PDA

View Full Version : Something quick and easy

Goatwhiskers
07-04-2018, 02:27 PM
A pound of your favorite link sausage, I prefer Hilshire Farms, cut into rounds, brown, and don't wipe out any grease. Add a shot of water for steam and a package of prepared coldslaw cabbage. Put a lid on the skillet long enough to steam the cabbage. Then you can add a package of mixed vegetables, or a pot of rice, or a pot of noodles, which I prefer. Makes a lot, and tastes darn good. GW

rancher1913
07-04-2018, 02:50 PM
we do something simmaler, chunk 2 or 3 heads of cabbage and cut up several pounds of German sausage, toss it all in a pot with a little water and salt. no browning of meat, just mix it in. the family has done it this way for as long as I can remember and its refereed to as donky dicks and cabbage.

Hickory
07-04-2018, 03:14 PM
One pound smoked sausage.
One head of cabbage cored and quartered.
One large onion.
One medium potato.
One large carrot.
One teaspoon caraway seeds.
One package of pita pocket bread
1/2 cup water.

Cut sausage in 1/2" widths brown in large skillet, set aside. Cut cabbage in half and remove the core. Then quarter each half and place in skillet with water. Return sausage to skillet. Peel and chop onion, carrot and potato into large pieces place these and all other ingretents in skillet.
Cook on med-low heat turning several times until done, about 20-25 minutes. Cut Pita pockets in half and stuff with the above.

Goatwhiskers
07-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Amazing what you can make just throwing a bunch of stuff in a pot..

Wayne Smith
07-04-2018, 06:32 PM
One pound smoked sausage.
One head of cabbage cored and quartered.
One large onion.
One medium potato.
One large carrot.
One teaspoon caraway seeds.
One package of pita pocket bread
1/2 cup water.

Cut sausage in 1/2" widths brown in large skillet, set aside. Cut cabbage in half and remove the core. Then quarter each half and place in skillet with water. Return sausage to skillet. Peel and chop onion, carrot and potato into large pieces place these and all other ingretents in skillet.
Cook on med-low heat turning several times until done, about 20-25 minutes. Cut Pita pockets in half and stuff with the above.

Hickory, any idea of time and temp if one put it in the oven in a covered cast iron frypan? I could do that an not worry about burning and basically ignore it till it's done.

Hickory
07-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Hickory, any idea of time and temp if one put it in the oven in a covered cast iron frypan? I could do that an not worry about burning and basically ignore it till it's done.

My guess would be 350° for 25-30 minutes.
When cooking in the oven, I rely on my sniffer. If I can smell it and it smells done, give another 5 minutes.

country gent
07-05-2018, 10:26 AM
We make what we call a Mess. The echrich hillsire farms sausage sliced about 1/2" thick diced potatoes and onion. Cook this all together with 1/4-3/8 cup water till browned and potatoes are done. sprinkle with cheese salt and pepper to taste.