PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Hoe for the Garden

Thundarstick
07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
I've looked at one of these for years, but this season I splurged and bought one. A Hoss Tools single wheel. This thing is fantastic! I can clear the middle of the rows quicker than with a rotary tiller, no gas, and no bucking. I can see it not working as well if the weeds get large or the ground is packed down and dry.

Does any of the other gardeners here use anything like this, and what had been your long term experience with it?

William Yanda
07-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Check out the whiz bang site. I am gathering components to make my own. I have seen that some utilize an old bicycle frame.

Thundarstick
07-03-2018, 06:28 AM
I considered building one, but unless you have a junk pile to pull from, you get over half the money in the wizbang as just buying a pre fab, especially if you buy their kit. If you have a torch, chop saw, and welder, you can probably build one from scrap for free. I know my rototiller is going to see a lot less hours in the future!

nagantguy
07-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Picture please

bbs70
07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Top pic is what I believe the gentleman was referring to

Bottom pic was what I used back in the 50s & 60s.
Definitely good for ground that isn't hard.
Will definitely get a workout with it.

mold maker
07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
My Dad used the predecessor to the Whizzbang to lay off strait rows and cover seeds.
His had a 28" metal wheel and that made it easy for some scoundrel to steal. He only used it in ground that was tilled and ready to plant. I'd be a runt if he hadn't fed me vegetables it helped raise.
Picture #2 above is like Dads.

Thundarstick
07-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Yes, the one with the green wheel. I got acquainted with the one on the bottom as a young teen and never thought much of it for the garden. I think it probably had more to do with not having the handles in the proper position as anything. With this one adjusted properly it does short work of the middles of the rows, flipping the top inch or so of the soil and killing the weeds. Quicker and easier than the rototiller to boot.

I'm just very happy with it and wish I'd bought one years ago.

farmerjim
07-03-2018, 03:07 PM
They work great if you put an hitching strap on the front and get your wife to pull it while you guide.

Thundarstick
07-03-2018, 03:16 PM
[smilie=l:

My boss swears his Grandma pulled a plow! Now that I think of it, I've got some Grandchildren that need stories to tell. Like how their Papaw made them pull a garden plow growing up! :roll:

Circuit Rider
07-04-2018, 03:23 PM
bbs70, I have one similar to your bottom pic. I'm 76 and remember my Mother using it when I was a pup. It's got to be 75 years old and I still use it in my garden. CR

Geezer in NH
07-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Got a Stihl rotor attachment for the trimmer. Nice, better than a Mantis and find it works and controls better by pulling it behind. Easy peasy.

Elkins45
07-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Got a Stihl rotor attachment for the trimmer. Nice, better than a Mantis and find it works and controls better by pulling it behind. Easy peasy.

I have one of those, although mine was made by Ryobi. It has pretty much taken the place of my hoe. I’ve had it for over 20 years and actually owned it before I had a “real” tiller.