PDA

View Full Version : Powder Valley’s new website

dragon813gt
07-08-2018, 09:54 AM
I am not a fan. Their old one was severely limited. But I liked the simple list format where you could view everything at once. Saved a lot of time. The new site is like every other retailer where it seems designed to keep you looking longer. I was ready to buy some bullets but gave up. They weren’t showing any bulk boxes of Hornady at all. While smaller counts were shown as out of stock. I realize why they upgraded. But I hate sites that put looks over function.

Biggin
07-08-2018, 10:43 AM
+1agreed

shootmore
07-08-2018, 10:47 AM
The more advanced all this technology gets the more I find I am not a fan of it. I am a big believer in the kiss (keep it simple stupid) method but that way of doing business seems to be vanishing.

Wally
07-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I am not a fan. Their old one was severely limited. But I liked the simple list format where you could view everything at once. Saved a lot of time. The new site is like every other retailer where it seems designed to keep you looking longer. I was ready to buy some bullets but gave up. They weren’t showing any bulk boxes of Hornady at all. While smaller counts were shown as out of stock. I realize why they upgraded. But I hate sites that put looks over function.

I agree with you...the old one was much. much better!!!!!!

shooter93
07-08-2018, 08:12 PM
I haven't been there yet but I will check it out. I'm an analog guy trapped in a digital world though......smiles.

Kevinakaq
07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Hate the new site as well. Just plain hard to check stock etc...

Shingle
07-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Me too I loved the all in one style of the old one. Reminds me of brownells too complicated I wont use either one again.

Kevinakaq
07-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Forwarded a link to this thread to powdervalley customer service...

Thin Man
07-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Wanna see complicated? Go over to Midway and ask them if they have any (fill in the blank). You will get 7 pages of similar (or not) responses and never ever learn if they carry what you are trying to find. If they are my last resort for shopping I will call them, but won't try to locate anything on their web page.

dale2242
07-09-2018, 08:21 AM
I am 76 years old and basically computer illiterate and do not find the site difficult at all...dale

Beagle333
07-09-2018, 08:36 AM
I liked it all on one page. It was easier to see what was in stock.

dragon813gt
07-09-2018, 06:17 PM
I am 76 years old and basically computer illiterate and do not find the site difficult at all...dale

I did not say it was difficult. I was pointing out that you now have to spend more time to find you want. I found that when I opened up a particular bullet style that was in stock it gave me an option for quantity. Not all of the quantities were in stock. On their old site a simple look at the list told you which quantities are in stock.

And let’s be honest here. You don’t go to a site like PV to find information about a product. If you want powder information you go to the manufacturer. Same for the bullets. You don’t need to see a pic of the powder bottle or box of bullets. Graphic heavy shopping carts like that drive me crazy. And this is coming from someone that’s younger, by decades, then most people here. K.I.S.S. is a principle that’s lost when it comes to tech as a whole.

There was a lot to be said about their old site. Click powder, click brand, and magically there was a list w/ every type and quantity that they had available. Same goes for bullets. Nothing more than this type of setup is needed for ordering the products they sell.

MUSTANG
07-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Not a fan of the New Powder Valley Web Site. Unfortunately; most web sites are the result of younger developers (teens to 30's) who are more interested in "APPEARANCE", or "Isn't this Cool"; and have forgotten about functionality of the Web Page and the fact that someone came there to Shop & Buy.

djgoings
07-09-2018, 07:49 PM
I like the new site, especially how you can check inventory levels.

dragon813gt
07-09-2018, 09:28 PM
I like the new site, especially how you can check inventory levels.

Just remember that it’s garbage in, garbage out. Not saying this is the case w/ the site. But if someone inputs the wrong stock about the number showing on the site doesn’t matter. I do like the feature. But I’ve been burnt by it on more than one occasion on/ other sites.

dale2242
07-10-2018, 07:55 AM
I will agree that the pictures aren`t necessary .
Most of us know what a can of powder or a box of primers look like.
I assume the web designers think the pics help sell the product....dale

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Thank You! Now I know that I am not alone. I really miss the old days when paper catalogs were the norm.Robert

douglasskid
07-10-2018, 02:39 PM
I'm glad to see others not liking the site!!!

HangFireW8
07-10-2018, 11:02 PM
One by one I see click useful sites get turned into touch friendly useless sites. Tablets are a huge market reality and young people are visually oriented and often barely literate.

At some point someone should ask, is a barely literate person really my target market? Does the large sales of new tablets belie the large number of unretired laptops? But no, web designers can only quote browser adoption trends, web design fads and SEO stats.

SOFMatchstaff
07-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Its useless compared to the old listings, I want to see an inventory and prices , make a comparison and get the heck back to my day. Wont be wasting any time on it in the future..

JimB..
07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
We’re a bunch of crotchety old men, nobody expects us to like change. That said, i’m Adjusting but so far nothing about the new site offends me.

500Linebaughbuck
07-11-2018, 01:26 PM
i'm with JimB.

Walks
07-11-2018, 01:45 PM
I can't use my tablet for shopping. Everything is TOO small. I have to wheel into the den & use the desktop.

You guys are right about too much junk on the pages.
Some Manufacturers websites are even worse.
RCBS has pictures for about half their molds, and no pictures for special order molds.
SAECO mold diagrams are so poor you can't even read the numbers.
How do you buy a mold if you can't see what the bullet looks like.
I applaud the New Mold Makers. They all put out excellent diagrams. Just one reason why my last two mold purchases have been from N.O.E. & ACCURATE .

Four-Sixty
07-12-2018, 06:42 AM
I too am disappointed in the web layout for powder valley. Keep it simple please!

lightman
07-13-2018, 07:07 PM
I just now looked at it. Gotta admit I liked the old one better. Guess we'll get used to it.

bedbugbilly
07-14-2018, 08:24 AM
simple = quicker to find = faster transaction = happier customer = returning customer

glitz and glitter = harder to locate needed item = more time wasted = frustration on the part of the customer = I'll look elsewhere = loss of business

Not necessarily in reference to the mentioned site, but it does apply to many sites.

It seems like the "young techies" feel a need to make everything glamorous when it comes to designing websites. What really irritates me is when you get on a site and the text is so close to the background that it blends in and you can hardly read it - obviously put together by youngsters who don't realize that many of us have vision issues. On some sites I've visited, you ave to hunt forever to even find contact information such as phone numbers, etc. and not everyone is in to all the other stuff, twitter, Facebook, etc. Communications is "everything" and there is nothing like a good old phone call and a one on one conversation to make sure an item will work. Makes a person wonder what it will be like even ten years from now?

dragon813gt
07-14-2018, 12:10 PM
simple = quicker to find = faster transaction = happier customer = returning customer

glitz and glitter = harder to locate needed item = more time wasted = frustration on the part of the customer = I'll look elsewhere = loss of business

This sums it up well. It’s why I order the amount I do from Amazon. Their app is simple and quick to use. I may pay a little more but when I can have an item ordered in about thirty seconds it’s worth it to me. PV already lost one order from not. I’m sure I will order from them in the future. But I already don’t visit sites like Brownells due to cumbersome interfaces.

alamogunr
07-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Just to stay on topic, I don't care for Powder Valley's new web site either. But like some others have mentioned, there are many sites that are cumbersome, confusing and probably some other things that begin with "c".

I was on such a site today trying to buy tickets to a river boat dinner theater. You had to pick your preferred table, etc. I went thru all the steps and when I tried to enter my personal information, I was informed that I was already in their system. Must have been from 5-10 years ago. I certainly don't remember. Easier to call and do everything on the phone. That went very smoothly. Lady taking care of things mentioned that the website was going away and a new one replacing it. When I said "GOOD"! she laughed. Somehow I doubt that the new site will be any less confusing.