PDA

View Full Version : ruger single six, love it...hate it?

acsteve
09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Know this is a bit off of the cast focus here but, should I get one?

Mumblypeg
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
IMO If you can find an old model, get it! They are great little guns. I plan on keeping mine untill I die.

jhrosier
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Mine is never far away. I couldn't begin to guess how many bricks of ammo it has seen over the years.:-D

http://images14.fotki.com/v255/photos/5/590147/2786028/SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

Best hundred bucks I ever spent.

Jack

kingstrider
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I had a convertible model with both cylinders. It was okay but at the time I also had a Colt New Frontier and S&W Model 18 in .22LR which were more fun to take to the range. I wound up trading the Ruger off but I would buy another if the price were right.

2 dogs
09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
The Ruger Single Six is one of my absolute most favorite platforms.....I have 22's, 22 mags, 32 mags, and a custom 327 Federal.

Morgan Astorbilt
09-19-2008, 01:58 AM
I agree with Mumblypeg. If you can get an old 'Three screw" model which hasn't been sent back for retrofitting the new "safer" lockwork, it's worth at least a $100 premium. Here's mine, it's all steel, since I replaced the aluminum grip frame with a steel Old Army one. Bought the as-cast in the white frame from Brownells, and fitted and blued it myself (Brownells Oxpho Blue). Those are genuine Sambar stag grips. The extra cylinder is .22 mag. This gun has taken many a copperhead.

Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/SS3.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/SS2.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/SS1.jpg

Dale53
09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I traded for my first Ruger in the late fifties. I wanted a Model 29 S&W .44 magnum. However, at that time they were being sold WAY above suggested list (about double) as Smith could not make them fast enough. I ended up with a Ruger Super Black Hawk. The previous owner had been a "fast draw" participant. The blue was worn and the firing pin and bushing had to be replaced (a simple operation that I performed). That turned out to be the most accurate .44 Magnum at my local gun club (proved on the Ransom Rest). I had to do a trigger job, but since that time it has shot tens of thousands of full house .44 magnums with nary a missed beat. I still have it ( under 5000 serial number). It is a superb hand gun. Since then there have been other Rugers even tho' I am a Smith fan and have much more disposable income than in the early days.

Ruger represents excellent value. Just get a trigger job and enjoy good handgunning with ANY version of the single action Ruger.

Dale53

Bodydoc447
09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I have loved the single six since I was a kid and my dad taught me to shoot with his 5 1/2 inch old model. I have a 5 1/2 inch for myself in .22LR/WMR and bought an anniversary model for each of my sons when they came out (the guns not my boys). My wife has a pair of them in .32 Mag for CAS and I finally found one with adjustable sights in .32 Mag for me. You just can't do better for the money than a single six. The only one I've ever heard of being worn out was my brother's. He just shot it and shot it for years and years. And it is still pretty tight and functional but has a significant flame cut in the frame.
Doc

9.3X62AL
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Just like Ruger 10/22s, I've owned several Ruger Single-Sixes--and they tend to find their way into the hands of daughters and nephews in short order. I consider them a high-quality, affordable, reasonably accurate platform right outta the box. A little trigger work or maybe an 11* forcing cone recut might tidy things up, but I agree wholeheartedly with Dale 53's observations on the entire Ruger single-action revolver lineup.

Thumbcocker
09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
My Bisley .22 will give my K-22 a run for it's money and with bulk remington hvhp's. Several cocky squirrels have learned that it will shoot. I love it and it ain't for sale. I can't speak about the convertibles as I have no experience with them.

FWIW

timkelley
09-19-2008, 09:17 PM
If you like Blackhawks at all, a Single Six is a must. I had a 45/8 blue one and I really liked it except I wished for a longer barrel. A friend saw it and he wanted a shorter barrel, we traded and I now have a 61/2 stainless. Perfect for me.

shooting on a shoestring
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
ACSteve: Yep get one, then don't get rid of it. I traded off my first one in my Junior High School days. I regretted it. I finally got another about 20 odd years ago, a convertable. It shoots much better than I can. The .22 Magnums are a bit expensive, but a real hoot to shoot. The LRs are a great way to learn good shooting.

I don't know anyone who is a decent shot that doesn't have a pet Single Six.

That reminds me, I haven't fed mine in a while. Believe I'll take care of that chore this weekend.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
We have a Pair of unconverted 3 screw Convertibles, 22LR/22Mag. Love them, Great for practicing for SASS.

Sam & Katie :-D

skin'erback
09-21-2008, 12:20 AM
I just got one of these. should have bought one years ago,same thing that I said after getting my SBH. Shoots very well with 22 mags, not so good with 22 lr. ( actually it is good enough for bunnies at the ranges bunnies should be shot with a pistol). Just not as accurate as the SBH. I'll never sell this one and may add a few more. Should be just the ticket for controlling varmits around the chicken coop. BTW, mine is a new model. don't let the hype of the three screw stop you from getting one or more of these. :Fire:

:castmine:

acsteve
09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
sounds like I should make a trip to the shop and order a 51/5" stainless single six, although Morgan's blue with stag grips looks great.

JDFuchs
09-21-2008, 11:17 PM
My first revolver is a 32 H&R I picked up just a few months ago. Its my only handgun that always shoots better then I do.

I have to ask why is the old model better then the new or the old that's been converted?

Morgan Astorbilt
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks, acsteve,
JD, You'd have to handle both to compare the trigger pulls, not to mention the free wheeling cylinder on he "new" model, that makes it a PITA to load and unload. (Unless they've corrected this deficiency).
Morgan

EDK
09-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I've got a stainless 6.5 inch stainless super single six with a HUNTER grip frame and a 6.5 inch BISLEY. They are both great....I'd cheerfully replace them with the same gun except possibly a 5.5 inch barrel. A trigger job and possibly a MILLET rear sight is all they need...I got used to BOMARS on 45 Autos and the excellent BOWEN rear sight on several big bore RUGERS.

A 22 LR RUGER Single Six or target sighted 22 Auto are two of the best firearms bargains available...and will last a lifetime. The only other 22s I would like to own are a pair of SMITH & WESSON 617s with 5 or 6 inch barrels...and they're almost twice the price of the equally good RUGERS!

:cbpour::redneck:

freedom475
09-22-2008, 12:39 AM
This is the most useful gun you can own.

I have a 9 1/2 in barrel on mine its a 22lr/mag, only shot a few mags through it as the LR seems to be quite enough. It has taken a lot of game. Coyotes at 100yrds have no chance.

The 9 1/2 is pretty long but I've carried it so many miles that I had to replace the ejector rod housing...the holster wore the aluminum off the end clear to the screw.

Morgan Astorbilt
09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Were you able to get a steel housing? The original style Single Six I posted those photos of, I purchased used, it only had an aluminum grip frame, the rest of the gun was steel. Which ones had aluminum housings, and which steel? I know old Blackhawks had aluminum housings.
Morgan

enfieldphile
09-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I got lucky, found a Single Six Combo w/ box, booklet and original bill-of-sale for $249.00! I later found a set of used Ruger Grips @ a gun show for $10.00

An excellet shooter.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/000_0021.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/000_0022.jpg

skin'erback
09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Gotta love those stag grips. stainless makes sense, also. I've always been a blued steel and walnut kinda guy but am warming up to those new stainless jobs. I shot a 5 1/2 SBH stainless that was a real beauty and handy to boot.

freedom475
09-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Were you able to get a steel housing? The original style Single Six I posted those photos of, I purchased used, it only had an aluminum grip frame, the rest of the gun was steel. Which ones had aluminum housings, and which steel? I know old Blackhawks had aluminum housings.
Morgan

Yes Morgan, Ruger offers replacement ejector housings in steel or aluminum, the steel is just more expensive.

ktw
09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I used to have a 22lr/22mag convertible (purchased used, first handgun). I wasn't a huge fan. I had (still have) a MkI auto that would shoot much better. I traded off the Single Six.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the Single Six 32 H&R Mags. This one I really like.

-ktw

acsteve
09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
How do you find the 32 mag to being terms of economy in terms of reloading and do you find it to be a usefull caliber? thanks

Dale53
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I bought a Ruger Single Six in .32 Mag when they first hit the streets (actually, the gun shows:mrgreen:). I opted for the 4 5/8" barrel while my shooting buddy opted for the 6.5" barrel. I quickly discovered that I could shoot as good with the short barrel but the longer barrel was easier to shoot well.

Shortly after, the S&W 631 hit the streets in .32 Mag, then my sweetheart of a revolver the S&W 16-4 (6" barrel) chambered in .32 H&r Mag.

Federal was the only supplier of .32 H&R cases. Just as I "got in the game" and before I could lay in a supply of cases, Federal quit selling ANY components to customers GR_R_R_R!![smilie=b: I have still not forgiven Federal for that. Further, trying to buy factory ammo and use the cases was a BUST. The Federal .32 H&R brass was junk. I would lose two to four cases with every box of fifty loaded from splits. On the other hand, the .32 S&W L cases would last well over twenty reloads.

At any rate, I had several revolvers in hand but no cases. A commercial loader friend of mine came to my rescue. He had several thousand "first nighters" in .32 S&W Long. I bought a couple of thousand cases from him and tried them out with both Hollow base wadcutters and semi wadcutters. I quickly got set up to cast and load Lee Wadcutters (the mould has since been dropped by Lee). The Lees worked quite well and frankly, since I envisioned the .32 as a target load, the shorter .32 S&W L cases worked just fine. I was happy, happy, happy!

Starline, after a couple of years, started to make .32 H&R Cases. So, now I have full choice of both S&W L cases and .32 H&R cases. I still find myself loading mostly the shorter cases.

I cast my own bullets. The presently available RCBS 98 gr SWC is an excellent bullet in ALL respects (except it is only available in a two cavity mould). I went in on a Group Buy six cavity mould for a 100 gr Keith and that is now my "standard" for this caliber.

Hornady makes a good swaged HBWC and a SWC (both 90 grs) and both of these work well. Speers makes a HBWC in .32 also. These bullets can be bought in bulk for some savings. When I find a good price, I often stock up. I have only loaded these at target velocities or slightly faster. Swaged bullets are not known to take to high velocities as they are so soft that the start leading much above "standard" velocity.

When I cast my own bullets, I can load these cartridges for less than $2.00 per box. As an example, you can get nearly 3500 loads from a one lb can of Bullseye Powder (at 2.0 grs per load). The .32 takes less powder and less lead than nearly any other centerfire cartridge.

From a good revolver (I have two Smith's and one Ruger SP101 at this writing) it is no great trick to get groups from 1.0"-1.5" at 25 yards. They are terrific edible small game guns and you will find the .32 is a considerably better cartridge on small game than the .22 rimfire.

Dale53

ktw
09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
How do you find the 32 mag to being terms of economy in terms of reloading and do you find it to be a usefull caliber? thanks

Dale53 covered it pretty well.

You can't compete on price with bulk-pack 22lr. You can beat the price on premium 22 ammo. What I like about the 32 is that it gives you more control over ammo quality, at a reasonable price compared to 22lr ammo.

-ktw

Navahojoe
09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I have the Single Six in s/s, adj sights, bought new a few years back, with both cylinders and also the Single Six in .32 H&R Mag, fixed sights, blued, birds head grip. Love both with equal passion. and, NOPE, they are NOT for sale.
regards,
NavahoJoe