PDA

View Full Version : Am I just being petty?

JimB..
07-05-2018, 10:29 PM
I bought a heater for my new-to-me Star Lubesizer from Magma. I know, would have been easy to build one or use a lightbulb, but I did what I did, and I paid full MSRP for it plus shipping.

A few days later it arrives, open it up and it appears to be used rather than new. Scratched up from mounting and dismounting a few times and some odd partially drilled divots on the bottom side. Thermostat control screw is slightly buggered. The whole thing was a little sticky from lube.

Plugged it in and it heats up. So, maybe issues are just cosmetic and likely a new one would look like this within a fairly short period, and who cares how it looks anyway.

But I feel cheated, I paid for new.

I pretty much decided to just mount it up tonight and get on with life, but then decided to ask all ya’ll your opinions. Let’s see if I can post some pics.

varmintpopper
07-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Not petty at all, You buy a new car,, You don't want a bunch of scratches and dings on it, Same with anything You Buy new. Contact them and let them know the condition and Send it back !!

Good Shooting

Lindy

samari46
07-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Nope, I think you are well within your rights to send it back and request you get what you paid for a new unit not one that someone used then returned. At my age 70+ years hate being taken advantage of. Was in lowes one day and one of the sales people was telling me that on some returns they just reseal the package and back on the shelf. But that kind of stupidity also bites them where it hurts the most. Someone returned a complete toilet assembly. Turns out the took the new one out then stuck the old toilet bowl in the box and sealed it up. Customer buys what he thought was a new unit. He got the one that was returned. Frank

Czech_too
07-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Being a bare piece of metal, I can see how it might get scratched during handling, but some of those screw holes!
To me it looks to be used.
I would certainly contact them.

Beagle333
07-06-2018, 06:18 AM
If it had been on clearance, or a blem sale, yes. But if you paid full MSRP..... nope.
Let them know that a first class price deserves a first class product.

Edward
07-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Would insist on new and point out they just found someone who will give very public ratings /Ed

Taylor
07-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Agreed, you pay for new, you should get new.

lightman
07-06-2018, 06:49 AM
No, I don't think you're being petty. If you order a product you assume it to be new unless it is advertised as being used. I probably would keep that heater but I would contact them and let them know that as a loyal customer, I was disappointed. I would also inquire about any warranty.

smokeywolf
07-06-2018, 06:53 AM
I think I'd fire off an email to Magma and embed a link to this page in it.

FISH4BUGS
07-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Not being petty at all.
Call them and be nice and explain.
I have always been satisfied with Magma's customer service. I bought my Star Sizer years ago and it simply would not work properly. I called them maybe 10 times over a year's time to try to figure out why it wasn't doing what it should be doing......and FINALLY gave up.
I sent it back and they rebuilt if for no charge.
They even paid the shipping back to me.
The key is being nice to them. Be firm but polite. They really are good people.
If a gruff woman answers, don't be put off....that is just the way she is. She actually is pretty nice.

JimB..
07-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Thanks all, and I’m almost always nice. Sent the following email this morning along with the pictures, will update the thread when I hear back but have no reason to expect any issues.

Good morning,

Last week I ordered a new heater for my Star Lubesizer. It arrived and I opened it yesterday to find what appears to be a used heater for a Star Lubesizer.

I’m not sure why you’d do such a thing, so figure it’s just a mistake in shipping, stuff happens. Anyway, please box up a new one and send it along with instructions on how to return this one.

Thanks

JSnover
07-06-2018, 07:37 AM
If it was offered as a "New" heater that would be one thing but if it was described as "Used," the seller had no business charging full MSRP. Even "Like New" isn't worth full price. They owe you something.

bedbugbilly
07-06-2018, 07:48 AM
I don't blame you one bit for having it upset you - I would be too. You paid top price for a NEW one not a USED one. I'd contact them, see what they say and offer to send the photos to them. A good business operation would apologize, offer to send a new one out right away and you send that one back - or make a hefty adjustment on the price and refund some your money if you decide it will work for you. That's just good business practice regardless of what the product is. A happy customer is one who will return - an unhappy customer will never darken your doorstep again.

RED BEAR
07-06-2018, 08:11 AM
your not being petty at all i would not accept that you pay for new you expect new

redhawk0
07-06-2018, 08:18 AM
If you don't get satisfaction...let us know who you purchased it from. We should all beware of that seller.

redhawk

Dusty Bannister
07-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Good approach, you are letting them know a mistake occurred and how you would like to resolve the problem and be able to return the used heater. Simple and calm and no harsh words. No one needs to be defensive, just take care of the problem.

dverna
07-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Good approach, you are letting them know a mistake occurred and how you would like to resolve the problem and be able to return the used heater. Simple and calm and no harsh words. No one needs to be defensive, just take care of the problem.

Exactly

Stuff happens...the ball is now in their court to do the right thing

Greg S
07-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Looks like ya paid full msrp for a 'Demo' unit. Contact them and complain. If they don't want to come off their high horse, send it back and make your own. New is new, demo/customer return used is 20-30% off msrp.

Now you've seen their mouse trap. Order your materials and get the satidfaction of building your own and sticking it to the man.

I purchased one used along with a Lyman 45. The heating element was shot in the heater and the lubrasizer had a bent guide rod (neither defificiency mentioned in the BST add) Time and effort in fixing both items i could've bought new.

JimB..
07-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Wasn’t being intentionally vague, this was purchased directly from Magma.

Just got the following:

Hi Jim,

That is a new heated base. All of the heated bases on the shelf look like that. They get scratched when the metal is being cut down and machined. There is not much that we can do to keep them from getting scratched. Most times the metal comes that way when we purchase it. If you want to return it to me, I can send you another one.

Best Regards,
Elisabeth

Really very surprised that they make such a mess of things for such a simple setup. Do all of their products show this level of sloppiness?

Char-Gar
07-06-2018, 02:16 PM
You are not being petty! You paid full new price for used goods. Magma should either refund your money, send you a new one, or give a sharp discount for the one you have and send you the difference.

Omega
07-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Wasn’t being intentionally vague, this was purchased directly from Magma.

Just got the following:

Hi Jim,

That is a new heated base. All of the heated bases on the shelf look like that. They get scratched when the metal is being cut down and machined. There is not much that we can do to keep them from getting scratched. Most times the metal comes that way when we purchase it. If you want to return it to me, I can send you another one.

Best Regards,
Elisabeth

Really very surprised that they make such a mess of things for such a simple setup. Do all of their products show this level of sloppiness?I don't think this is true, the drill holes do not look clean, even if the scratches and dings are made during the manufacturing process, the drill holes would be clean. I'd ask for a new one.

nvbirdman
07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
If that's what their product looks like when it is new, they need to fire whoever is in charge of quality control.

sniper
07-06-2018, 04:01 PM
if it was offered as a "new" heater that would be one thing but if it was described as "used," the seller had no business charging full msrp. Even "like new" isn't worth full price. They owe you something.

right!:|

country gent
07-06-2018, 04:34 PM
You are right in expecting new and unused when you pay for it. Several things stand out here that raise a red flag in my eye, the divot holes don't appear round or square to the plate. several holes have no chamfer breaking the sharp edge ( a no no in manufacturing ). some holes appear to be finished round and with the edge broken so its not sharp. This definitely cries out used unit to me (wether used in in house testing, quality control or a return) this should be sold as a blemish or scratch and dent not new

As to the scratches and gouges these are handling of a used unit or sloppy manufacturering, Many highly polished items are made from like or softer materials with out scratches being present in the parts, its done every day in industry. Scratches and gouges can happen in shipping but the shipping box also shows it usually.

Minerat
07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Agreed, you pay for new, you should get new.

plus 1 on this. Ya paid for new you should get new.

JimB..
07-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Want to thank everyone for their support, but I have decided to throw in the towel. It’ll cost me $20 and half an hour to ship it back, and then I either get a refund and build one, or I get another that may be better or worse. Instead of spending that half hour to ship it I can chamfer the holes that need it, cleanup the threading, and even refinish the surfaces if I want.

I’ve only heard good things about Magma, but either their production and QC has recently become abysmal or they lied to me. Either way, I gave them a chance to step up and they passed. At least I have her email saying that it was new, so hopefully that will help should any warranty issues arise. Other than maybe someday needing my sizer rebuilt, this will likely be the last time I’ll deal with them. It is unfortunate, but I’ve decided to move on.

Ya’ll have a great evening,
Jim

john.k
07-07-2018, 04:52 AM
I bought a television from a big storechain,when I unpacked it,.......it didnt work.......On a close look,it had been mounted by a rear bracket,and marks on the hard plastic....It was obviously used....So ,I took it back to the store.........and the young people there are acting like I was trying to con them....."straight from the bulkstore",the 20 something manager says,couldnt possibly be used.........anyhoo,I demand another one,and unpack and check it carefully,before leaving....New set,after two 20 mile trips,not one....It looks to me someone in the store is conducting a scam,possibly swapping hotel or apartment sets for new,as the box was carefully packed,no torn or cut plastic,or any indication of opening.