PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Redhawk 45 colt/45acp

curdog
06-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Is this revolver worth owning or would a guy be better off with a regular redhawk in 45 colt?
I like the round butt. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Curdog

contender1
06-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Well, I own a regular Redhawk that was milled to accept moons & use 45 ACP. I PERSONALLY appreciate the versatility of mine. But,, only you can answer if it will be useful to you. Have you handled one yet? Shot one yet? I always let that be a guide in how I feel about an unknown gun!

skeeter2
06-30-2018, 08:52 AM
I bought one used. I like the looks and balance. I haven’t shot mine much. The round grip is OK for acp, but not enough to hang onto with heavy colt loads. I found a Tyler T grip for mine, but haven’t shot it yet. It makes a great bullet puller, if you have reloading mistakes that won’t cycle in a semi auto. Perhaps, bullets seated too deeply, or light loads. You could also shoot some heavy loads in acp, maybe even 460 rowland loads. Everybody’s hand is different when it comes to grips. I like the versatility, but can’t shoot heavy loads with the round grip. Someone finally came out with a rubber aftermarket grip for the round butt. You can always go that direction.

Outpost75
06-30-2018, 09:02 AM
I have the NM Blackhawk in .45 Colt / .45 ACP and had DougGuy uniform both cylinders. Most accurate revolver I own in either caliber. I use mostly the .45 ACP cylinder because I used to shoot NRA Bullseye style pistol and have lots of .45 ACP ammo hoarded which the Blackhawk shoots well.

If limited to only one cylinder it would be the .45 ACP. I hardly use the .45 Colt one.

Bigslug
06-30-2018, 09:22 AM
I've got it and like it a lot, though don't really use the ACP option much (Moon clips are a PITA). The round butt I think is a big improvement over the older square, but I'm waiting for the aftermarket industry to catch up with something that really properly fits me - I'm wanting something that fills the "Tyler T-Grip" section a little better.

It is not a gun for comfort with "Ruger Only" loads, but then, my attitude has generally become "the original .45 Colt load was designed to kill HORSES - why exceed it just because some manual says you can?"

str8wal
06-30-2018, 10:09 AM
I like the round butt.

You might have a different opinion after shooting some heavy 45 Colt ;-)

curdog
07-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input I appreciate.

Wheelguns 1961
07-01-2018, 09:40 AM
There has been documented problems with this gun. Something about failure to fire. I remember reading several threads on rugerforum.net. I was not interested in one, so I did not pay attention. I would do some research before buying. Also, it is a single spring design, and harder to get a good trigger job.

docbrown
07-04-2018, 10:03 PM
There has been documented problems with this gun. Something about failure to fire. I remember reading several threads on rugerforum.net. I was not interested in one, so I did not pay attention. I would do some research before buying. Also, it is a single spring design, and harder to get a good trigger job.

Can you elaborate on the issues? I am on the fence about getting one of these. I have always liked the 45 Colt, and like the idea of the versatility of being able to run 45 ACP with it.

Tom W.
07-06-2018, 12:30 PM
I've been looking hard at one, but just can't get off my retired wallet to get it. SSD doesn't pay well....

charlie b
07-06-2018, 11:36 PM
I had the BH in .45 ACP/Colt.

I only fired the ACP cylinder once. Accurate enough, but, I liked firing my 1911 so it got all the ACP ammo and the Colt ammo was fired in the BH.

I had two loads for the Colt. 300gn heavy loads, 255gn medium loads. Liked them both and both were accurate enough for clay pigeons at 50yds.

I considered the extra cylinder just one of those things. I knew if I ran out of ammo I could find ACP just about anywhere. In those days Colt ammo was a bit hard to find. I eventually got tired of the BH and sold it.

Wheelguns 1961
07-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Can you elaborate on the issues? I am on the fence about getting one of these. I have always liked the 45 Colt, and like the idea of the versatility of being able to run 45 ACP with it.

I can’t remember the exact details, but if you do a search it should pop up.

Ramjet-SS
07-07-2018, 09:44 AM
I think rimmed 45 ACP brass will take care of any issue with FTF with the gun. Moon clips if bent will cause this issue in any 45acp revolver I run Moon clips for practice and fun but my carry ammo in my 45acp is rimmed for reliability.