PDA

View Full Version : for those with limited shop/bench space

RedDogForge
07-03-2018, 04:51 PM
and who doesnt have that problem *grins*
seems no matter how big or how many shops Ive got 10 days later its too small.
anyway I digress,
Im new here and to reloading so I dont know if this is commen practice but I found this in "Precision Handloading" by John Withers and it struck me as so dang smart and handy I had to share in case others like me are like * jeez there ya go!*

he blocks his tooling bases and uses his heavy duty bench vice to mount what he needs, when he needs it.
frikken genius

rancher1913
07-03-2018, 05:41 PM
I use the inline fabrication quick change system with 2 bases, can mix and match to whatever project I am working on.

Wheelguns 1961
07-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I have my case trimmer mounted on a piece of plywood. When I need it, I just clamp it to the bench. When I don’t I just put it on a shelf.

JimB..
07-03-2018, 05:57 PM
I do the same, also mount presses to Inline Fabrication bases so I can hang them on the wall when not in use. The stuff seems expensive, but considering the cost of adding more space they are a bargain.

I have 3 vises mounted to my bench, different sizes and jaws.

Stan_TN
07-03-2018, 06:19 PM
These are good ideas. I use a piece of butcher block left from my kitchen remodel. Then secure them with a web strap to a bench.

CastingFool
07-03-2018, 07:34 PM
I have two trimmers, both mounted on wood blocks that are put in a vise when needed. My main press is mounted on a wooden board, that is bolted to the bench. T-nuts on the underside of the bench, so all I have to do is unscrew the bolts from the top, should I need more bench space. My shotshell reloader is mounted on a piece of plywood, rubber feet on the corners, it can be used on any flat surface. No slipping or scratching

daengmei
07-03-2018, 07:44 PM
I put the Lee C-frame for decapping/power drop, a Herters for sizing and an RCBS Explorer for seating on a 18x15 3/8 plate. C-clamps hold it down and I can move it.

daboone
07-03-2018, 10:41 PM
I use t-nuts under the bench top with t-knob bolt on top to secure a trimmer or a bench primer. I also made a powder measure stand that simultaneously holds 5 PMs. This also reduces the amount of storage space required by keeping them ready to go up on the bench top!

Bohica793
07-04-2018, 08:53 AM
All of my presses and lubesizers are on Pat Marlin RockDOCKs. Changeover takes 30 seconds.

Bayou52
07-04-2018, 09:19 AM
For me, the various reloading devices like the trimmer and the powder dispenser are all clamped to the bench and removed and stored after each session. Some need to be affixed to small plywood bases and some don't.

The only exception is the Rockchucker press. This is bolted to a piece of 2x8. There are 2 clamps affixing the base to the bench in the front. For stability, there's a 1/4 inch hole drilled through the 2x8 base on the rear and through the bench with an eye bolt cinching it to the bench. I just leave the press in place on the bench. But there's no more or larger holes drilled in the bench, and the set-up is as solid as a rock.

Bayou52

kayala
07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
I've got T-track system on my bench and all my presses are mounted on pieces of plywood, same as swager and trimmers that way I can move all my equipment in and out of working area. Unused presses are stored on different table (or under)

jmorris
07-04-2018, 10:38 AM
When we were kids, my Brother and I had our presses mounted on sections of 4x4. A rack in our closet was where they were kept in storage and we would clamp them in our Fathers bench vise for use.

We didn’t thing about the setup your photo has cut into the wood. We use the 4x4 because the bottom would ride on the slide of the vise while the top was clamped by the jaws.

dragon813gt
07-04-2018, 12:25 PM
I use the inline fabrication quick change system with 2 bases, can mix and match to whatever project I am working on.

Same here. I have them on the small bench in the basement and the bigger on in the garage. I also have a lot of tools that are screwed to wood blocks. They’re then clamped to the bench when I need to use them. Nothing on my benches is permanently mounted. Even the Inline mounts are mounted w/ wing nuts so I can pull them off quickly. Which I have to do on the large bench when I want to clean a rifle.

RedDogForge
07-04-2018, 03:34 PM
great stuff everyone! some really excellent ideas here.

Blindshooter
07-04-2018, 04:47 PM
I use the socket and plate method. Store machines/tools not in use under the bench. I'm sure somebody with actual wood working skill could do a much better job but this gets the job done.

Tom W.
07-04-2018, 04:59 PM
I have an RCBS base plate with the tapped holes for their products. Except for the lubrisizer, which sits on a tapped Lyman heater....

Petrol & Powder
07-04-2018, 05:01 PM
I've been using the bench top "plug" method for years.

Some tools that are frequently used are permanently mounted to the bench. Other tools/machines are bolted to removable "plugs" and stored on a shelf until needed.

JMax
07-04-2018, 06:43 PM
I use a Patmarlin RockDocker (advertiser) with various adaptor plates for my (3) RCBS LAM and a Lyman lube sizers and my case trimmer. They work great and takes care of my bench space limitations.

country gent
07-05-2018, 10:35 AM
I have been looking at the breech lock system and adapting it to a quick bench mount system. The press bushing mounted in the bench top, and the inserts used to mount low stress items with a quick 1/4 turn. Case trimmers, powder measures, various uniformers and other tools. With crank powered tools the tool could be raised a few inches from the bench to save bumped knuckles even

Reddirt62
07-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Ditto on Inline Fab quick change. I have three bases so I can run three items at once. Mix, match, and move at will!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blindshooter
07-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Petrol & Powder
"I've been using the bench top "plug" method for years."

Great minds think alike:idea:
I have a very small space now compared to what I have had in the past and this method makes for a very versatile bench top set up. I have two benches, one 5 ft and the other 6 ft, built at different heights. A blank plug/plate allows the bench to be cleared quickly for other gun tinkering work. I had to down size due to wife #2 leaving and robbing me at the same time......

RogerDat
07-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Two plates of heavy plywood. One with turret press is kept screwed down to bench all the time. The smaller C press for sizing, pocket swaging, trimming is mounted with wing nuts under the bench. I generally don't remove it but I can.

I have a second C press mounted to a plywood base that can clamp to reloading bench for 2 C presses side by side. Or clamp to a different bench or picnic table or.... Also mounted two recently acquired shot shell presses to wood bases that can clamp next to my attached metallic reloading turret and C press. I'm not big loader of shot shells so clamping to knock out a couple of boxes should work fine.

Powder measure on small wood base, I just weigh down the back and side with a Babbitt ingot and a small loaf pan of lead bullet culls. I do much of my powder measure on the turret press so only the one measure is on a stand for now. I too have looked at the Rock Dock system. Had the wood on hand but the aluminum docking system was certainly interesting option. Maybe for an upgrade I talk myself into needing and figure out how to slip past management. :-)

daboone
07-05-2018, 12:38 PM
For me storage space is as critical as bench space. So if anyone has a bulkhead stretcher I'd love to borrow it.[smilie=1:

3006guns
07-05-2018, 04:01 PM
I have a one of those "work benches" sold in the big box stores.....metal framework, one middle drawer and a top from an old office desk. I mounted two pieces of 2" C channel to the right side, 10" long and about 8" apart. I drilled and tapped one 3/8" x 16tpi hole in each piece, then mounted ALL of my presses and equipment on 1/4" thick steel plates. Each plate is a uniform 6" x 8" with holes matching the threaded holes in the channels. Two 3/8" socket head screws secure each plate to the channels, so all I have to do is remove the screws and swap the equipment.

Presses, sizers, trimmers are placed on wall shelves next to the bench for easy access.

It may not be as fast as a wedge and lock system, but it's stouter than all get out, neat and very repeatable.

hc18flyer
07-05-2018, 09:37 PM
I mount my presses to a length of 1" pipe with a disc blade welded to the bottom. A flat plate welded at bench height loss it to be clamped down. My rifle seating C Lee is the highest, giving me a good view. When not in use, the press on the stand can be set off to the side.
hc18flyer

bedbugbilly
07-07-2018, 09:20 AM
When we moved from our house of 45 years in to the condo, I had to "downsize" my reloading area. I decided to try the Lee bench plates - I bough them from Dennis at Titan Reloading - one of our good vendors who sponsor this site. I have been very happy with them and they work well for the presses and other things I have to change out. I have a RCBS Jr3 press that I use for de-priming all of my brass with as well as small batch loading. For that, I mounted it further down on the bench and use machine bolts with washers and wing nuts to mount it and take it off - only takes a couple of minutes to do.