PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 357 Cowboy-- question on worth?

rockrat
07-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Thinking of parting with mine. Maybe 200 rounds of boolits down the tube. Gun show coming up next month and thinking of putting it on my table and wondering what the thing might be worth. Bought it new and think I still have the box. Any help appreciated.

Have a stainless '92 obfm I bought from Navy Arms years ago, so won't be without a 357 lever!!

Ninety Caliber
07-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Thinking of parting with mine. Maybe 200 rounds of boolits down the tube. Gun show coming up next month and thinking of putting it on my table and wondering what the thing might be worth. Bought it new and think I still have the box. Any help appreciated.

Have a stainless '92 obfm I bought from Navy Arms years ago, so won't be without a 357 lever!!

If it’s nice,SASS shooters will pay $1000 if stock, more if it’s short stroked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
07-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Marlins don't short stroke like Winchester 73's and 66's do. As far as I know, there's only one person doing short strokes on Marlins, and it's quite expensive, so in most likelihood, it's stock.

I paid $500 for my 1894 CB Carbine about 5 years ago, and it had an action job, and I paid $800 for my 1894 CB Rifle (24" barrel) last year, if that gives you any idea of value. The Carbine had been used quite a bit, and I've put a lot of use on it since I bought it, and the rifle was new, with some preliminary trigger and action work done on it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Jeff Michel
07-09-2018, 04:44 PM
I picked up a 20" Cowboy couple months ago, new in the box, 850.00.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Pre safety? Pre Remington? Those are two important things now when it comes to Marlins.

SASS has been dominated by 66/73s for a while now so I wouldn’t expect a lot Cowboy action shooters to be real excited about a Marlin 94 unless it has had some serious work done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
07-09-2018, 11:54 PM
I know dozens of SASS shooters who use Marlins, so that market is still viable. The recent scarcity of Marlin rifles has driven the prices up, so I'm betting it will sell pretty quickly at the gun show.

I know several people who are looking for a Marlin CB right now, and haven't been able to locate one that the seller didn't want their first borne for it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jmort
07-10-2018, 12:03 AM
Pre safety? Pre Remington? Those are two important things now when it comes to Marlins.

SASS has been dominated by 66/73s for a while now so I wouldn’t expect a lot Cowboy action shooters to be real excited about a Marlin 94 unless it has had some serious work done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. The best are using short stroked 73s
You can run a Marlin, but that is never a first choice.

cheapthrills
07-10-2018, 11:09 AM
I disagree to a point about Marlin cowboys not being first choice for SASS shooters. It is true that top level shooters are using 73 clones, but rarely will a shooter out shoot a Marlin. And they are incredibly durable. I have shot cowboy for 20 years or so and am still using my first Marlin cowboy, and it continues to function as well as I can. The market on that gun is probably a thousand dollars, if it a JM. I currently place not as great a premium on the JM stamp as I've found a number of issues inside these guns, none so far insurmountable, but extra work to overcome. Look at GB prices before you sell yourself short. Thanks for the forum.

rockrat
07-12-2018, 08:28 PM
thanks for all the info. Yes, its a JM gun

Stan_TN
07-14-2018, 11:44 PM
Marlin 357 JM stamped - yes any cowboy shooter would love one. I am one of those cowboy shooters whom just enjoys the game. I have a slicked up 73, Rossi 92 and two Marlins - both JM and all rifles in 45 Colt. I just like to run different things from time to time. I will never be the fastest, but I think I have the most fun shooting with some great people. Bottom line 357 would be $700 to just anyone and could gather $1000 easily to a cowboy shooter. Yes, most cowboy shooters want both 73 and Marlin if they can afford it.

jmort
07-14-2018, 11:57 PM
Just saw a really really nice JM .357 at the Gun store marked at $1,100
Decided to limit myself to the .45 Colt Blackhawk I had ordered
Off it goes to get tuned
That is just too much $$$
At that point getting a Winchester 92 is a no brainer. $877
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/53754/winchester_guns_534177137_1892_carbine_lever_357_m agnum_20_10+1_walnut_stk_blued?cpath=

gundownunder
07-19-2018, 08:35 PM
I use mine a lot and wouldn't let it go.
Prices would be affected by whether it's JM stamped, 20" or 24"
I bought my JM stamped 20" here in OZ 10 years ago for $1400 new. Now I see them selling used for $1800.
I don't think I've ever seen a 24" on the used lists so I guess the blokes that own those just don't let them go at any price.
YMMV as you aren't in the land of OZ.