PDA

View Full Version : NRA Certified Reloading Instructor

Calamity Jake
06-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Just finished a 3 day course to be come a reloading instructor for the gun club I am a member of(2500+ members)
as the club wants to start a reloading division/class for club members.
6 of us from different areas of the club took the class, all did well and can't wait to get started.
The course included boolit casting.
Huard the instructor is also a GS/ reloader/shooter and wants to get into powder coating so I
turned him on to this sight.

jsizemore
06-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Congrats.

Wheelguns 1961
06-26-2018, 07:06 PM
That sounds like something I would be interested in. I will have to research it.

Big Tom
06-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Nice! Congrats! I have been looking for a class in Ohio for quite a while now - looks like there aren't that many counselors that are interested in giving that class.

Jake McCracken
06-27-2018, 08:42 AM
I have been looking for a class in Ohio for quite a while now - looks like there aren't that many counselors that are interested in giving that class.

I know a guy in western PA that may be able to help you. He is the counselor I got all 8 of my certifications from including metallic cartridge and shot shell reloading. Not sure if that is close enough for ya or not. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Outer Rondacker
06-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Congrats! I just finished the RSO class Sunday. Already signed up for the Instructor class for pistol and have been asking the instructor to host the Reloading class you just took.

I am looking forward to it. Once again good job.

popper
06-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Neat. 2500+ members? Sounds like range time would be hard to get. Dallas Safari doesn't have that many members.

robg
06-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Got my NRA rco certificate but don't seem to have reloading courses for instructors over here .so I offer members of our club an introduction to reloading as can't claim a qualifaction to instruct.

Calamity Jake
06-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Neat. 2500+ members? Sounds like range time would be hard to get. Dallas Safari doesn't have that many members.

Actually it is fairly easy to find a place to shoot on week days, weekends is another story!!!
When there is a scheduled match on any of our ranges the public can come shoot the matches.

Tom W.
06-28-2018, 01:06 AM
The best I could do is Alabama state certified Hunter safety and shooting instructor. But that was a while ago.....

bobthenailer
06-28-2018, 08:32 AM
The instructor certificate's are great asset , but don't forget to get liablity insurance if you plan on teaching anyone !

I was going to take the pistol instructor course , but was informed I should get at least 1/4 million libality insurance at my ,if I was going to teach it

Calamity Jake
06-28-2018, 10:35 AM
The gun club furnishes the insurance.
With 2500 members + allowing non members to shoot
Matches it needs it.

Jake McCracken
06-28-2018, 11:10 AM
The gun club furnishes the insurance.
With 2500 members + allowing non members to shoot
Matches it needs it.I think he meant personal instructor liability insurance for teaching classes.

The NRA offers it (or at least they did) or you can contact your homeowners and get an add-on that will cover you.

15meter
06-29-2018, 10:24 AM
How was the quality of the technical side of the class? I assume there was a lot of focus on safety.

Reason I ask we had a member at my club claim he went through the reloading training class, after talking reloading to him, decided I would not be on the range with him.

He is a blown up gun just waiting to happen. I didn't want to be the guy calling 911.

Jake McCracken
06-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Reason I ask we had a member at my club claim he went through the reloading training class, after talking reloading to him, decided I would not be on the range with him.

The NRA class is pretty structured. There is a lesson plan that the instructor is required to follow. So, the guy you met either had a horrible instructor or he was a horrible student. Most times the old addage ~you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink~ comes into play. The class isn't the problem, it's the student not taking a drink so to speak.

15meter
06-29-2018, 06:41 PM
The NRA class is pretty structured. There is a lesson plan that the instructor is required to follow. So, the guy you met either had a horrible instructor or he was a horrible student. Most times the old addage ~you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink~ comes into play. The class isn't the problem, it's the student not taking a drink so to speak.

This guy didn't listen to anybody, He has moved through 4 gun clubs in the county(that I am aware of) because of "his way or hit the highway" attitude.

I am surprised that he got a certificate. Back in the day when I was doing programming/operations training on industrial measurement equipment I refused to sign a certificate if I did not think they should be operating the machines. The machines started @ ~$50,000 and ended well past a million. My name was not going to be on a piece of paper that said I certified them to be competent to operate/program if they couldn't.

Jake McCracken
06-29-2018, 07:27 PM
I am surprised that he got a certificate. Back in the day when I was doing programming/operations training on industrial measurement equipment I refused to sign a certificate if I did not think they should be operating the machines.

I'm certified to teach 7 NRA disciplines and certified as RSO. I only teach classes to friends and people they recommend to me for just that reason. I refuse to put my name on anyone's ignorance.

15meter
06-29-2018, 09:12 PM
I'm certified to teach 7 NRA disciplines and certified as RSO. I only teach classes to friends and people they recommend to me for just that reason. I refuse to put my name on anyone's ignorance.

Expect responsibility? The lawyers are going to come looking for you......

You can't refuse service for any reason.

Jake McCracken
06-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Expect responsibility? The lawyers are going to come looking for you......

You can't refuse service for any reason.

I sure hope that is sarcasm!

15meter
06-30-2018, 02:19 PM
I sure hope that is sarcasm!

From the very bottom of my cynical heart.