PDA

View Full Version : Making a Scope Mount Work

KCSO
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Here is a Parker Hale 303 with a modified Stevens side mount. I had to mill and redril the holes and straighten the mount but it worked. It took about an hour and a mini mill, drill press, lathe, and hydraulic press. So SEE those tools are good for something, why I managed to make a $20 part with jus $10,000 woth of tools!
The hardest part was getting it on straight as ther is not much on a 303 that is level to start with i ended up leveling the bore and then using the level on the mount and it worked as I was only off about 4" at 50 yards with the scope adjustments centered. One hole to filll and I am done.

deltaenterprizes
09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Nice work!

arclight
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Nice job! How did you get the bore level?

I wanted to mount a scope on an old Mauser that someone had tried to sporterize. There was a standard base and rings, but I could not get it to optically center. It seems that someone had drilled the holes pretty far off center.

I tried shimming, and found that I had only a couple of screw threads engaging on the front.

Turns out that the "Burris Signature" rings with the shock-absorbing inserts can be ordered with offset inserts. I put the .040 one up front and the .010 in bnack, and "Voila!" Perfect boresight.

Just another trick you can use.

Arclight

KCSO
09-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I ran a bore size rod in the muzzle and used a machinists level to get the bore level then matched the mount to the bore. I have the last hole filled and am gettng it all sighted in this weekend.