PDA

View Full Version : Saw a snake ...

Wayne Smith
06-17-2018, 07:26 PM
the other day while walking through the back yard garden (small) to pick blueberries. Brown/tan striped lengthwise garter snake. he got out of my way quickly. I went on to pick. Came in later and told LOML about the snake. "Does he eat voles?" she asked. "If so, put him in the front yard!"

Solid sense of value there. I like snakes, she knows their value.

15meter
06-17-2018, 11:33 PM
It took decades to come to terms with snakes, when in was a youngster,< than 8, I hated them. Had to run the gauntlet down a lane in the marsh to visit my grandfather repairing his seine nets in the "twine" shed. Always snakes along the way.

Didn't get better driving tractor baling hay/marsh grass at 9 and watching the snakes(most) slither out of the windrow as it went into the baler.

Best memories of those days was watching my dad jumping off the wagon after he sunk his bale hook into a bale right next to the head of a snake that made it through the baler and was trapped in a bale and still wiggling.

Dad never razzed me about my dislike of snakes after that.:D:D:D

Mal Paso
06-18-2018, 03:54 PM
I have not seen one snake this year and the gophers were out of control until this guy showed up. He really likes gophers so I keep the weeds cut short and he sits in one of the trees and waits for dinner.

woodbutcher
06-18-2018, 05:17 PM
:lol: Hi Mal Paso.That picture could be titled"Guess Whos Coming To Dinner".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo