PDA

View Full Version : Gloolits ???? Calling the NAGS

357maximum
09-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Ok. Had some free time at work and casted up a bunch of Lee TL/TC 9mm gloolits. I enlarged the flash hole to 3/32" (only bit I have available right this instant) in some 38spcl brass and primed them. A few of us were having big fun blazing away at some menacing cardboard boxes out back. but

The primers are occassionally backing out enough to tie up the gun's cylinder in my smith 60-15....what size drill bit do I need? I know I have seen the answer to this question but early onset CRS has displaced the data from my memory banks, and a quick search did not go so good.....what size bit do I need to use?

thanks
Michael

Jim
09-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Max, it's 5:31 AM and I don't have my notes in front of me. However, several gluliteers have reported that a 1/8" is plenty good 'nuf. You can go as large as primer diameter minus 100 thou.
DON'T FORGET!! These cases are now dedicated to gluelits only! And remember to lube your gluelits with a slight touch of grease before loading. Cleaning hot glue out of the barrel is a real PITA !

357maximum
09-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Max, it's 5:31 AM and I don't have my notes in front of me. However, several gluliteers have reported that a 1/8" is plenty good 'nuf. You can go as large as primer diameter minus 100 thou. THANK YOU...I WILL TRY THAT TONIGHT/NOW

DON'T FORGET!! These cases are now dedicated to gluelits only! And remember to lube your gluelits with a slight touch of grease before loading. Cleaning hot glue out of the barrel is a real PITA !

I lubed them all lightly with pure lanolin..seemed to work good...all cases have a file notch and a black case head. I actually used all my old mil spec cases for this project...I hate surprises that cause steel parts to whirl in my general direction.

I would assume that my eds red with acetone would make short work out of any fouling...it worked good the last time I filled my barrel with plastic particulates.[smilie=1: from an ill conceived thought/project.

If corporate only knew what happens at night:twisted: oooh boy actually I am calling it "low impact training" for the new guy that has not alot of gun experience and has his CPL class soon...so I would actually likely be okay if corporate knew...but I am not willing to make that gamble. I kow my immediate boss is okay with it...he joined in the festivities yesterday morning. When I got home this morning I took a couple of aerial shots with them...I need to go to a longer gloolit I think.....it got a little wild looking after they traveled 30 feet or so into the air. Them gloolits look mighty kewllllllll when the sun hits em just right:drinks: while they are in flight.:drinks:

I am going to try the lee C-358-180 custom mold next...these 9mm gloolits might be just a tad too light for the lil smiths twist. How about an RCBS 148 WC...I will try that also...wish I had brought the molds with me darnit...might even try a 360-220 custom......this is big fun..thanks NAGS.

missionary5155
09-20-2008, 06:28 AM
And now we have the PERFECT spider load ! The only problem is the skid mark on the wall. Has not broke any dishes or windows yet.

Jim
09-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Max,
You oughta have about 19 thousand .35 caliber rifle molds layin' around. Cast up a few gluelits in one of your larger .35 caliber molds and try that. You might have to hand load the round in the chamber if you're shootin' from a 9MM, but with a magnum primer, you can have a lotta fun!

Missionary,
Depending on the size/weight of your gluelit and angle of impact, a gluelit MOST CERTAINLY will take out a window.

The military identifies standard bullets as "ball" loads because they carried the word over from the 1700s. Gluelits, more so than cast boolits, require lubrication for loading into the cases as well as the ride down the bore.
MAKE SURE YOU GREASE YOUR BALLS.[smilie=1:

:Fire:-----------------------------------------------------------x---o