PDA

View Full Version : lino type machine pot?

ddykstra
07-08-2018, 06:56 PM
recently bought linotype smelting pot.only came with burner and no controls.any ideas on what to do.

fivegunner
07-08-2018, 08:41 PM
A picture or two would help .

Grmps
07-08-2018, 08:46 PM
an easy way to do pictures http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

Pardini
07-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Get a PID.

bangerjim
07-08-2018, 11:34 PM
Yes.....pictures please. Our crystal balls are cloudy of late!

Banger

bangerjim
07-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Get a PID.

Putting a digital PID controller on a gas-fired burner device is a bit tricky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do it all the time for industral furnace installations but they have plant air to run the valves to control the gas flows.

Banger

dragon813gt
07-09-2018, 05:31 AM
You don’t need air. JCI makes a simple controller w/ a 0-10 V or 4-20mA output. But on top of that you need a regular gas valve, thermocouple, corresponding transformers, butterfly valve and modulating actuator. It’s not going to have a PID loop w/ this setup as the “magic” is in the JCI controller and it’s just trying to maintain the set temp. It’s quite a bit of money if you want to put together a modulating gas burner setup.

bangerjim
07-09-2018, 08:20 AM
You don’t need air. JCI makes a simple controller w/ a 0-10 V or 4-20mA output. But on top of that you need a regular gas valve, thermocouple, corresponding transformers, butterfly valve and modulating actuator. It’s not going to have a PID loop w/ this setup as the “magic” is in the JCI controller and it’s just trying to maintain the set temp. It’s quite a bit of money if you want to put together a modulating gas burner setup.

Most industrial gas control systems are pneumatic. Some are electric. (pneumatic meets the fire and safety codes a lot easier than electrics!) Either way you are spending waaaaay too much money for all the bits-n-pieces. I have them all for free and I do not do it!

I know what it takes to do temp control right..........I design and sell them.

bangerjim

mdi
07-09-2018, 01:48 PM
"Linotype melting pot"? Is the unit a part of a linotype type setting machine? I operated one during my first year of college circa. 1964, and my memory fails me. I just hung ingots on a hook and chain and fed the ingot into a pot built into the back of the machine...

Mal Paso
07-10-2018, 05:28 PM
"Linotype melting pot"? Is the unit a part of a linotype type setting machine? I operated one during my first year of college circa. 1964, and my memory fails me. I just hung ingots on a hook and chain and fed the ingot into a pot built into the back of the machine...

I think the furnace in question was for recycling type slugs. The Linotype Machines had an electric pot and an electric motor and if I remember right plugged into a 120v outlet. The linotype ingots (pigs) had ears that hooked onto the chainfall that kept the casting pot full. I vaguely remember the letterpressmen melting the old slugs down and casting new ingots out back in the alley.

ReloaderFred
07-10-2018, 05:33 PM
I have one of the old linotype machines ingot molds. The ingots weigh right around 22 pounds or so, depending on alloy...

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mal Paso
07-10-2018, 07:54 PM
There was no good way other than those ingots to feed the pot so I think most shops had molds and a "smelting furnace". I remember a pressman moaning. He ordered a pallet of linotype ingots rather than recycling slugs and the price of lino had gone to 27 cents a pound. "Can you believe it, 27 cents a pound?"

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-11-2018, 01:35 AM
I think the furnace in question was for recycling type slugs. The Linotype Machines had an electric pot and an electric motor and if I remember right plugged into a 120v outlet. The linotype ingots (pigs) had ears that hooked onto the chainfall that kept the casting pot full. I vaguely remember the letterpressmen melting the old slugs down and casting new ingots out back in the alley.
This is what I think also.

Glencoe use to have two newspapers. One is still alive, the other one ended a few years after the daughter (of the original owner) passed away at 90+ years old. Anyway, they had a complete linotype setup and I got a tour when the Paper had a open house with the new owner. The linotype machine had a electric pot on the machine (for pouring lines) and a large smelter in the back room to make heavy ingots from the used lines (there was three 55 gallon barrels full of lines). I don't recall if the large smelter was gas or electric?

mdi
07-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Yep I remember much the same. I'd catch Heck if I let the pot run dry. Perhaps the OP is just melting linotype, calling his equipment "linotype machine pot"?

ReloaderFred
07-11-2018, 11:36 AM
When I was in college, I worked in the mail room of a moderate size newspaper, and the type setters were a short distance away from our shop. It was always hot in there, and noisy, but so was the mail room, where the papers came off the press. I once mentioned to one of the type setters that my Dad had a small boat and needed an anchor. When I left work that night, there were two ingots in the passenger's side floorboard of my car.

Nobody locked their cars in those days........