PDA

View Full Version : A truly dumb question

sutherpride59
06-22-2018, 04:42 AM
Ok forgive me but I’ve been up since midnight at work and I had a great/stupid idea. If I mix some essential oils in with my Felix lube y’all think it will make it smell nice when I shoot? The guys at my USPSA matches would get a kick if every time I shoot it smells like pine trees or cinnamon lol. I know it’s dumb but I figure why not. I’m using Felix lube by the way.

Rcmaveric
06-22-2018, 04:57 AM
I am trying it for my wife in Simple Lube. Smells good. Didnt notice it when shot but it did lead. I think its just mineral oil infuse with smell good. wife wants me to keep tinkering with it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

sutherpride59
06-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Hahahah ���� I might have to hand lube 20 rounds and try it out with some Walmart smell good.

Rcmaveric
06-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Any oil base will work. I am using essential oil for candles.

gwpercle
06-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Use Bacon Grease.....you know how good frying bacon smells right !
The guys will appreciate bacon scent a whole lot more than pine tree.

sutherpride59
06-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Might try that with black powder :grin:

Nobade
06-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Patchouli oil in bullet lube is pretty funny. Gives it that hippie ambiance.

sutherpride59
06-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Just want it to smell pretty not get me lit lmao

robg
06-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Bacon grease would make me hungry .

am44mag
06-22-2018, 03:30 PM

I'm curious as to whether the salt in the bacon grease would cause any issues with being shot down a barrel. Corrosion wouldn't be an issue unless you just didn't clean the gun.

jdfoxinc
06-22-2018, 04:07 PM
A local bullet mfg. would buy the wax leaving of the candle maker next door and use it as the base for his lube till customers started complaining about his "stinkey" bullets.

redhawk0
06-22-2018, 05:10 PM
When my daughter was growing up...I added a brown crayon (just for color...add what you like) to my Felix lube...I have to say...the smell of crayon was pleasant to me. To this day, I still throw a crayon in my Felix lube and it reminds me of when my daughter was young. I'm now a grandpa...so it was a while ago.

redhawk

bangerjim
06-22-2018, 11:53 PM

Unless they are Muslims!

foesgth
06-23-2018, 01:29 AM
I used to pan lube. I had several "secret" lube mixes. I melted crayon to color them and keep them straight. Shooting the boolits was a trip back to 2nd grade art. I would just check to be certain that the oils are not corrosive.

William Yanda
06-23-2018, 06:04 AM
Ok forgive me but I’ve been up since midnight at work and I had a great/stupid idea. If I mix some essential oils in with my Felix lube y’all think it will make it smell nice when I shoot? The guys at my USPSA matches would get a kick if every time I shoot it smells like pine trees or cinnamon lol. I know it’s dumb but I figure why not. I’m using Felix lube by the way.

When you go to the range, carry a stick to discourage the clinging types.

longbow
06-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Funny bacon grease came up... been there, done that!

When I was much younger and loading BP into 12 ga. hulls under 0.690" RB's I used bacon grease for lube on wads. Didn't really need it for lube as there is way too much clearance but BP leaves awful nasty hard fouling without a softener so... we had lots of bacon grease so I tried it. Yes it did smell like breakfast when I shot.

I hear you about the salt but I cleaned after anyway so not an issue.

If a guy rendered the bacon fat down some you might get rid of the salt but I suspect you'd lose the smell too in a purified bacon grease. Then what would be the point? I doubt "bacon" has made it to essential oils.

Good luck in your quest for good smells!

Longbow

sutherpride59
06-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Hahahha this thread started as a mildly delirious way too tired dumb question but has been quite amusing the last few days. I’m working out some timing issues with a revolver but when I get it fixed I’ll make a range day with some good smell boolits and we will see what happens.

Rcmaveric
06-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Yeah my wife's trying to make the range smell like pixiele dust and hope.

sniper
06-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Bacon Grease? NOW you're talkin'! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sutherpride59
06-23-2018, 04:39 PM
I might try lavender as the essential oil and use cream of wheat with glitter as a filler :mrgreen:

stubshaft
06-23-2018, 04:55 PM
I just use some first processed beeswax and enjoy the smell when I shoot.

country gent
06-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Ive used cream of wheat as filler in my bigger BP cartridges to lighten them. Had several tell me it smelled like cereal when I shot. I mixed emertsup with bacon grease and guys were running to McDonalds. It may take more than the essential oils to carry the smell into the noticeable range.

Rcmaveric
06-23-2018, 06:02 PM
[emoji23][emoji23] Lavender is what my wife is making use.

You can smell it. Smell great when heating it to dip lube. Beats the pants of alox. Just cant smell when the trigger is pulled. Makes my hands smell good too.

Tom W.
06-26-2018, 04:36 PM
While wandering through Hobby Lobby with my wife earlier today I came upon some candle making stuff and noticed there were bags of fragrances... so you might look there if there's one within reasonable distance.....

While I was there I did pick up some small plastic containers to store boolits, all of my other things are full, and I can barely pick up my ammo can that I have been putting my cast boolits that are awaiting lubricant.

gwpercle
06-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Patchouli oil in bullet lube is pretty funny. Gives it that hippie ambiance.

Back in the 60's I ...how shall we say ....hung out with , this sweet young lady , who would burn Patchouli incense every night....that smell still brings back some fond memories after 50 years.

Gary

15meter
06-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Unless they are Muslims!

Or vegans[smilie=1:

john.k
06-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Aniseed was a cheap fragrance used in many things in the 60 s.......I remember a crowd used aniseed in the rat poison they used to make......aniseed and arsenic.

facetious
07-05-2018, 02:25 AM
citronella oil would help keep the bugs away.