PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Earmuff

abunaitoo
06-16-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting one.
Looking for one with large soft ear cushions.
AAA or AA batteries.
Not to expensive.
Suggestions on what to buy????

osteodoc08
06-16-2018, 02:12 PM
After using electronic earmuffs for a while. I’ll never go back to a regular type. I currently use a Peltor Tactical series (500 I think) and LOVE them. If it’s somethinf that is loud I can still double up with plugs and crank the volume up and still hear range commands, conversation, etc.

fecmech
06-16-2018, 02:27 PM
I've been using Peltor Rangegards for sporting clays and am very happy with them. They only attenuate I think 23 DB so they might be a bit light for magnum pistols. They were $39. delivered from Amazon.

CastingFool
06-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Some of my buddies like the Howard Leigh impact sport muffs, but I read a report that they don't work all that well indoors, only outdoors. HL does make another model that works well indoors, but they are bulkier. Both run from $44-$50 on Amazon.

MyFlatline
06-16-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm cheap and bought a bunch of the Caldwells when they were 16.00, 80% of em are still doing good. The other 20% got exposed to quite a bit of concrete dust on one of my jobs. I learned they don't last in that environment.

Big Tom
06-16-2018, 03:53 PM
I got Howard Leight Impact Pro and they are really good for handgun shooting. For rifle, they are too bulky and get in the way when using a scope. The next ones will be less bulky, but for under $50 they were still a good buy as I mostly shoot handgun anyhow.

jmort
06-16-2018, 04:04 PM
+ whatever on the Howard Leight Impact
I paid around $40
Agree, good for handguns
Use the Hickok45 style plugs for rifles

Duckiller
06-16-2018, 04:26 PM
My current lab chewed my last set up before I got to use them. Be careful where you leave them. Recently found out that I am deaf as a post so foam plugs have worked for me. Take out the hearing aids and put in foam plugs. The electronic ear muffs are nice and help me hear while shooting. My have to learn to use them while hunting.

ShooterAZ
06-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Another thumbs up for the Howard Leight Impact muffs for handgun shooting. For rifle, I use the Peltor Tactical 6. Both have served me well.

DocSavage
06-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Peltor/3m tactical models pricey under $200 but work wellindoor or out and use 2AA batteries and have an auto shut off.

metricmonkeywrench
06-16-2018, 05:26 PM
+1 as well on the Howard Leight and Peltor Tactical 6. Both work well, the Howard's have an input jack for some tunes when shooting alone. The Peltor's earcups work separately an i have had cases where one side died and and the other still worked. I swapped the headband on one of my Peltor's for the around the neck type from a cheaper Peltor set.

Omega
06-16-2018, 05:35 PM
I have both, the Howard Leight and Peltors, they are both good, I prefer the Howard Leight's for hunting, their microphone picks up better and do good for one rifle report. But for a range, especially one with overhead cover, the Peltors do better, they react to better to lower level sounds (like snapping of fingers), and 'reset' faster for the next sound like the echo off the roof. If I had to have one only I'd pick the Howard Leights, and wear foam plugs underneath them at the range.

jdfoxinc
06-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Peltor behind the neck. I usually wear a hat. 4 AAA batteries, 2 each side. Separate on/off vol. So I can balance my hearing. (More Deaf left ear.) Do not leave them in your car, the ear pads warp and will never fit back in the muff body.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-16-2018, 08:59 PM
I have these and like them a lot https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Rick Hodges
06-16-2018, 09:09 PM
I use the Howard Leight and they seem to work well indoor or outdoor. I usually double up with plugs as well because there is a loss of seal around my eyeglass ear stems. I think they operate with a 9V battery. Price is right at $50. I can work around the bulkiness for bench work with a rifle, but for shotgun work I would try to find something less bulky.

mtnman31
06-16-2018, 09:55 PM
I've been using Peltor muffs. One pair belonged to work. They were an earlier model. They worked well but were almost too bulky for rifle shooting. Bought myself my own pair of their current model, Sport Tactical 100 muffs. They were under 50 bucks on eBay. They work great, fit my head comfortably, work well indoors and out, and whether shooting rifle or pistol. Highly recommended as they are a great value. Some of the pricey models are hyped up models that have features you likely won't need. Seriously, I don't need the ability to plug my muffs into an armored car's comm system...

crowbuster
06-16-2018, 10:07 PM
I like the walker quad muffs. Prices have come down but not sure of cost.

abunaitoo
06-17-2018, 04:27 AM
I use regular muffs, with rubber ear plugs.
I've found that I talk to loud with them on.
I never noticed.
Others did.
I'm guessing it's because I can't hear myself.
Think/hoping electronic muffs will help.
Peltor's are nice, but a little more than what I want to spend.
The Howard Leight on Amazon looks good, and it's on sale now.

winelover
06-17-2018, 06:56 AM
I have both the Peltor T-6 and T-7.............there is a world of difference between the two. The T-7's were my first pair and considerably more expensive. Both are over twenty years old. The 6's use four penlight's, the 7's use one 9 volt. Separate controls on the 6's,versus single on the seven. Sixes are thinner, less obtrusive.

The right side of the 6's has given up the ghost.......didn't die, just started squealing. Still usable, just removed the batteries from that side. Would I buy them again? Not a chance. Significantly, lower quality than the sevens, compared side by side.

Winelover

HABCAN
06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Howard Leight = great.

Smoke4320
06-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Howard Leight's great for outdoor pistol.
Cups are a little big for rifle shooting . cups hit stock interfere with good sight picture.
Peltor 6 or 7 much better for rifle but much more expensive

Right now i have caldwell (fairly useless. Buggy electronics, static at times)
Howard Leight, Peltor 6 and 7. The 7's get used more than any others because i shoot mostly rifles.

shooterg
06-23-2018, 06:40 PM
So far my 1st set, Walker, works well. I do double up with foam on "loud" days .

country gent
06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
I have used various electronic muffs for a few years now with good results. I like several aspects of them over standards or plugs.1) I can hear range commands and whats going on on the range. 2) I can hear myself and coach spotter much better 3) in some situations they improve my hearing allowing me to spot things going on.

I have lowered hearing in both ears due to gunfire and 30 years working in press rooms and tool rooms so the improvement they offer is a plus. A friend informed me I had an air leak in the line in my shop. I couldn't hear it "Naked" but the electronics muffs turned up allowed me to hear it and locate it with out checking every joint.
Squirrel hunting they also allow me to hear more and better.

I prefer softer ear pads and smaller cups as Im primarily a rifle shooter and those older big cups never allowed me a good cheek weld on the stock or proper head position especially with the iron sights on the service rifles.

You get what you pay for in these. the cheaper ones may have some static and or squeals at times, but to work. The more expensive ones do a better job of filtering out background noises like wind. Some of the early ones I used were distracting on a windy day. My current ones are a set of peltors and they do very good at letting conversation thru but also filter out most back ground and gunfire.

06-23-2018, 07:20 PM
I've gone through several brands. Right now I've got Peltor's. Like 'em. Looking for another set. These Howard Leight's look good. Keeps my ears warm when hunting, too.

DCP
06-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Teal (R-02521)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB15S1Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jimlj
06-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Howard Leight.
I like them outside shooting pistol. I can't shoot rifle or shotgun with them, too bulky.
The worst pain/ringing in the ears I have ever had was shooting inside and the leakage around my glasses. The only time I'll use them inside now is with foam earplugs.

David2011
06-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Howard Leight for me as well. I shoot handguns and rifles with them but they aren't friendly to the AR-15 stock for sure. I'm sure the kinds of stocks I use have something to do with why they work for me. They're great for hunting, too. My buddy and I both wear them and we can whisper back and forth but hear each other like we're talking in a normal voice. The deer and pigs have never acted like they heard us.

Reverend Al
06-24-2018, 07:20 PM
I bought 3 sets of cheap Caldwell electronic muffs for "loaners" and keep them in the truck for when we take new shooters to the range. I bought a set of Walker muffs on special and use those for myself ... like them a LOT better than the cheap Caldwell versions.

DCM
06-24-2018, 08:19 PM
I have an older pair or Peltor 6s and like them, fairly slim. I also bought a pair of Caldwellls when they were on sale for cheap, don't care much for them they are bulky.
Looking at the Howard lights I may try a pair of them.

I often use my electronic muffs when hunting as they help with my "marked" hearing loss and keep my ears warm.

abunaitoo
06-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Ordered a Howard Leight from Amazon.
On sale with free shipping.
Hope it's as good as everyone says.

Hossfly
06-27-2018, 11:05 PM
Bought 3 sets at Harbor Frt for $9.00 per set been working good for 3 years, Corgy dog chewed wires on 1 set, dang those wires are small, finally got stripped and soldered back to working order they work very well.

mjwcaster
06-28-2018, 01:18 PM
I have the Howard leight impact.
They work ok for shooting, I normally muff and stuff(foam ear plugs underneath the ear muffs) since they don’t have the highest noise reduction.
For mowing the grass all they do is amplify the sound of the mower, also means the audio input jack is useless for the times I would use it.
I just use regular ear muffs for tasks other than shooting.
For the price they are not bad, but I would like something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dagger dog
06-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Peltor T6 they are thin at the bottom to aid in mounting rifle or shotgun. Caldwell's that are rather bulky but the sound sensing circuit is a little faster than the Peltors I also have some in the ear types that work well and are about 12-15 dollar range from wally world, I also use the regular finned in the ear with the muffs.

Stan_TN
06-29-2018, 09:44 AM
I do like the Howard Leights myself. But, anyone in this thread use the small ones that insert in the ear? I know they can be pricey....but in the Memphis heat, using the Howard Leights get pretty hot during long range visits. Outdoor range that is. But they do work very well.

oldred
06-29-2018, 10:34 AM
No more Walkers for me, wasted well over a hundred dollars on them and the volume will not turn up near high enough.The volume must be turned to full blast just to get normal hearing level and if soft ear plugs are used the volume will not turn up high enough to hear over them. It's not just me, my wife who has perfect hearing also has them set full volume as does my son when he tried them. The Howard Leights he has are WAAAAAY better and when I tried them I could use soft plugs in addition and still turn up the volume enough to hear normal conversation. When I complained and returned those things for repair they sent them back and said they were working normally, I tried another set of the same ones and they do indeed do exactly the same thing! Even full blast they are not loud enough even for folks with normal hearing and for me they may as well be non-electronic muffs.

The Howard Leights like my son has are going to be my next purchase, they work!

evoevil
06-29-2018, 06:10 PM
I like my cadwell , they work good

abunaitoo
06-29-2018, 10:58 PM
It came in today.
Thank you Amazon.
I'll try them this Sunday.

trebor44
06-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Having used Peltor, Caldweld and Howard Leights, I tend to favor the latter. Muff size is a factor in usage and noise reduction. I would suggest using an ear plug on the side that meets the stock of you rifle. The first time the muffs shifts or 'opens' up will convince you of the need for additional hearing protection. Indoors and outdoor usage is also a factor. I like the electronics because they can be used to 'enhance' your normal hearing range (think game sounds or intruder). The peltors were awesome in this respect. The non electronics may have a higher decibel rating but they also muffle the 'normal' sounds.

abunaitoo
06-30-2018, 08:48 PM
I always have plugs in along with the muffs.

johnho
07-01-2018, 12:02 PM
I got a pair of these this year and hate them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U5ODJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 No way are these 25nrr. should have stayed with the MSA Sordins like my last pair. Bought the other ones based on NRR rating, big mistake.

barrabruce
07-01-2018, 01:07 PM
I bought a pair of peltors and use them for everything.
The adjustable volume as opened up a new level of hearing sensation for me.
I have also bought some fitted earplugs to shoot at the range.
The combo worked well when I went there last time to test things out.

I’d buy the pair that is the most comfortable and that you will wear all the time.
Combined with fitted plugs I can’t hear much at all.
It may keep whatever hearing I got left a bit longer.
Going out for meal is annoying when all the voices are non seperatable anymore.

abunaitoo
07-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Tried them yesterday.
They worked OK.
First tried them with ear plugs in.
Was OK.
Took the plugs out and noticed the thin pads didn't keep all the sound out.
I wear glasses.
Tried to reposition them for a tighter fit, but the pads are just to thin.
One thing I did notice is I can hear lots of noise.
I sent them an email to see if the had thicker pads.

abunaitoo
07-18-2018, 10:53 PM
Well, I send them four emails asking about thicker ear pads.
Not one reply.
How hard is to to reply????
Seems their customer service is not so great.
I'll not buy another from them.
Will be suggesting to others the same.
Word of mouth, beats advertising every time.

Tripplebeards
07-18-2018, 11:25 PM
I bought a couple pair of razor slim patriot editions. I still wear ear pugs under them and can hear plain as day with them on.

DCP
07-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Well, I send them four emails asking about thicker ear pads.
Not one reply.
How hard is to to reply????
Seems their customer service is not so great.
I'll not buy another from them.
Will be suggesting to others the same.
Word of mouth, beats advertising every time.

This is really too bad. spent about 35.00 for these and wants custom ear muffs.

I just love mine

Handloader109
07-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Glasses (of any sort) DO reduce effectiveness of ANY muff. you open up small channels for sound. Softer/thicker pads help with this as they can contour around the frames, but no matter, they do reduce effectiveness. But you should wear Protective glasses too. If it is too loud, ear plugs in addition to muff. I've an older Peltor brand I bought for Woodworking and love them. Cheap pair of Caldwell from Cabelas work decent also, lighter and thinner but enough reduction for most of our shooting.

red67
07-20-2018, 12:43 AM
They do make replacement silicon gel ear cups for the Howard Leight Impact Sports.

They work great, but Unfortunately they cost as much as the ear muffs!

abunaitoo
07-20-2018, 01:39 AM
The problem is not it's sealing.
I were plugs along with the muffs.
The pads are to thin for me.
I guess my ears stick out to much.
On the right side, my ear is pressing on the hard plastic frame.
I was going to grind it down, but was hoping they had thicker pads.
Left side is OK.
I'm guessing Lopsides ears.
I think thicker pads would solve the problem.
But they didn't even bother to reply.
I sent four emails on four different days.
I'm sure they must have gotten at least one of them.
Not on reply.
Even if they said they didn't have thicker pads, I'd have been satisfied.
They had four chances, in baseball you only get three strikes.