PDA

View Full Version : Presses///

shooter2
03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
For testing rifle loads I usually have two, three, or four different powder weights for one bullet and five (to seven rounds) for each. Therefore, it would be convenient to be able to switch quickly and easily from the sizing die to the bullet seating die to the crimp die between each group of five. So, I've been thinking about replacing my Lyman single stage press with either a Redding T7 or the Bonanza Coax.

Anyone have the same inclination. Or, has anyone experience with either of these presses? :roll: Thanks...

Safeshot
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Shooter2, Have you considered simply getting another single station press. For a rifle 2 die set, the two presses will allow both dies to "stay in a press". A press with a simple linkage (not a compound linkage) is usually adequate or in some cases perferred for bullet seating. Single station simple linkage presses are usually readily available, both new and used.

utk
03-31-2005, 03:47 PM
You might try a RCBS Rock Chucker or a Lee Classic Cast with the removable bushing. Then you can use the Hornady Lock n' Load system. In the press, you screw in the special bushing instead of the standard threaded bushing. On each die, you replace the regular lockring with Hornady's special Lock n' Load Lock - ring. (Of course you can buy Hornady's single stage press as well, but I think it is aluminium).

I have the Bonanza which is a very fine press, but the shellholder jaws sometimes require turning over when changing calibers. And the yoke doesn't allow a long rifle micrometer seater die. And Lee's bullet sizer plunger doesn't fit the jaws at all, neither does the bullet collector fit on top of the sizing die because of the yoke which swings over the center line.

Forster sell a shellholder plate which enables you to use your regular shellholder (or a Lee plunger), but then you have to unscrew the die because the shellholder plate is higher than the jaws. And my .38/.357 seating dies can't be unscrewed enough.

So, If I wanted the flexibility you ask for, I would today consider the Hornady system. Or the Redding T7, a turret head is quick to change. (Compare the price for a turret head vs. seven Hornady Ln'L lock rings).

utk

carpetman
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Shooter2---When I had the worst job I have ever had in my life(another post) working food stamp/welfare case work,I noticed there was one guy that stayed caught up with his work. All the others seemed bogged down. I asked him his secret. He said work one file at a time. I noticed that those that seemed the worst bogged down would have files all over their desk. From your description would seem you could work all your cases up to the point of bullet seating. Even those with different powder charges could be seperated on your reloading blocks. Then seat the bullets and store the various power loads however you store them to keep them seperated. I might be missing something,but I don't understand all the switching back and forth.

utk
03-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Here is an article which describes Hornady's Lock n' Load system in a RCBS Rock Chucker:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar37.htm

C1PNR
04-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Man, shooter2, I do a LOT of 5 round test loads, too. But, in the interest of consistency, I always prepare ALL the brass I'll need well in advance. Trim to length, chamfer case mouth, etc.

Get yourself another single stage press. The RCBS Jr. or equivalent should be available for not too much dinero. Then it's easy to use one press for seating and the other for crimping. Even an old "C" style press (that's not too badly sprung :wink: ) would work fine for seating.

A progressive is great for production, but the single stage still has it's place for me, and that's in the test phase (which seems to be most of my work lately).

imashooter2
04-01-2005, 06:36 AM
That's the way I do it too. I prep all my brass at once and then put in primer, powder and ball as required. Makes it easier to keep track of how many loads a particular batch has on it as well as just being a more efficient way to process cases on a single stage.

shooter2
04-01-2005, 08:48 AM
I guess I left too much room for assumtions. All my brass IS prepped before I start loading. Fully prepped and primed. Now, assume that I want to load fifteen cases with one bullet, but three different powder weights. I dump the lowest weight first. Then seat the bullets to the correct OAL. Those five rounds go into the case which is labeled. Then I drop the next lowest weight and seat those bullets. Etc. Then I go back and crimp them all (crimping as a separate step is far better than seating and crimping in one step). Finally, I wipe them all down with a clean rag. I have avoided the possibility of getting the weights mixed up.

Now, if I wanted to do this with one bullet, but three different powders of three weights each I find myself changing dies a lot. Is it a heavy burden? Of course not. However, I am always on the search for a better way to do something and I wondered if anyone used a T7. I guess I've discarded the Bonanza as I did not realize the problems with shell holders and die adjustments. Thanks for the insights on that. If I went with a T7 I would never have more than one head for it. As a single stage press my Lyman is fine.

carpetman
04-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Shooter2--When I am working up loads, I usually do 5 rounds of each powder charge. I throw the lowest weight charges first and place those 5 on the left hand side of my loading blocks(I use loading blocks that are 10 rows x5 rows) (I made the blocks and will make another post of how). I then move up to the next weight and charge those 5,placing them in the second row or better yet,skip a row. This is continued until all charges thrown. LEAVE 10th ROW EMPTY or last several rows empty if you are not doing enough to fill your blocks. That way you can easily tell which was your starting row even if you turn the blocks around. Really don't see any reason it gets turned as you can leave it setting same spot. Once all charges thrown,start seating your bullets and if you are going to go back and crimp,just place each case back into the empty hole in the block(hole you took it out of)that way they remain separated the way you charged them. Then as you do your final step(crimping)they can again be placed back into the loading blocks or directly into whatever you store them in. You never left your stool. You change dies once. Bullet seating and crimping. I don't see how a second press would speed you up any. Might slow you down as you may have to move your stool.

MGySgt
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
When working up a load with different weights and or powder I found I have to use a Sharpie pen to write on the case what is in it. If all the same powder, just the weight, if different powders I write it there too.

I load all I am going to load keeping them seperate in the loading block and then seat them all.

Never had a problem keeping the seperate in the loading block but one time a long time ago my son decided to help me load the rounds into the bullet box. I couldn't tell which round was which. He was about 7 at the time and the only place I had to load was the kitchen table, I got up to get a cup of coffee and the next thing I knew he had them in the box.

BD
04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Shooter2, I just bolted down a Lyman turret to my new "official" reloading bench. I got it for free through a series of buy and swap deals and I bought an extra turret head so I could set up all the dies for 4 calibers and leave them set. I'm going to start using it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes. The first possible drawback I see is that there is some minimal play in the turret to allow it to rotate. I'll have to keep a close on on the run out produced. This press shares the bench with a rockchucker and an older Pro-Jector progressive which is permanently set up for volume .45 acp. If I was a rich man I'd have bolted down a Harrells instead. However the free Lyman won out over the $275 Harrells for some reason. BD

Ross
04-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Shooter2,
When I'm into changing dies frequently I use my Bonanza Co-Ax.
For most loading situations it works well, and is the easiest quick change I have used. I haven't used the LnL as the cost of the bushings would be prohibitive in my circumstance.
I can change a die as fast as I can insert a new cartridge in the shellholder.
I can not imagine having only one or two presses.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

fourarmed
04-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Shooter2, you won't regret getting a turret press, and the Redding looks like a much better press than the others commonly available. I have two Lyman Spar-Ts on my bench that I use exclusively for seating dies. Very handy.

Bret4207
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I use the Co-Ax and am very happy with it. It's a very solid and strong press. I'm not entirely thrilled with the shell holder set up, but I bought mine used and am not sure it's working right . I have more work to do with it. I also have an old RCBS I use for Lee sizing, priming with a Ram Prime (slow, gotta get a better system), and everything else. I have a Lee O frame that I broke through abuse and haven't fixed yet. Worked great before that. If room isn't an issue I'd get as many of the cheap Lee presses as you wanted. One or two good big cast preses and a couple Lee's would work fine. If space is an issue the Redding Turret looks nice or the Co-Ax. I wonder how long the various Lock and Load type stuff will be around. Ask the guys looking for Herters shell holders or parts for a Potter press feel about that.

Char-Gar
04-09-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a Redding turrent pressing and it works perfectly. I have zero complaints about it.