PDA

View Full Version : pepper spray

wgr
06-26-2018, 03:14 PM
What brand would you guys say is the best?Looking to get some for the wife and kids

Omega
06-26-2018, 03:25 PM
What brand would you guys say is the best?Looking to get some for the wife and kids
Look for a high capsaicin content (our guards carry the 5.5% version), then read reviews for that company. This is the company we use: https://www.amazon.com/Defense-Technology-Stream-Solution-1-5-Ounce/dp/B004YEQ62O but the canister is rather large, for EDC. Also, you may want to check local laws to make sure you don't cross them.

KCSO
06-26-2018, 03:47 PM
If you just quit feeding them they will leave on their own???

What he said any 5.5% will repel bears and burglars.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-26-2018, 04:55 PM
I looked into this a few years ago, and there is a maximum strength that the various manufacturers are allowed to sell, controlled by Federal Regulation. I don't believe that you'll find it any stronger than 5.5%, so as long as the container sprays efficiently there isn't much difference.

JBinMN
06-26-2018, 05:10 PM
I bought a couple of the little ones with a case & keyring for the missus & my DIL a couple years back. I do not remember the name but it did remind on the packaging that they do expire in usefulness/strength & that would be also something you may want to consider when you are shopping.

Below is a webpage that tells how each state lists the legality of your having possession of it. I do not know how current it is, but it might help other folks who consider getting some about what they need to know for their locale.

It also has some tips & other links to info about pepper & bear sprays to look over, including some reviews of the products they tested.

Here it is & G'Luck!
:)

http://peppersprayinfo.com/index.php/pepper-spray-laws/

jmort
06-26-2018, 05:27 PM
I use Sabre. Sabre is the brand most relied on around the world and highest rated. I use the gel spray to avoid blowback.
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pepper-Gel-Strength/dp/B004NKSPR8/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004NKSPR8&pd_rd_r=PAC769DDY4AXQRKPZF7K&pd_rd_w=RPWV1&pd_rd_wg=HapS8&psc=1&refRID=PAC769DDY4AXQRKPZF7K

Parson
06-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Kimber

2wheelDuke
06-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Sabre and Def Tec are both brands that are used by many law enforcement agencies. I agree with making sure you're on the right side of any local laws.

My agency uses Freeze +p. It's also got CS in it. The choke reflex from the CS definitely adds to the effect, I can tell you first hand. I'm not sure if it's civilian legal in all areas though.

brewer12345
06-26-2018, 10:35 PM
About 158 grains should do it.

RU shooter
06-27-2018, 07:36 AM
I use Sabre. Sabre is the brand most relied on around the world and highest rated. I use the gel spray to avoid blowback.
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pepper-Gel-Strength/dp/B004NKSPR8/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004NKSPR8&pd_rd_r=PAC769DDY4AXQRKPZF7K&pd_rd_w=RPWV1&pd_rd_wg=HapS8&psc=1&refRID=PAC769DDY4AXQRKPZF7K
Yes the blow back is not a good thing , when I carried it on duty I also use the gel/ foam version

William Yanda
06-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Man! If you need pepper spray for the wife and kids you need to get some therapy-for them and you.
Purple font off. I just couldn't help myself.

wgr
06-27-2018, 07:28 PM
thinks ill try and find some 5.5

Mr_Sheesh
06-27-2018, 07:48 PM
I'd vote for 230 grains, myself. Years ago a couple folks I know got into a fight, one CS'ed the other and all it did was tick them off; Pepper spray may be better than CS but I wouldn't want my ONLY option to be pepper spray, unless it was in a can the size of the old 4 D cell Maglights (And as heavy.) In case Melee combat ended up being the next step, at least that'd lay 'em out. Though according to an ex-LEO friend, apparently aid Maglights will NOT stop a charging Ford Pinto. (It DID do a through & through, and distracted the driver somewhat...)

waksupi
06-28-2018, 12:28 AM
Our local "Counter Assault" seems to have a good record with grizzlies, as long as you aren't spraying into the wind.

ChuckO
07-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Be certain to learn proper techniques for use of pepper spray. Don't spray it at someone coming directly toward you, pivot and push them sideways as you spray. You don't want them knocking you down and dripping pepper spray in your face. Cans should be shaken weekly to keep the contents from settling and not dispensing correctly. Test monthly with a short spray outside into a garbage can and checking for the pepper odor. Pay attention to the expiration date on the can. Knowing how to use it is as important as the strength of the contents.

Stan_TN
07-01-2018, 09:40 AM
I will second the Kimber pepper spray "guns". You can find them most places - or online. But, they are basically single use, but work well. My daughter has carried and used it once....very effective.

Brokenbear
07-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Kimber +3

cattleskinner
07-01-2018, 11:03 PM
My department issued Sabre Red, however this past time I bought a new can, I chose Fox 5.3. there is a difference between OC and CS, in that the CS seems to affect the respiratory system more, and the OC is more the vision. Needless to say, they all stink to be sprayed with.

deltaenterprizes
07-02-2018, 12:07 AM

What he said!