PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

buggybuilder
06-26-2018, 11:42 AM
A friend gave me 5 pcs of octagon shaped material. 3" across and about 1 1/2" thick. I think it may have originated from a plumber but not sure. Is this lead or ??
Thanks for any help.

dondiego
06-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Will need a picture.

Grmps
06-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Posting pictures using IMGUR
1 Go to https://imgur.com/
Select sign up
Fill out information or register with: facebook, twitter, Google+ or Yahoo account
Select new post, upload image, browse, select your image from your computer and click open
Hover mouse over your chosen name (top right toolbar) and select images
Left click on the image you want to post
Then click on COPY next to [BBCode (message boards & forums)]
Go to the post you want to put the image in, either right click and select paste or hit [Ctrl + V]
Save your post and you're done.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

billyb
06-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Used to see a lot of ingots of plumbers lead in that shape at Burgess hardware store in Tulsa Ok. It is most likely pure lead.

samari46
06-26-2018, 11:46 PM
I'd say pure lead. I have octagon, round and large ingot size think each one was 5lbs. All bought from a local scrap yard. The octagon ones were all connected by a tab which you broke according to what was needed. The round ones I got were separated same as the ingot ones. But suspect at one point were attached together. had the drainage waste pipe start leaking at my Mom's house. dug out the old badly corroded and oxidized lead and fired up an old plumbers pot and repoured the joint. luckily had a splicers ladle to do the job. Also used were oakum or lead wool. Joint was tight when my brother sold the house which was built around 1920. Frank

Lloyd Smale
06-27-2018, 07:23 AM
the oct. plumbers lead I had in the past was pretty much pure lead.

jsizemore
06-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Yep, plumbers lead. About pure.