PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting......caution.....

chrisx1
09-17-2008, 03:40 PM
That title's kind of like driving by a bad accident on the road.....even though you know it's going to be bad, you still have to look.....

You had to look, didn't you?

Here's my last caution. This post really doesn't have any value other than to teach those of you with shotmakers a valuable lesson: put the oil away in a closed container when you are done.

Now you know. You know the tip that I am going to give you before I get to all the gory details. So you can stop reading right here and you won't get all grossed out.

Chris

For those of you that just had to read on.....here it is.

I went out to cast some boolits yesterday after my garage had been held hostage for about a month due to a yard sale. I know, I know, if the sale was in the yard......
Well, when last I left my shotmaker and casting setup, I had put it away hastily in preparation for the above mentioned garage sale. I had left a small amount of shot in the catch tub (ammo can) and the can was full of oil.

Here's the disgusting part: I guess a mouse got curious or careless or something, and ended up in the catch tub full of oil. I'm not sure why he couldn't get back out, but, he didn't. And he has been in there for quite a while. I use crop oil for coolant, and let's just say, it's not necessarily a preservative when it comes to small furry animals.

A dark blob in the coolant caught my eye when firing up the Lee pot near the shotmaker, so I tried to fish it out with a spoon...... No luck. It just came apart kind of like snot suspended in water. The smell that came next as I lifted some of the slime out of the coolant wasn't nice either....

For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering throwing away 10 lbs of shot just because I'm not sure I can stomach cleaning it up. The problem is, where would I throw it? It's just sitting there waiting......:(

Well, I warned you multiple times that it wasn't pretty.....
After you clean up the puke from your keyboard, maybe you could lend some suggestions on the best way to clean this up?

Ricochet
09-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Burn the oil. Remelt the shot.

BABore
09-17-2008, 04:07 PM
That brings back a good one.

I got one of them 3 gallon stainless water dishes for my lab. We usually find 3-4 mice per year that take the one-way plunge. I just fish them out as they're usually only a day or two old. Hell, even my then 6 yr old daughter hooked one out with a stick. We were gone during a long hot weekend this last Spring. The wife went out the next Monday evening to check the dog's dishes. It was just about dark out. She fishes out what she thought was a leaf. Nope! Twas a stinky slimer. I hear a blood curdling scream followed by some very audible hyper-ventilating. By the time I looked out the back door she was running for the house flapping both arms wildly. Thought she got into a nest of ground bees. She screams up the stairs (literally) and about dives into the sink. Scrubbed up a couple times with soap then grabbed the bleach bottle. After we got the details ( between gasps), my daughter called her a "big sissy". I headed for the gun room.

Maximilian225
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
:brokenima

Kinda disappointed. I was expecting a visual presentation here.

unclebill
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
no pics?

what a gyp......:roll:

chrisx1
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I took pics.....just thought we were a little higher class than that.....

What was I thinking??

This was after I had dipped out most of the oil.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/chrisx1/DSC03006.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/chrisx1/DSC03008.jpg

Ricochet
09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Kinda looks like what's left in the Crock Pot after the ham comes out.

waksupi
09-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Heck, it was just a mouse. Shoot the stuff!

9.3X62AL
09-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Can'r help much with the clean-up part, but do a few things about putting up with decomposition ambiance.

People often ask why so many policemen wear moustaches. Mostly, it's a tradition and all that drag, but there is a practical application for them. Vicks Vapo-Rub dispels most of the stench of decomposition if placed on your upper lip near the nostrils. A moustache holds more Vicks.

In these modern times, air purifying respirators or SCBA units get pressed into service at such times. Not so long ago, that wasn't how bizness got done.

Bret4207
09-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Cripes! Half the kiddies I work don't even shave much less have a 'stash! This expalins a lot....

Echo
09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Anyway, I thought carbon, or cellulose, was a good flux...

Maximilian225
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm with Ricochet on this one. But I suggest burning the oil off the shot.

Trapshooter
09-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I had a couple similar adventures with chipmunks. Where I live there is lots of Radon, so if the house has a basement, all the seams in the concrete are sealed, and a sealed, outside vented lid is put on the sump pump crock. Late in the first fall we lived in the house, there was an odd smell in the basement. Neither the wife or I couldn't find a source. It just kept getting worse. Finally I took the lid off the sump, and found a similar looking remains of a chipmunk. It took a long time, and a lot of effort to get rid of that smell and the flys!

A few years later, another one climbed in to the furnace air intake. Fortunately we found what was left of him before he went through the Bass-O-Matic squirrel cage blower!

Trapshooter

crowbeaner
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
OH C'MON! Haven't you ever heard of mousefart trap loads? 1100 or 1145 fps is mousefart! Use the shot! 16.0 of Clays!

shotman
09-22-2008, 03:33 AM
i thought that is what the lid is for, to keep the bugs and critters out. I have to keep lid on mine now .Have you tried to give a cat a bath? GOOD LUCK rick

crowbeaner
09-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Yup. I still have the scratches to prove it.

Tom Herman
09-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Burn the oil. Remelt the shot.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Remelting the lead should destroy all the smell.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jimkim
09-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I grew up on a farm. When you have a dead horse come apart while your moving it, then complain. lol I guess between the farm and the funeral home and the Sheriffs dept. I may have become jaded.

waydownsouth
09-24-2008, 06:50 AM
looks like the possum i pulled out of our drinking water tank a couple fo weeks ago ( dont tell the kids )
it should clean up with some sort of degreaser just wear rubber gloves (under the sink just dont let the misses catch you) and a mask if you are worried about it

kycrawler
09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
carry the tank to the back edge of your property fill it with water then slowly pour 2 more 5 gallon buckets of water in letting it over flow that should flush out the mouse parts and the oil and leave the shot in the bottom of the tank

TNsailorman
09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
You ought to see what gets pulled out of the mash at a moonshine still operation sometimes. If that doesn't stop you drinking moonshine, nothing will.

10-x
09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Talk about Gross, went to Ord. School in Aberdeen back in the 70's with 2 Indonesians............now they can drink....told me the "National Drink" of Indonesian is a keg of cheap whiskey with a deer fetus stuffed in it for 6 months!!!!!(yea they find a pregnant deer and kill it to get the fetus)after the"ferminting" they take the deer fetus out and drink the stuff.......:confused:

chrisx1
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I was doing fine...some good ideas until I read about the deer fetus.......

Moderators, feel free to zap this thread.........

Deer Fetus???????????????????????????

:holysheep:

10-x
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
NO kidding, these 2 Lt's were short swarthy guys, Kahna and Sukawana IIRC......at our graduation party one of them pulled out a pint of Scotch, unscrewed the lid and threw it in the trash, tilted his head back , and POURED the Whole Bottle down his throat, non stop...........you could have heard a pin drop(except for the music).........naturally the question was asked....."where did you guys learn to drink like that?".......then the story about the cheap whiskey and deer fetus.............our drinking kinda tapered off after that:drinks:

bruce drake
09-26-2008, 04:24 AM
10-X,

You are bringing back some very hazy memories of Aberdeen Proving Grounds OBC and the Officer's Club back in 2000. We had Arabs from Jordan and Eqypt that somehow thought by being in the States meant they could drink all night long and still be good Muslims.

Though that is nice to have an Arab Prince pick up the tab after a night of hitting the Scotch.

Deer Fetus - No Way

Habu Sake (Sake with a Cobra bottled inside)-- Drank it in Okinawa on a dare. About ralphed two days worth of food afterwards.

Take the shot to a ditch and hose out the bucket. Lead won't absorb the stuff so it just lays there. Dispose of the oil in accordance with the local regs and start with a fresh batch of coolant. A Lid is something that will remain unstated.

10-x
09-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Bruce Drake,
Thank You for your service. We all wait for your safe return.
Aberdeen back in 71 was really the pits. The Museum and the "Tank" park were the high points.....a King Tiger and a Matilda stand out............never forget several smells..............burning human flesh, and a P#$$ed off SKUNK that sprays something/somebody in the FOG......one skunk and half the post stank:(

Have known a few a few Indionesians since and have not asked about this libation..........:drinks:

IMHO the Good Lord put the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans where they are with the intent to keep the weird and stange out....[smilie=1:[/SIZE]

Hardcast416taylor
10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
When I was "advising" in Nam we had to have potable water brought in. In those early days sometimes barrels were used, but not very well cleaned before hand. Believe me when I say your pride and revulsion over seeing "floaters" in the water soon vanish when the temp is over 100 in the shade!:mrgreen:

LqChrome
12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
One year at deer camp, we discovered that someone had ran over the frostless hydrant between the well and the trailer.Phillip Grimes thuught that if he shut off the valve, it would keep the hydrant fron leaking yet still supply water to the trailer.It's after dark when Phillip drops to his knees and starts digging out "mud and grass" from the 4 inch pipe that protects the valve.With 4 guys standing around shinning their flashlights in the pipe I shined mine on the pile of "mud, grass and sticks" just before Phillip pulled a bow turtle shell out. I told Phillip to get his arm out of there !! The mud, grass and sticks were hair, bones and "other"possum remains by the color of the hair and the shape of the jawbone. Phillip then procieded to use every cuss word in every combination you have ever heard!!! Aftert that he was refered to as Phillip"Possum Arm" Grimes. The next year I open-skinned and tanned a very large possum and presented it to "Possum Arm".
the last time I was at that camp the hide is still on the wall

LqChrome
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
P.S. The valve turned off all the water, just as we tryed to tell him

LqChrome
12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey TNsailorman, what do you think sapperates the drinkin' kind from the sellin' kind? I was in Athens last Friday to lay a very dear friend to rest. We went over Mont Eagle yet again. Sure is purdy

preparehandbook
11-02-2010, 01:25 AM
did it still taste ok?

OLPDon
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Can'r help much with the clean-up part, but do a few things about putting up with decomposition ambiance.

People often ask why so many policemen wear moustaches. Mostly, it's a tradition and all that drag, but there is a practical application for them. Vicks Vapo-Rub dispels most of the stench of decomposition if placed on your upper lip near the nostrils. A moustache holds more Vicks.

In these modern times, air purifying respirators or SCBA units get pressed into service at such times. Not so long ago, that wasn't how bizness got done.

Yep had to use SCBA on several incidents, and of course there were onlookers after victum was put in body bag and we brought outside the onlookers sure did disperse at hyper speed. It was not something they were expecting. I don't know how anyone could get use to the autopsy. Any thought I had for part time as funeral director or new career sure isn't in my future. And Vick works well...
Don

Heck wonderin if with the new ingreediant in the oil might just make for better shot making.:kidding:
Don

home in oz
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Not a bad photo....

nelsonted1
11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
One sure way to get used to smells is drive a route in a portable restroom business! Looking down in the hole while running the vacuum wil put a cast iron liner on your guts and the gag reflex is quickly choked to death.