PDA

View Full Version : C-96 Mauser aka broomhandle'

bouncer50
06-25-2018, 09:30 PM
I am planning to send it to a company call Redmans to have a new barrel liner put in. Has anyone had work done by him. I am having bullet go sideways to the target. Yep shot out barrel like a few I have looked at.

tim338
06-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Years ago my father had his broomhandle relined by them. It turned out nice and it shoots well.

bosterr
06-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Yep, I had my 1897 vintage Marlin '94 relined by them. Top rate work.

beagle
06-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Had a friend in college back in the 60s that had one. Really nice condition. The fully auto model with the wooden holster/shoulder stock. I've often wondered over the years if that thing got registered or survived. Rough finish on them but interesting weapons. Saw a couple in captured weapons caches on Viet Nam but never got my hands on one./beagle

TCLouis
06-26-2018, 12:42 AM
Anyone know how much they charge to reline the barrel?
Outfit in FL used to advertise in the old "Gun List" was pretty reasonable and I dilly - dallyed long enough that they are no longer in business.
Mine is essentially a smooth bore so I plan to go to 9mm . . . I think

bosterr
06-26-2018, 06:15 AM
The web site says $195. plus $20 return shipping.

Bulldogger
06-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Randy did a bbl for me a few years ago. I called first to check he was taking them in, and recommend that to you versus just mailing it in. That way he was accepting of the job and took care of it right away. I got it back reasonably quick, and it was quality work. He will tweak the headspace if you also send the bolt assy.
BDGR

Thumbcocker
06-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Always wanted to shoot one of those.

Texas by God
07-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Always wanted but never got a C96 Mauser. I'm envious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

asmith80
07-03-2018, 09:53 AM
I've got one in 30 Mauser that I sent off the The Luger Man to get refinished and the barrel relined. He took a while to do the work, but it was a top notch job when I got it back. They're cool to shoot, but I found them not the most comfortable after 20 or so rounds. Not sure if 9mm would be different

bob208
07-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I got one when a bunch came in from china. the outfit I got it from offered relining so I had it done. it shoots good hits where I aim it and never had a malfunction. it is a 1930 commercial.
when navy arms had a warehouse in WV. I picked up 2 more. a new safety and a bolo both of them need relined.
at that time

I was making brass out of .223. now starline has it. that is a lot easier then cutting forming reaming then loading. I use roundnose bullets from a lyman mold for the .32 s&w. also the Hornaday 100 gr. plinkers are good shooting. have used bullets for the .30 luger but I think are made of unotainum now.

smkummer
07-03-2018, 11:35 AM
I load ammo for another person’s 30 Mauser broomhandle with a stock. We are using Remington’s 93 grain FMJ bullet intended for the 30 Luger. It’s very comfortable and really accurate with the stock on. In fact, I have never fired it without the stock.

asmith80
07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Yeah, much more comfortable to shoot with one of the stocks. Those grips just bite my hand weirdly when I shoot without the stock

9.3X62AL
07-03-2018, 09:59 PM
I have one of the China imports that I got c. 1990 from Federal Ordnance. I had them reline the bore and clean up "the windows" a bit, and it came back in decent shape. It functions reliably, though its accuracy is a bit poetic. Still it has accounted for a couple dozen jackrabbits at respectable distances........when I am having a really good day while the jacks are having a really bad day. I did have to put up with jazz from my hunt partners--"What the hell is THAT?" "Hey, Al must be dating the Dragon Lady again!" Real comedians, that lot.

Of course, they all had to run at least a 10-shot stripper clip through the thing. I used 9mm Win Mag brass to create cases for the pistol, 500 of them. It was tedious, and I still have about 150 of them in service. It is a fun pistol, and I added a Chinese Type 54 Tokarev and a CZ-52 pistol in the 30 Mauser/7.62 x 25 to keep me entertained with the caliber. The round is a good varmint whacker, flat-shooting and high velocity. The CZ-52 is DARN ACCURATE, and 85 grain bullets can be run to 1600-1700 FPS safely in that modernistic-looking pistol. And LOUD? Boy, howdy. Plugs and muffs, both. AA-7 is the magic potion to make the 30 Mauser work well.