PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody make a good BP .416 mold?

Wayne Smith
11-28-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm thinking of a bullet for my 10.5x47 break open, and will be shooting the Holy Black in it. I'd be looking for a bullet in the 250-300 gr. weight range given that this is a rather small case. But I'll need one with lube grooves adequate for BP. Does anyone make one? I'm getting the Saeco catalog in their next mailing, and have only seen the Rapine pictures in the Buff Arms catalog. Don't know what else they make. The RCBS 416-350 is overly heavy and light on the lube grooves.

Bullshop
11-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Why not design your own and have Dan at Mt Molds cut it for you. You wont have to settle for something close to what you want, but you can get exactly what you want all for about $70.00 for a two cylender. Cant beat that anywhere.
BIC/BS

Wayne Smith
11-29-2005, 08:49 AM
A few years ago I looked at that program and came away totally fluximated. I didn't even know how to ask an intelligent question. It assumes that I know a lot of details that I didn't know existed or have any idea how to establish. Lot of balance point judgments where I have no idea where even a good balance would exist, much less an ideal one.

I'm looking at the NEI #230 as a canidate, but I'm not sure that the lube groove is adequate for BP use. That would be the #230 cut flat base, coming out about 270 gr. It has a decent meplat but could have another grease groove instead of the crimp groove given that I'm using it in a break open action.

Damn, this is the first time I've looked at their catalog! Mold of the week club iffin I could afford it!

45 2.1
11-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Wayne-
The simpleist way to try your rifle would be to paper patch up some heavy 41 mag cast. 9 lb onionskin will add .0075" to any 41 caliber slug.

Wayne Smith
11-30-2005, 08:31 AM
45 2.1

Yeah, a good idea except 1) I don't have a .41Mag and thus no bullets for it, and 2) I'm trying to stay away from using a lube cookie.

2) may be inevitable, however. How well do they work in a necked case?

45 2.1
11-30-2005, 08:53 AM
You may have to use a lube cookie anyway if you don't have enough lube capacity in the bullet you pick. PP works well in necked cases as long as the patched bullet doesn't hang down below the neck much. Buy some factory swaged 41 mag lead bullets and patch them to try.

Wayne Smith
11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Bite my tongue! I just won an eBay auction - Saeco 418F9K, seller didn't know anything more than I, so I bid thinking it was a .418 diameter. Then, after my high bid was in, someone posted that it is a 220 gr .411 .41 Rem Mag bullet!

A little light, but a start. Yeah, if it is a .411 I'll paper patch it - a first for me. If the rifle shoots it it will make a good deer bullet. I'll have to find a .41 Mag case to sharpen up to cut the lube cookie with, no? Or maybe sharpen up one of my .41LC cases. Think I'd rather sacrifice a found case that I won't mistake for anything else, though.

FAsmus
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
[B]Go to NEI's site. They have a 416-290-GC design that might be worth looking at.

Good afternoon,
Forrest