PDA

View Full Version : Stinky mistake

1Hawkeye
06-16-2018, 10:17 PM
I just though I would pass this one so someone else won't step in it.
I was smelting down some range scrap the other windy day and dropped in a single coated bullet into the pot. I figured no big deal they heat them to get the coating to cure on them so in it went. The next thing I knew OH BOY what a stink it hung around for a good 10 or 15 minutes no matter how much I fluxed or dross removal. The one time I didn't wear my respirator and it bit me in the butt with fangs.:roll:

Rcmaveric
06-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Yeah they smell like burning plastic for a bit. I just chunk em back into the casting pot. Wait till you sulfer flux. Now that is stinky

dikman
06-17-2018, 06:05 AM
I assume you're talking PC here?

bangerjim
06-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Most common respirators will do nothing for that......unless you are using a professional pure O2 breathing apparatus like firemen use!

Just grin and bare it. PC does not smell that bad. I do it all the time with no breathing apparatus at all. Just stand upwind.

Mr_Sheesh
06-17-2018, 02:19 PM
A fume hood would be a good fix for this :)

MaryB
06-17-2018, 11:33 PM
Stinky is a full pot of wheel weights the tire guys accidentally tossed an oil filter on top of and it drained into them...

Lloyd Smale
06-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Yup ive gotten pails of ww with an inch of dirty nasty oil and hundreds of tire stems and an couple hundred cigarette buts. Just stay down wind till it quits smoking!
Stinky is a full pot of wheel weights the tire guys accidentally tossed an oil filter on top of and it drained into them...

lightman
06-18-2018, 08:49 AM
I've never melted a powder coated bullet that I know about. But, like the others, it sounds a little mild compared to a 400# pot of dirty wheel weights! I live on a large lot, on the very edge of town, so smoke is not a big deal where I am at.

fredj338
06-18-2018, 03:14 PM
I routinely return a flawed coated, PC or HT, back to the pot. There is a smell, but it isn't bad, even if there are 6-8 bullets in there. I am fluxing with a wodden stick anyway, so burnt wood or a bit of plastic, no big deal.

DerekP Houston
06-18-2018, 03:56 PM
huh, I never stuck around long enough to smell my lead melting ;). I toss them all in the pot, crank the heat up, and watch from indoors with the a/c until the PID says I'm ready.