PDA

View Full Version : You guys aren't nice

foesgth
06-22-2018, 07:40 PM
First of all I want you folks to know I don't like you. About a year ago I was rear ended by a big rig. I was stopped and he was playing with his phone. I broke most of my ribs along with 4 fractures in my back. Poor me. That however is not what this is about. I spent a month in the hospital, got enough hardware installed on my spine to build a bridge. Upon my release I had to spend 6 months in a brace. Well, for those of you who have never had to do this it is boring! So, Cast Boolits to the rescue. I read the stickies. I read all about lubes and coatings, I read about loads for military rifles, I looked at all the funny stuff in the pit. Now, up to that point I only loaded for pistol and rifle. No shotgun for me. I'm not that dumb. They are just too cheap at Walmart. But, I was bored. So I started reading this stupid casting for shotgun section. I hope you evil people are happy. These are my first slugs. I just ordered a mount for the Mec loader I got at the gun club swap meet. Oh boy, what have you done to me?
I made these with a load from BPI. Lee 7/8 slug, 24.1 grains Red Dot, BPI PT1205 wad. I roll crimped it with a crimper from SlugRUs.

Oh crud, I'm hooked. I hope you are happy!!!

MyFlatline
06-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Just wait til you start dripping your own shot....Glad you were able to get the addition.

leadhead 500
06-22-2018, 07:57 PM
All I can say is you will become so addicted to making slugs and building some great loads. You done a outstanding job on your loads and those roll crimps look amazing

Hogtamer
06-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Hah! Another victim, uh, ur, junkie.....uh welcome to BIG Lead! Yes we weigh our lead in ounces! Hint: with all that hardware in your back don't listen to Bikerbeans unless someone's there who knows how to put all those pieces back where they belong! Or Bloodtrail. Or supermegamagnum. Or Leadhead 500. Claim disability before loading slugs over 1 1/2 ounces.

foesgth
06-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Hah! Another victim, uh, ur, junkie.....uh welcome to BIG Lead! Yes we weigh our lead in ounces! Hint: with all that hardware in your back don't listen to Bikerbeans unless someone's there who knows how to put all those pieces back where they belong! Or Bloodtrail. Or supermegamagnum. Or Leadhead 500. Claim disability before loading slugs over 1 1/2 ounces.

Yes, this is going to be a problem. I guess I need to put a socket set in the truck to tighten my back. There is that problem you don't know about. When I open the safe there sits my fathers 10ga staring at me. I wonder just how strong those rods in my back are...?

Hogtamer
06-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Don't think there are any better people in the factory rifles forum either. This week I acquired nice coated 9mm bullets, brass, dies, small pistol primers and powder to load. My plan is to tell my wife, "look at all these boolits I've got. I just gotta buy that Ruger PC9 carbine now so they won't go to waste." I'll let you know how that goes. So yeah, lay down with dogs, get up with fleas!

leadhead 500
06-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Ohhhh, 10 gauge that’s a whole new world in the slug and buckshot game. I load hundreds of 3.5 inch 10 gauge with number 4 buck and 000 buck a year and they will for sure take you to your limits on the back end

bikerbeans
06-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Yes, this is going to be a problem. I guess I need to put a socket set in the truck to tighten my back. There is that problem you don't know about. When I open the safe there sits my fathers 10ga staring at me. I wonder just how strong those rods in my back are...?

I know a guy that has a mold that casts 1.7 oz fullbore hollowbase 10ga slugs. :wink:

BB

nagantguy
06-22-2018, 09:44 PM
This seems contagious; a fellow member and friend and neighbor has been bitten by this casting for shotguns, and looking at some of his work got me thinking; which is dangerous! A few years back my buddy offered to sell me one of his shotgun presses; we will be going to the coon dog trials together in September.....

BNE
06-22-2018, 10:28 PM
I just made that same load from the BPI manual. Shoots nice, Not terrible on the shoulder. And yeah, this stuff is addicting.

megasupermagnum
06-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Yeah, don't go into the rifle area. Then you get into alloys with copper, different lubes, different gas checks, nose sizing. Do you lube just one groove or two?

I never found rifle shooting fun at all.

fast ronnie
06-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Bad enough on the Forum, but a week ago I went over to my next door neighbor's place to get a piece of sheet metal for shielding a turkey frier burner and came home with a Hornady 366 press. I've spent about half the week cleaning and adjusting. Got the smelting done the next day, though.

copdills
06-23-2018, 12:47 AM
welcome to the madness LOL, your slugs look super

bangerjim
06-23-2018, 12:52 AM
Should a stayed in bed!

NAAAAAAAA.

Glad you are doing better.

And glad you are joining us “casting fools” !

Bangerjim

Buckshot
06-23-2018, 02:16 AM
...............foesgth, I simply wanted to add my welcome to the board along with a wish and a prayer for your continued healing. But yes, sometimes guys around here can be 1st class instigators. It may add to your capabilities, but can also have serious effects on your time and bank account.

I'd been reloading shotshells for several years. Just simple 'Claybird loads' to casually shoot with buddies at hand thrown clay birds out on some property in the sticks. Next thing (similar to you and slugs) I thought it would be fun to shoot slugs. Not that I have a legitimate, real honest to God NEED for doing so, but there ya go. So after seeing the "Hull Vise" that BPI sells ............ well heck, I decided to make one. Before that I bought a rifled 20" 12ga bbl for my Mossberg M500:

http://www.fototime.com/16631A06A990AA5/standard.jpg

It's a bit over engineered, but I had the material :-) I ended up buying both the Lee slug moulds. But one thing leads to another and decided to make myself a slug mould too!

http://www.fototime.com/2AE52A0A0A64860/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/EA6CBE1EF182084/standard.jpg

After machining the blocks, I set them up in the lathe to bore the cavity. And the finished cavities.

http://www.fototime.com/4CE53584CE93E4D/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/8AA949CD5B29C6F/standard.jpg

I set it up for a captive core pin like the Lee types. The left photo is obviously the bottom view.

http://www.fototime.com/8303120BB3ED705/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/B64AAA33A9F0150/standard.jpg

This is the slug it drops. It weighs 525 grs so it's a bit less then an ounce and a quarter.

http://www.fototime.com/FB5DFCCCFE50CA0/standard.jpg

This is a scrap slug I drove through the barrel. I loaded 2 rounds for a test, and the only thing ever hit with the slug was a 2 liter pop bottle full of water at 20 yards. Great fun! That was a couple years ago, and I haven't cast or loaded any since. Other stuff seems to get in the way.

http://www.fototime.com/B14C8C7293C3501/standard.jpg

The above is a Lyman 12 ga slug mould I altered for a guy maybe 15 years ago or so. He wanted to fire it through a rifled barrel and wanted it to be 'Fatter', so it got some drive bands added. This was early in my machining career and I screwed it up. He was wanting only 3 bands so it would carry more lube. Gotta mind those decimal places and pay attention twirling the handles! However he was apparently happy with it as he said it worked, and that's what counts in the end.

...............Buckshot

GhostHawk
06-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Nailed him, hook line and sinker! Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

Enjoy brother!

FYI I run almost exactly that same slug load. I went a couple of grains lighter on powder.
More of a tactical load. Easier on old shoulders. Still easy to put together. And I am going to throw in a <Salute> to the good people at BPI!

foesgth
06-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Oh sure Mr. Buckshot. If you have a lathe, milling machine and talent you can whip something like that out in no time. It takes a true shade tree talent to make a high tech device like I use. Plywood and hunks of inner tube high tech.

sniper
06-23-2018, 03:38 PM
I FEEL your pain!:mrgreen:

centershot
06-23-2018, 07:20 PM

As a registered nurse who has spent more than a little bit of time working the rehab unit, let me tell you, "You don't want to find out! Play nice!"

Rcmaveric
06-23-2018, 08:51 PM
As a registered nurse who has spent more than a little bit of time working the rehab unit, let me tell you, "You don't want to find out! Play nice!"

The pluss side of reloading. Back off the slug weight and charge until you can handle it. My wife has back problems (no where near those problems thought) and i have low recoil loads for her so she can play skeet with me.

bikerbeans
06-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Oh sure Mr. Buckshot. If you have a lathe, milling machine and talent you can whip something like that out in no time. It takes a true shade tree talent to make a high tech device like I use. Plywood and hunks of inner tube high tech.

Got ya beat! I use channel locks with blue painters tape over the teeth.

BB

gpidaho
06-24-2018, 11:18 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/c5e930b0f3f247f295f6addf3a623a32.jpgBeing an old carpenter there must be a wooden solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
06-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Man what a bunch a rednecks here. First they can't afford no real gun using them ol shotguns to kill stuff with. Then there's that coon hunting bunch, never seen none of them fellers with all their teeth and always plenty of 'bacca juice on their chins. And the guy who uses that cheep painter tape on their pliers when the folks with real money use only the best duck tape an plenny of it roun the jaws of them pliers for roll crimpin and such. I do kinda alike that wood contraption tho, could lite my stove with it inna pinch. You mite outta git on bak to that rifle section whur they know about balitik coinventions and moas and the like. jest what is a moa anyhow, some kinda snake? I hear they gottem bad in Florida and come to think on it a good scattergun ud be the best choice so maybe ypu outta hang aroun.

Hardcast416taylor
06-24-2018, 12:07 PM
I also know what it feels like to be unable to do many things due to the workings of Dr. Frankenstein. I was already a lead caster for quite a few calibers. A friend told me I should try reverse casting. I asked what that was, he replied `Try casting your own wheel weights complete with clips and dirt`! I threw a magazine at him.Robert

MOA
06-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Man what a bunch a rednecks here. First they can't afford no real gun using them ol shotguns to kill stuff with. Then there's that coon hunting bunch, never seen none of them fellers with all their teeth and always plenty of 'bacca juice on their chins. And the guy who uses that cheep painter tape on their pliers when the folks with real money use only the best duck tape an plenny of it roun the jaws of them pliers for roll crimpin and such. I do kinda alike that wood contraption tho, could lite my stove with it inna pinch. You mite outta git on bak to that rifle section whur they know about balitik coinventions and moas and the like. jest what is a moa anyhow, some kinda snake? I hear they gottem bad in Florida and come to think on it a good scattergun ud be the best choice so maybe ypu outta hang aroun.

Somebody mention my name??? I thought so Hogtammer.....up to ya'll shanaganns agin huh. Now don't go listenin to him, he'll get ya spending more money for stuff instead of just buyin more tape and coat hangers to get r done..

Well welcome aboard, you will never be bored here that's for sure, and those slugs in Fiocchi hulls sure look just fine, great looking shells.

Blood Trail
06-26-2018, 05:48 AM
You Only Live Once....YOLO, baby....:D

Nothing better than chunking large boulders of lead off your shoulders.

Blood Trail
06-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Buckshot, I am impressed with your work. That DYI slug mold looks very interesting.

*HINT-HINT

MOA
06-26-2018, 06:03 AM
Ya Buckshot, I'm always looking for new slugs to try out. Lol

Smoke4320
06-26-2018, 01:33 PM
I must be weird or something . for roll crimping I use a drill press and crimp the shell between my thumb and forefinger .. When The shell starts to spin I release the finger pressure.. the clear overshot card is tight and the slugs shoot and group fine

foesgth
06-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Smoke can hold things we mere mortals cannot. That comes from shooting a Nuke50. I built my wooden clamp because I am going bat poop crazy waiting for the Drs. to release me to normal life(as normal as any CastBoolit member can be). When I go to the Doc I ask him am I OK to do "stuff". He says, yes. SWMBO then tells the Doc to ask me what normal is for me. I then proceed to tell him about the diesel engine I need to put back in my other truck etc. Guys, in today's world we are not normal. Isn't life fun here at the CastBoolit asylum?

centershot
06-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Ya gotta luv Hal!

45-70 Chevroner
06-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Don't let those Game Wardens over there in kalifornia catch you shooting geese with those slugs, they will through you in jail for poisoning them.

Hogtamer
06-26-2018, 06:58 PM
I just realized that poor foesgth is from the formerly great state of California so he migh be breaking some law even talking about lead boolits. But fear not, ole Hogtamer has got you covered. That beautiful element Zinc they cuss over in those evil rifle forums make fine projectiles: ZLUGS! 477 grn .731 full bore boolits a fellow can move at near 1700 fps safely out of your rifled 12 ga through goose, gander, condor or batmobile.

Hogtamer
06-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Truly the shotgun loading has been kinda slow lately and those evil factory rifle forum people are having their way with me. I have a plan to load all these little lipstick boolits amd show 'em to the wife in hopes she'll think they're cute as can be. That's when I plan on suggesting I need one of those cute little Ruger PC9 carbines to shoot 'em in. I mean honey, i've got bullets and a real cute little red dot thingy already to match the bullets and it would be perfect to keep by the door for those durn coyotes you've seen in the driveway. Whadda ya think?

bikerbeans
06-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Dem painted boolits will make useful slugs once you warm them up to 750F. Hogtamer shooting PC 9mm boolits in a toy semi-auto, what's wrong with the world? Don't ya'll rat me out and tell Hal about my Camp 45.:-D

BB

gpidaho
06-26-2018, 10:37 PM
Love my little pistol caliber carbines. Just like playing squirtguns when we were kids. On the rifle threads you can post as Hogannoyer. LOL Seriously, the pistol caliber carbines are a Hoot and powder coated bullets run through them slick as. They will keep you busy casting and coating. Gp

Mr_Sheesh
06-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Camp 45 looks interesting. Definitely agreed that they're enablers for our addictions to Lead-base stuff etc. - And the first dose isn't even free! Unless you get it as a PIF, anyways. But at least they'll help you refine your addictions :) Definitely nice looking slugs.