his 25 and giving him a H&R 22. I've never loaded a 25acp either.

mattw
07-16-2018, 11:48 AM
I have 32acp dies & several 32 molds, but I can say I have never reloaded a 32acp in my life. Now
32 revolver, short & long I have loaded hundreds. My BIL had a 25 that he was plinking with all
the time. It's only gun he owned. My sister was at him for wasting so much money on 25ammo.
He turns up at my house with new Dies and a sack of empties. I solved that situation by taking
his 25 and giving him a H&R 22. I've never loaded a 25acp either.

Wanna part with any of those 32 moulds? I have loaded 25acp, not for myself but for a long past friend that was a commercial reloader. Can't load those on a 1050, gotta have a good powder measure. I do still have 4 or 5 hundred empty brass, figure some day I will own one.

MEB
07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Mattw, Lee dies had a 32 ACP Undersized Sizing Die, it does not show on the web sit, you might find one on one of the online stores.
If not, you can special order one from Lee.
I had them make a carbide sizing die for my 41 L colt

RU shooter
07-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Rooster Cogburn would think you were seriously undergunned with a .32 and he tells you why in 30 seconds!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wxqFQj76U
Lol That was good been a while since I've watched that movie . i think the duke would be ok with the 32 if it was just for mice ! But for that big rat yeah you need 45 colt at a minimum (think that's what he shot?) ......especially at that long range across the room distance .

375supermag
07-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Hi...

I did some online research and it appears that the average common mouse weighs about 1.6 ounces.
Obviously, if one takes a certain well known gun writer from the past seriously, and I am sure we all do...one should endeavor to use enough gun and since the .30/06 is never a mistake then one should immediately discard any .32 caliber handgun before attempting to defend one's self from any creature as imposing and dangerous as a mouse.
Grab your .30/06 and be assured that you have enough gun and also be sure you couldn't possibly have made a mistake.

mattw
07-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Mattw, Lee dies had a 32 ACP Undersized Sizing Die, it does not show on the web sit, you might find one on one of the online stores.
If not, you can special order one from Lee.
I had them make a carbide sizing die for my 41 L colt

Thanks, I will check into that! Then I would need to reduce the size of the expander just a little. But that would be a good way to go!

RU shooter
07-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Hi...

I did some online research and it appears that the average common mouse weighs about 1.6 ounces.
Obviously, if one takes a certain well known gun writer from the past seriously, and I am sure we all do...one should endeavor to use enough gun and since the .30/06 is never a mistake then one should immediately discard any .32 caliber handgun before attempting to defend one's self from any creature as imposing and dangerous as a mouse.
Grab your .30/06 and be assured that you have enough gun and also be sure you couldn't possibly have made a mistake.

Lol I'm not tall enough to carry one in an iwb holster. maybe a 2" barrelled TC encore in 30-06 ,AP loads just to be safe !

375supermag
07-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Lol I'm not tall enough to carry one in an iwb holster. maybe a 2" barrelled TC encore in 30-06 ,AP loads just to be safe !

Hi...
I would recommend APBC discarding sabot with DU core.
Again...use enough gun and appropriate ammunition, no sense in taking any chances.
I do think it would take a big man to carry a 30/06 in a IWB but an Encore with a 2" barrel should be concealable...although I will admit I don't want to shoot it.
I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about the recoil...if you survive.

Mr_Sheesh
07-18-2018, 01:57 AM
If someone will make me a barrel I'll fire said 30-06 in a Contender. Mind you, I am NOT going to fire it with factory loads, I am thinking more like 3-4 Gr. Unique and a 80 grain or so Boolit. Should clear the muzzle and not hurt my hands. (No guarantees it'd make it to 25 yards though LOL)

Walks
07-18-2018, 02:24 AM
LYMAN#311252 has been my choice for .32ACP, cast of LINOTYPE over 2.2grs BULLSEYE. Cast of COWW over 1.1grs of BULLSEYE in the .32Short & Wimpy.

Yea, I know, but it worked for my DAD for 40+ yrs and it works for me.

My Wife has a cat, so I only have bury them in the ROSE BED. Free fertilizer.

Chev. William
01-16-2019, 09:09 PM
My candidate for a"Rodent Self Defense Weapon" is a Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol conversion from .22LR RF to .25ACP CF wiht an 8-1/8" long Tapered Barrel, Adjustable Rear Sight, and Volquartsen Target molded rubber Grip.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/0d25132f-0c8d-444d-92ee-414db2a33622_zpsn4jgp6ay.jpg
The Grip fits my hand and it has a 'swell' at he Bottom that extends below the normal end of the grip frame, surrounding the Magazine well opening, along with a thumb rest ledge for right hand use.

Without any Magazine, it is slightly muzzle heavy compared to a normal Ruger Standard Auto Pistol.

:bigsmyl2::swagemine:(cases, that is.)
Swaging Dies for reducing 5.7x28mm to .25 Stevens/.25ACP Diameters.

Chev. William

WinchesterM1
01-16-2019, 11:26 PM
I carry the Kel-Tec 32 with Leigh defense Cavitators and I do not feel under gun we at all

charlie b
01-17-2019, 12:19 AM
I had a Colt 1903 Auto pistol. It was extremely accurate with factory loads. I used the european stuff. Really nice little plinker and would take down jackrabbits easily.

I only used it for plinking and got tired of trying to find all those little brass cases, so, I sold it. I have to say that it was the pistol that converted my wife from revolvers to semi-autos. She liked shooting it a lot. Then she 'graduated' to her own Light Commander in .45.

Have fun with the little thing.

RU shooter
01-17-2019, 08:50 AM
To update this thread , haven't been attacked by any rodents big or small yet so can't say if it's up to the task. But Ive done a lot of carrying it in my coat pocket and shot a few boxes of Geco ball and some old win silver tips and it just purrs right along and at 7 yds keeping a magazine full in the kill zone of a humanoid target isn't a problem even at a quick pace . . Over all I'm very pleased with my little mouse gun .

jdfoxinc
01-17-2019, 11:34 AM
I had a Keltec P32 for defense under the cash register. It was stolen. Now have an Astra, a FEG walther clone, and a Beretta 92. You are making me want to go out and shoot them.

For the mice " nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Drm50
01-17-2019, 12:17 PM
The last mouse I shot was with a 12g slug. We were just setting up to check sights for deer season. Some previous members had left some scraps of junk food around the bench. Mouse came right out in front of bench
and started chewing on potatoe chip. I carefully aimed for between the eyes, knowing they can charge when wounded. With my Bro backing me up with a 45/70, I chanced the shot. We found some mouse residue the rest went into orbit. I can vouch for Brenneke slugs as good mouse loads.

375supermag
01-17-2019, 02:31 PM
The last mouse I shot was with a 12g slug. We were just setting up to check sights for deer season. Some previous members had left some scraps of junk food around the bench. Mouse came right out in front of bench
and started chewing on potatoe chip. I carefully aimed for between the eyes, knowing they can charge when wounded. With my Bro backing me up with a 45/70, I chanced the shot. We found some mouse residue the rest went into orbit. I can vouch for Brenneke slugs as good mouse loads.

Classic case of using enough gun...

Harry O
01-17-2019, 04:56 PM
I've got a P32 that I used to carry. Just about any factory ammo worked as did my handloads. I also have a number of other 32ACP's. The Walther PPK and Mauser HSc do not work well with US factory loads. They have tight chambers and need hotter loads to function. All of my handloads are made to work with the European guns, but they work in US guns, too. My handloads had a small problem with the P32 when I first got it, but there are no problems now.

One problem I had with the P32 and my handloads was that I use 77gr RN cast bullets. They would go up the feed ramp slowly or even occasionally stop. I read the "Fluff & Buff Kel-Tec P32" recommendations on the Internet and followed them. One of the most important parts was polishing the feedramp. It was rough. I ended up with 1500 grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and have had no problems with it since. If you use factory FMJ, you should not have any problem, as is.

I still shoot it from time to time, but use the heavier guns more often. They are sweet to shoot (and accurate, too), but are a bit big and heavy for concealed carry. I don't know how long that extremely light gun will hold together with my "warmish" loads, but it certainly is small. Reason enough to keep it.

PS: If you wound a mouse and they charge, remember that shooting through the skull with a 32ACP is iffy. Keeping your head about you is the only way to live. Aim for the knees. They are less protected.

Wag
01-18-2019, 01:04 PM
You need some good mouse hounds to go with that gun.

LOL

--Wag--

scattershot
01-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Elmer would be proud.

Chev. William
02-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Thursday, Feb. 14th, I took a "Range day" in the Wet, Cold, Breezy midday at Half Price range fee.

I shivered through firing about 150 rounds of Factory .25ACP FMJ through my Ruger Standard Auto MKII .25ACP converted Pistol with mixed results. The pistol 'patterned' Slightly Low and to the Left of POA, which was a 'Military 6 O'clock' hold on the Target central Orange dot. This took me about 4 hours of "Single Shot Shooting" as I still do not have any Magazine made to Feed this pistol.
At about 1600 hours I gave up, packed up, and Left the Range shivering still until about half way Home. It seems my Aged Southern California body is not as cold resistant as I once was, especially in intermittent drizzling rain and Blustery times.
But I DID Have FUN!
Chev. William

JSnover
02-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice folks . All I could find after work today was Win white box at wallymart for 24 bucks I passed as I can mail order 2 boxes of euro made stuff almost as cheap . As far as reloading for it , I'm gonna pass I opened up the box at wallymart and seen how small those cases are . Between my barely functioning pudgy fingers and my shooting area being very grassy and brass loss will be very high don't really seem like it be worth the trouble for me . Again thanks

Tim
I had the same thought when I bought my Tomcat in .32acp; too small for my stubby, half-numb fingertips. You won't find a lot of ammo at the stores but I've always found it at gun shows. Domestic, S&B, Fiocchi... Maybe only a box here and a box there but at the larger venues I can easily pick up 8-10 boxes.

Chev. William
02-19-2019, 11:50 AM
Mail Order is now almost extinct in California as ALL AMMO purchases now Must, by Laws, pass through a State Licensed Ammo dealer or a FFL Gun Dealer 'Brick and Mortar Shop' after completing a NICBCS Background Check to verify I am legally Allowed to buy Ammo.
My Local Gun Shop now charges for The 'Privilege' of shipping Mail Order ammo To him and then going through the NICBCS process to pick it up.
A Box of Fiocchi .25ACP that was on sale at ~$15.00 cost me ~$22.00 now and "Outdoor Limited" Will NOT sell to California even if Shipped to a Licensed Dealer EXCEPR via their Wholesale Process newly In Place.
I used to buy 'PPU' .25ACP from "Outdoor Limited" in Case lots at ~$263.00 a Case of 1000 rounds, retail. Sadly, not any more.

At least so far, I can still buy Components and 'Load My Own'.

Chev. William