PDA

View Full Version : Mink oil for case lube.

WILCO
07-09-2018, 11:21 AM
While responding to an earlier thread, it dawned on me that I've been using the same tub of mink oil to lube my cases for more than twenty years.
I'm not a high volume reloader, but still, just a dab will do you. [smilie=1:

mdi
07-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I got a 4 oz. jar about 16 years ago and used very little for case lube as 95% of my reloading was handgun ammo. When I started reloading 308 and 30-06 I began using it again and still have 1/2 a jar 6 years later...

bruce drake
07-09-2018, 12:48 PM
I started using Mink oil more than a decade ago. I also lube every rifle case since its so easy to apply by fingers and I've not had a stuck case since. 20-30 minutes in the tumbler after sizing and they are all cleaned up also.

bangerjim
07-09-2018, 01:06 PM
That tub will last a long time! I am still on the same one.

Like BrilleCreme............."a little dab'l do 'ya!"

banger

mdi
07-09-2018, 01:29 PM
I'll bet not a lot of fellers remember Brylcreem's "a little dab'll do ya"...

Grmps
07-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Frog Lube works and I enjoy the smell

Green Frog
07-09-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Mink Oil is pretty much the same as Lanolin (which is wool oil in its commercially available form) and since lanolin works so well for case lubing, I'm not surprised that Mink Oil does as well. I use a dash of Mink Oil in my super secret bullet lube I used to make for schuetzen "Frog Guano."

Froggie

bangerjim
07-09-2018, 03:25 PM
I'll bet not a lot of fellers remember Brylcreem's "a little dab'll do ya"...

A little dab’ll do ‘ya!
Use more, only if you dare
But watch out, the gals will all persue ‘ya
The love to get their fingers in you hair.

Never understood why women would like to feel greasy hair!!!!!! Guess it was better than butch wax!!

And yes..........I am old!

We did our homework on the back of the coal shovel......and we LIKED it! HA.....ha!

Bangerjim

trapper9260
07-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Dose anyone know if the mink oil is the same or about the same as Unique put out by Horandy . Why I ask is that you look at the use of both it is just about the same and also smell the same.The only think that mink oil dose not say is for case lube.

abunaitoo
07-10-2018, 04:12 AM
I stopped using Imperial case lube long ago.
Kiwi Mink oil was the same thing. Worked the same. Was less half the cost for twice the amount.
Something happened, and Kiwi has to stop making it.
On suggestions from them, I started using their Shoe conditioner.
Works well, but not as good as the mink oil they had.
Big til last a long time, so I don't need any for a while.
I've seen Mink oil for sale on Amazon.
May give it a try later.

winelover
07-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Butch Wax...............now we are talking old. A must for flat tops.

Winelover

Lloyd Smale
07-10-2018, 07:17 AM
bought a 3lb tub of lanolin many years ago. I still use it today. It would probably would last a lifetime if I didn't use a good amount of it to make felix lube. I think I paid 20 bucks for it on ebay. Same thing that you buy in that tiny tin of imperial sizing wax. When I load 5.56 I put a couple hundred cases in a shoe box, put a little dab of it in the palm of my hand and work my hands through the box of brass. Never have had a single case stuck in a die doing it like that. Only problem that ever occurs is if you use to much it takes a bit longer to tumble off.

MyFlatline
07-10-2018, 04:19 PM
I started using Mink oil after a Aussie mentioned the import costs for case lube, me being cheap, had to try it, have never looked back. Still on the same tin.

As for Butch wax and BrylCreem, I had my share ran thu my hair..

W.R.Buchanan
07-13-2018, 04:30 PM
You guys do know that just about anything that is slippery or greasy will work,,, right?

Nothing magic here just basic lubrication.

I personally like the Dillon stuff which is lanolin mixed with alcohol which makes it migrate around the brass.

Randy

john.k
07-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Years ago ,many used neatsfoot oil as a case lube for reforming brass...........Ive also seen suggestions for STP engine oil traetment......Some years ago i was offered 3 drums of neatsfoot oil free.if I took it away straight away....40 gallon drums,so I passed.

trapper9260
07-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Years ago ,many used neatsfoot oil as a case lube for reforming brass...........Ive also seen suggestions for STP engine oil traetment......Some years ago i was offered 3 drums of neatsfoot oil free.if I took it away straight away....40 gallon drums,so I passed.

I use that neatsfoot oil for when I tan some skins or make some leather . But that is alot to handle.

leadhead
07-14-2018, 11:44 AM
I use something called Bag Balm. It's what farmers use on cows utters.
It must have lanolin in it and is really good on your hands. I just rub
some on my hands and roll the brass between them. A can will last you
for a very long time....can't remember what I paid for it....It's been awhile.
Denny

Wayne Smith
07-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Bag Balm here too, got mine from the Vermont Country Store. It's a combination of oils and lanolin and an antibiotic.

MyFlatline
07-14-2018, 08:45 PM
You guys do know that just about anything that is slippery or greasy will work,,, right?

Nothing magic here just basic lubrication.

I personally like the Dillon stuff which is lanolin mixed with alcohol which makes it migrate around the brass.

Randy

I liked the Hornady stuff too but the price was more than this cheap SOB liked.. A tin of Mink oil lasts forever..

Grmps
07-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Vermont's Original Bag Balm Animal Ointment, 8 oz. Tin, For Dry, Chapped Skin Conditions, Lanolin-Based, Helps Keep Skin Smooth and Soft
by Bag Balm
$9.19 ($1.15/Ounce)

NOW Solutions Lanolin Pure, 7-Ounce
by NOW Foods
$9.94 ($1.42/Fl Oz)

BTW has anyone tried pure lanolin paste?

Wayne Smith
07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Vermont's Original Bag Balm Animal Ointment, 8 oz. Tin, For Dry, Chapped Skin Conditions, Lanolin-Based, Helps Keep Skin Smooth and Soft
by Bag Balm
$9.19 ($1.15/Ounce)

NOW Solutions Lanolin Pure, 7-Ounce
by NOW Foods
$9.94 ($1.42/Fl Oz)

yes, it is way too thick - almost a hard wax like substance. Bag Balm is much easier.

3AXBAT
07-17-2018, 11:16 PM
This is mink oil from the Kiwi shoe polish guys? How do clean it off after sizing?

bedbugbilly
07-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Brillcream . . . . Butch Wax . . . . Flat tops! Just think, if we had all those things now like we did when we were kids, all we'd have to do is roll the casing across our head . . . wouldn't need a lube pad . . . and then re-size. Of coursx we would need the hair we had back then . . . for me, rolling a casing across my head now to lube it would find some bare spots on top where there wasn't any hair to hold the lube! LOL

Grmps
07-19-2018, 03:17 PM
I find with the harder wax it's easier for me to put less on. I don't get so much on my finger when I dap the lube.

fiberoptik
07-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Brillcream . . . . Butch Wax . . . . Flat tops! Just think, if we had all those things now like we did when we were kids, all we'd have to do is roll the casing across our head . . . wouldn't need a lube pad . . . and then re-size. Of coursx we would need the hair we had back then . . . for me, rolling a casing across my head now to lube it would find some bare spots on top where there wasn't any hair to hold the lube! LOL

I miss flattops. Hell I miss hair period!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john.k
07-20-2018, 12:47 AM
Neatsfoot oil was an old favorite for case forming ,back in the 60s......another favorite was STP engine oil treatment........But nowdays, nothin works any good less it comes in a 2oz bottle for $20.

greenjoytj
07-20-2018, 09:26 PM

That would be too sticky to work with, but it would work. So would unsalted bacon grease.....mmmm bacon.

fiberoptik
07-21-2018, 01:10 AM
That would be too sticky to work with, but it would work. So would unsalted bacon grease.....mmmm bacon.

No, not for case lube; muzzleloader lube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beemer
07-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Dose anyone know if the mink oil is the same or about the same as Unique put out by Horandy . Why I ask is that you look at the use of both it is just about the same and also smell the same.The only think that mink oil dose not say is for case lube.

I don't know what is in Unique either but I have some beef tallow that my Dad rendered out in the 70's and it smells looks the same also. The beef tallow is a lot stiffer than Unique. I tried both for ML patches but tallow is to thick.

OldBearHair
07-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Bag Balm here too, got mine from the Vermont Country Store. It's a combination of oils and lanolin and an antibiotic. The antibiotic is for when you barely graze an animal it helps with healing faster. LOL
Going back all those years, do you remember " Fitch's Rose Hair Oil " It would slide right down your forehead into the eyes by 10 pm. I remember as a young person, thinking it would be better not having dandruff when I went bald......(Is that a bald wish?) Well it hasn't happened yet. My lady barber does a lot of running her fingers through my hair. heh, heh, heh

Wayne Smith
07-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Actually the antibiotic is there for the cow's udder and my hands, both!