PDA

View Full Version : Guinea hen recipes?

bikerbeans
07-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Someone decided to dump a couple of guineas at my place. I am guessing they bought them as little ones at TSC because they were cute. Neighbors dog dispatched one right away but after a month the surviving bird has signed a peace treaty with the dogs and it is meaner than the barn cats.

Now the problem, my wife thinks it is her duty to adopt and take care of strays. Horses, cats, dogs and lazy broke people are her favorites. I don't want a bird coop but it will happen soon enough if this bird doesn't have an "accident". After the accident do I clean and cook it like a pheasant or another method?

BB

WebMonkey
07-07-2018, 05:09 PM
we prepare them like chickens.
young birds are fried or bbq.
older birds are slow cooked.

the "diet" has more impact on "kept" birds than you'd think.
:)

MyFlatline
07-07-2018, 05:14 PM
What the Monkey said..Thankfully half of the ones Momma brought home vanished.[smilie=1:

Get em young and tender and smoke em..

farmerjim
07-07-2018, 07:07 PM
If it is a hen, the eggs are great. Small, hard shell, but almost all yoke. The hens have a 2 tone call while the cocks have a one tone call.

SciFiJim
07-07-2018, 09:22 PM
My parents got guineas when I was a kid. They only lasted until they stripped my father's garden. We then had guinea and dumplings.

Tom W.
07-08-2018, 12:15 AM
When I was in high school in upstate N.Y. my future in-laws had some, and the snow broke a limb which entered the cage and some got out. One flew up and marched on the crest of a two story barn. I started to throw snowballs at it and one actually connected, killing it. We ate it that evening, fried like any chicken....

gwpercle
07-08-2018, 09:47 AM
They are not bad to have around , eat a lot of bugs , ticks and such...they are a bugs Great White Shark....bug eating machines.
But if an "accident" happens and it's a "mature" bird (tough) we use them make a Gumbo with smoked sausage !
Can You Make a Roux ?
Gary

country gent
07-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Mom fixed them like chicken. Done right they are goo eating. Guienna fowl cant be chased down ran around or scared excited when slaughtering them as they release a substance that fouls the meat. We found a good solid head shot from a 22 worked best. If they flkop or move the meat is probably going to be strong and nasty.

Goatwhiskers
07-09-2018, 05:30 PM
How do you tell the rooster guinea from a hen? Well, you're holding two birds. Set them on the ground. In a minute, one runs away, then the second starts chasing the first. The one running away is the hen. So now you know. GW

Hannibal
07-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Mom fixed them like chicken. Done right they are goo eating. Guienna fowl cant be chased down ran around or scared excited when slaughtering them as they release a substance that fouls the meat. We found a good solid head shot from a 22 worked best. If they flkop or move the meat is probably going to be strong and nasty.

I think the key is to get them ready to cook before the skin on the neck turns bluish. :wink:

frankenfab
07-09-2018, 06:37 PM
They are not bad to have around , eat a lot of bugs , ticks and such...they are a bugs Great White Shark....bug eating machines.
But if an "accident" happens and it's a "mature" bird (tough) we use them make a Gumbo with smoked sausage !
Can You Make a Roux ?
Gary

They will also peck snakes to death. I had some when I was a kid, and found them fascinating. It's neat the way they scurry around, making their noises.

bikerbeans
07-13-2018, 07:21 AM
The "bird" has been pardoned by the govenor. Turns out it loves to beat up barn cats. It is now my friend. In addition to bugs it likes to eat pelleted horse grain.

BB

Boaz
07-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Use to buy six or so young ones to dress out . Always baked em like a chicken but extra slow or they are tough . I like em better than chicken and regardless if they are checked , white or black ….they taste the same !

Fishman
07-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Don’t bother with a coop. Guineas won’t stay in a coop even when raised as chicks in one. I tried.

gwpercle
07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
The "bird" has been pardoned by the govenor. Turns out it loves to beat up barn cats. It is now my friend. In addition to bugs it likes to eat pelleted horse grain.

BB

That's good , I kind of liked having them around...weren't afraid of nothing .
You can make a Gumbo with an old hen too.
Gary