PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Mystery Oil

Bazoo
06-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Any one else use Marvel Mystery Oil? I used to roll my eyes at the folks that would tell me about their favorite fuel additives. Wifes daddy told me about MMO and I value his opinion on mechanic stuff so I started with it.

I run it in my fuel, and It gives me better fuel economy and better running. I have run it in my oil, but I havent run it long enough in my oil to notice a difference. For that, I prefer Lucas, but Im running the MMO in my generators oil.

When I first started using MMO in my cars fuel, I noticed it idled a little better, and started having better pickup. It gave me about 2 more MPG though when I checked it. I started running it in my generator, and a tank of fuel lasts almost twice as long, and it runs better.

I started running MMO in my lawn mowers fuel and it runs better and the fuel lasts longer by a long shot.

Anyone else like it?

Outpost75
06-10-2018, 10:57 PM
OK, but over rated. Does help older, high mileage vehicles. Great if you have an old IH cornbinder or pre fuel-injected F100, but I see no benefit in modern computerized, fuel injected engines.

On the genny, what was the load demand on both tests?

Double the run time is fantasy. With my 22kw Generac at 50% duty cycle about 1.5-1.6 gph in LPG is normal

jmort
06-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Lucas for the oil and Sea Foam and PRI for small engine fuel.

Bazoo
06-10-2018, 11:04 PM
What is PRI? I tried seafoam once, but wasnt impressed. Tried it in the fuel.

mdr8088
06-10-2018, 11:27 PM
My old Tecumseh powered lawn mower is 34 years old. Dad started me using MMO when I was in the 5 th grade. He also said most politicians are crooked. The guy was never wrong... lol

smokeywolf
06-10-2018, 11:32 PM
I will occasionally add a quart to the crankcase in the wife's truck a couple of days before an oil change. Think I'll have to try it in the fuel on one of the cars that we just resurrected from sitting for 6 years.
I remember Dad always had one or two quarts on the shelf.

Loudenboomer
06-10-2018, 11:49 PM
MM in the fuel helps valve guides and seats in older vehicles designed for leaded fuel. Seafoam has saved a lot of chain saw, weed whackers and mower carburetors for me.

jmort
06-10-2018, 11:52 PM
PRI is a fuel stablizer. The best in my opinion.

bstone5
06-11-2018, 01:00 AM
I use MM with my lapping compound while lapping a barrel. The oil thins out the lapping compound and makes pushing the lapping rod easier.
Lap a lot of 22 RF barrels to make them shoot better at the target, a lot smaller groups with the small tapper in the barrel.

Bazoo
06-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Cool info bstone5

Minty smell while lapping a barrel ever distract ya?

Bookworm
06-11-2018, 06:19 AM
I mix MMO in the fuel for my mowers (note use of plural). I also premix Lucas fuel treatment in the same fuel.
Does it help ? Dunno, but it makes me feel better.

I also occasionally put 6 ounces or so in the gas powered cars around here.
Does it help? Dunno, but it makes me feel better.

elmacgyver0
06-11-2018, 07:13 AM
I pretty much stay away from all the "snake oils" after ruining a Ford Ranger with some teflon additive.
After a while the teflon coating broke down and clogged the oil screen.
Something like MMO should be relatively harmless though.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-11-2018, 08:39 AM
A host of additives could make some appliances do their job for longer on a given quantity of fuel - if they reduce the tendency of the fuel to atomise in the carburettor. That is just the same effect of other methods of making the mixture leaner or reducing its quantity.It may be harmless and economical if the machine didn't need to be running at less than its full capacity. Watch it doesn't overheat through the leaner mixture, though.

If it achieved anywhere near as much as 50% improved economy in working the way they claim, improved seal on the top ring, discontinuing its use would be very noticeable indeed, and it isn't. If it did some good that was economically worthwhile, it would be an additive by the major companies. What would stop them? A 1920s patent?

rockrat
06-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Teflon stuff got a rep. for doing that, or clogging an oil passage. Bye-bye engine.

I use Wal-Mart's version of Lucas fuel treatment in my tractors and pickup diesel fuel. I can tell quite a difference when I use it. As said, about 2mpg better fuel economy. If I add anything to the oil, its GM's Engine oil supplement

Boz330
06-11-2018, 11:04 AM
A lot of the WWII mechanics swear by it in aircraft fuel. The guy I use to fly for used it in all of his airplanes and he was an A&P as well and did all of his own maintenance. Our engines typically ran 600 to 700 hours past recommended overhaul. When he worked the numbers, that much extra run time meant that the engine could be completely scrapped and he was money ahead. That never happened to my knowledge. Occasionally a crank or cam might have to be replaced but if anything was still good that was icing on the cake.
One particular engine I remember had 800hrs past TBO and was running strong but he replaced it anyway so that he wouldn't have to do it during the busy season.
The engine on this airplane has been overhauled twice since we had it, not sure how many times before that but is going strong and it has had a steady diet MMO in the fuel. I have never notice any increased fuel mileage but it is nice to know that it will keep going and going and going. One thing for sure it sure won't hurt anything.
I ran the Teflon in my Ford Ranger for more than 200,000+ miles and never had a problem, but when I used it at oil changes there was a noticeable increase in the fuel mileage. I did hear about the problems after the fact but never had them. In fact that truck was probably the best vehicle I ever owned. Other than normal wear items I replaced 1 sensor under warranty and 1 at 190,000 miles and that was it as far as maintenance. I wish I could say the same for my 7.3 Super Duty that had 190,000+ on it when I got rid of it. I paid for that truck twice with the total maintenance. Maybe I should have used the MMO in it.

Bob

Bob

fjruple
06-11-2018, 11:08 AM
I use a 50%/50% mixture of MMO and Automatic Transmission Fluid as a lub for my firearms.

Scorpion8
06-11-2018, 11:49 AM
I generally run a bottle of MMO or Seafoam in all my cars gas about every 5th-6th fill-up. There was a noticeable positive difference in the wife's original Subaru. Plus I add some to the mower occasionally during the summer.

blackthorn
06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
How much added per gallon of gas? Different ratio for small (lawnmower etc.) over large (truck/car) engines?

HangFireW8
06-11-2018, 12:33 PM
MMO helps clean and lubricate fuel injectors, but it does lower octane a bit. PAO based fuel cleaners do a better job on fuel injectors.

Teflon kills Lambda (O2) sensors over time. As a result most Teflon engine lube products contain very little Teflon.

MOA
06-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Been running it since 1988. 72 toyo fj40 landcruiser, 99 Cadillac, 94 ford f350, 99 ford crown vic, 99 merc grand marquee. Great for the upper head on the engine.

smokeywolf
06-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Only thing I add to diesel is about 12 OZ of Walmart Supertech 2 stroke TC-W3 oil at nearly every fill-up in my Dodge Cummins.

jonp
06-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Some say to add a quart 100 miles before an oil change to clean stuff up. I've been using it for years in both oil and gas with a quart added at every oil change. I do think that it works but my opinion isn't worth much.

All I know is that I ran it in a car i had and when I pulled the valve covers they were cleaner than they had a right to be at that mileage.

It makes a good metal lube when drilling holes but so does Ballistol and Kroil. I've also used it in my Bostich air tools.

jonp
06-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Only thing I add to diesel is about 12 OZ of Walmart Supertech 2 stroke TC-W3 oil at nearly every fill-up in my Dodge Cummins.

Some guys rave about Lucas or Howes and say it works, guys I respect so I don't doubt them. The only thing I've added to my semi is Power Service Anti Freeze in the winter but normally just a bottle of cheap 90% Alcohol in each tank once a week in the winter.

wulfman92
06-11-2018, 05:23 PM
I know of some airplane A&P’s that swear it will keep valves from sticking and use it religiously

smokeywolf
06-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Some guys rave about Lucas or Howes and say it works, guys I respect so I don't doubt them. The only thing I've added to my semi is Power Service Anti Freeze in the winter but normally just a bottle of cheap 90% Alcohol in each tank once a week in the winter.

Not sure I would use alcohol as a cetane booster.

Dad used to use a shot of ether on the 671 Detroit diesel for cold weather starts.

jonp
06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Not sure I would use alcohol as a cetane booster.

Dad used to use a shot of ether on the 671 Detroit diesel for cold weather starts.

No, not a cetane booster. For water in the diesel/ condensation in the tanks

TXGunNut
06-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Been using MMO for 40 yrs in air tools. Some sit for years in an unheated shed between uses but they always work. I suspect it works as a detergent in engine crankcases; good for maintenance but possibly a bad idea for sludged-up engines. Sludge loosened up by cleaners can be pretty effective at clogging oil sump pickup screens and causing REAL problems. I'd be hesitant to use it for a fuel additive in newer gas engines, can only imagine the trouble sensors and catalytic converters might have with it. I use factory spec oil at factory intervals and I burn the best fuel I can find.

Bazoo
06-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Lots of neat stories here. Thanks everyone.

smokeywolf
06-11-2018, 11:07 PM
No, not a cetane booster. For water in the diesel/ condensation in the tanks

AH! Now I capice.

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-11-2018, 11:34 PM

Get's the energy content back up to what it was before the low sulfur stuff was forced on us. Old John Deer 4020 always consumed less #2 diesel than #1. And, back in my navy days the EDG burned less naval fuel oil than when we had to switch over to JP5. In large EDGs (think 5 MW) the fuel tanks that used to be sized for 7 days at full load no longer had any margin for required testing once we went to the low sulfur stuff.

smokeywolf
06-12-2018, 02:44 AM
Get's the energy content back up to what it was before the low sulfur stuff was forced on us. Old John Deer 4020 always consumed less #2 diesel than #1. And, back in my navy days the EDG burned less naval fuel oil than when we had to switch over to JP5. In large EDGs (think 5 MW) the fuel tanks that used to be sized for 7 days at full load no longer had any margin for required testing once we went to the low sulfur stuff.

Not sure that it makes any measurable difference in "energy". I use it to replace the lubricity lost by the reduction in sulfur. Hoping it will increase the life of the VP44 injector pump.

RED BEAR
06-12-2018, 08:50 AM
i think the best thing you can do for a motor is buy quality gas . had old celebrity and just could not get it to run right .was buying whatever gas was cheap. haf it tuned motor cleaned internally no good . by chance bought a tank of bp and after about 20 miles motor smoothed out had more power and got 40 more miles out of that tank switched and car ran great like it did when new. now use it in both Cadillacs and i can tell when i have to use cheaper gas as they lose about two to three miles per gallon. i think any quality gas would do same or seems to. looked around on internet to find out why and only thing i could come up with is most of cheap gas is from venezuelan oil heavy crude which foes not have energy contint as light sweet crude. you may want to give it a try if it doesn't work for you only lost couple bucks difference in price.

Hardcast416taylor
06-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Been using MMO for 40 yrs in air tools. Some sit for years in an unheated shed between uses but they always work. I suspect it works as a detergent in engine crankcases; good for maintenance but possibly a bad idea for sludged-up engines. Sludge loosened up by cleaners can be pretty effective at clogging oil sump pickup screens and causing REAL problems. I'd be hesitant to use it for a fuel additive in newer gas engines, can only imagine the trouble sensors and catalytic converters might have with it. I use factory spec oil at factory intervals and I burn the best fuel I can find.

Where I last worked as a Pipefitter I used air tools for various jobs. I learned early on from a crusty old fella to get a good sized eye dropper and put a full dropper of MMO in any air tool I was about to use. I would rev the tool up to blow out any excess oil before using. After 35 years I retired and gifted all my air tools to other tradesmen, only hope they were listening when I told them about using the oil.Robert

jimlj
06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
When I bought my '66 Mustang, the engine hadn't been started in over 8 years. It was stuck when I bought it. I removed the spark plugs and put about 6 pumps of MMO from a squirt can in each cylinder and let it sit for several days. After working the crank back and forth for a few minutes I was able to turn the engine over by hand several times. It's been running fine for 10 years now. I've put some in the fuel on the Mustang in the past and can't say I ever noticed any difference, but on a car that see's less than 2,000 miles a year it may not be apparent. Where I always use it is in my air tools. I have a squirt can and use it on anything that needs lubricated as well. I think it is a better penetrating oil than most spray cans that are labeled as sutch.

lightload
06-12-2018, 01:53 PM
I occasionally add it to the tank in my 2002 Toyota and have done so for 10 years. It seems to make it run a tad more smoothly. Also, before oil changes I'll add a pint of MMO to the crankcase and drive it for 30 minutes and then have oil changed. I have the oil changed 3 times per year, and the oil has never appeared dark or dirty. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. Like others I would not add MMO to a new car or truck.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-12-2018, 02:49 PM
besides using Seafoam to treat gasoline...it's also good to reduce sludge in the engine. I'll put a pint in with the engine oil right before a change, drive 50 miles or so, then change the oil. Also, on carburetor type cars, you can clean the carb by pouring seafoam right into the air intake of the carb while the car is running, engine must be hot at operating temperature, pour slowly until the cars dies, let sit for 20 minutes, then start, the car will make a bunch of smoke for 10 minutes or so.

According to a local Minnesota talk radio guy (Autotalk), Seafoam's formula is basically 1/3 Isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 stodard solvent, 1/3 light weight machine/tool oil...so you can see why it would work good for cleaning a carb or cleaning the sludge from the crankcase of a gas engine.

EDG
06-13-2018, 02:58 AM
Read the MSDS for MMO. It is nothing special.
It is mostly naptha with a little mineral spirits.
But you don't have to take my word. Just ask any chemist or chemistry teacher.
It is only fit to clean greasy engine parts as far as I am concerned.

Traffer
06-13-2018, 03:36 AM
I used to use MM oil a lot. Mostly in the gas tank. Now I just use kerosene. 12oz kero per every 5 to 10 fill ups. Keeps her running well...keeps the injectors clean. And the bottom line ....CHEAP.

Mal Paso
06-13-2018, 09:56 AM
I had a Troy-Built rototiller with no compression, put a ounce of Marvel through the spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple days. It started right up. Figure the rings were stuck in their grooves. The product worked great!

Now that ATF smells like hypoid I use Marvel in Ed's Red.

I think using it as a fuel additive is a good way to boost Marvel's sales.

Echo
06-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Always used it on my competitive pistols. A drop on the bbl/slide junction, a drop on each side for the slide, and didn't worry about malfunctions...

Budzilla 19
06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Use it religiously in the fuel tank of both Dodge Cummins powered pickups!!! One truck sits and is not driven but very seldom, so I double up on the MMO in the fuel, don't use it in the crankcase,( $7000 worth of race parts in that engine, so just motor oil and Lucas Oil treatment only), work truck (RAM 3500 4X4) gets MMO and Power Service Every third fill up in the fuel tank, none in the crankcase. Never had a problem with either engine. Turned up John Deere 2950 tractor gets MMO in the fuel only. All off road and on road diesel in drums around the shop get the MMO treatment at the least. Dose up the fuel for the 4 wheeler, dirt bikes and chain saws also. Not much, just some. Shop lube is MMO/ WD-40 mixed 50/50. Never thought about firearms lube, though! I buy it by the gallon when I can find it!!! ( you know when too much is added as my work truck will roll a little "coal" when you step on the throttle if you put too much in the fuel.) I like it, works for me. just my opinion only. P.S. gotta love that smell!!!!

beemer
06-13-2018, 10:22 PM
I bought a 1974 BMW bike a good many years ago, it hadn't been rode for several years. I was told that the valves wouldn't last long with unleaded gas. A couple of ounces of MMO was added at every fill up. After 80,000 miles it was still fine, retired it but not because of the valves.

There is no way to know how much it helped but it sure didn't seem to hurt.

charleswrivers
06-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Ive used it as an additive for small engines with old gas to help them go.

I used to add it to a Northstar powered Cadillac as it gave me the impression that it idled smoother and didn't have the carbon buildup.

The advantages in the Northstar may have been in my head, but adding a little would definately let an old tank of gas burn well when it otherwise wouldn't in a small engine. I've sense just used Stabil on non-ethanol fuel for all my small engines and for storing for emergency use. I got tired of running new fuel line on all my stuff... especially in 2 cycle engine powered tools. The way my hands are, I feel like replacing the line/filter/primers is as close to performing heart surgery as I'll ever get. The ethanol is great on a modern turbo car for adding timing... but it rots out all fuel line and primer bulbs.

jimlj
06-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Use it religiously in the fuel tank of both Dodge Cummins powered pickups!!! One truck sits and is not driven but very seldom, so I double up on the MMO in the fuel, don't use it in the crankcase,( $7000 worth of race parts in that engine, so just motor oil and Lucas Oil treatment only), work truck (RAM 3500 4X4) gets MMO and Power Service Every third fill up in the fuel tank, none in the crankcase. Never had a problem with either engine. Turned up John Deere 2950 tractor gets MMO in the fuel only. All off road and on road diesel in drums around the shop get the MMO treatment at the least. Dose up the fuel for the 4 wheeler, dirt bikes and chain saws also. Not much, just some. Shop lube is MMO/ WD-40 mixed 50/50. Never thought about firearms lube, though! I buy it by the gallon when I can find it!!! ( you know when too much is added as my work truck will roll a little "coal" when you step on the throttle if you put too much in the fuel.) I like it, works for me. just my opinion only. P.S. gotta love that smell!!!!

Does MMO turn your on road diesel red? I have never been checked but I have been hesitant to add anything to "clear" diesel that would give the appearance of off road diesel. I do add 2 cycle oil from time to time, but never have used any red oil.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Well I can tell you that colouring diesel red isn't automatically harmful. But you have put your finger on a problem for users in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere. Red diesel is sold for farming and industrial use, at a greatly reduced rate of tax, but it is illegal to use under almost all circumstances on the road. There is no licence, and anybody can buy it, but the dealer is supposed to turn you in if he notices any suspicious circumstances, which putting it in the tank of your car would obviously be. A friend greatly regrets being unable to use it in his Cessna, which he never uses on the road.

The use of an additive which colours your diesel could therefore be a liability. Or a half-empty bottle a good explanation if it is time to do some fast talking... I suppose. But like a lot of other things, not being able to get a conviction needn't stop them making it more trouble than it is worth.

kaiser
06-14-2018, 12:25 PM
I've used MMO off and on for over 50 years. My Dad had a "service station" when I was a "youngster" (yep, even washed windshields!) and he always kept a 55gal drum of the stuff for people who still had machinery that ran on "white" gas. It was always known as an "upper lube" for sticky valves and lifters on vehicles even after "hydraulic valves" were the "norm". It was said that Lycoming aircraft engine company bought a case a year of MMO for "breaking in" their engines and initially MMO had an airplane on their original cans. I know of several airplane owners today that use it in the fuel and/or oil. Since the 70's, MMO stopped showing an airplane on their product, as I understand FAA pointed out it was never certified (blessed) by their agency, therefor could not possibly be OK to use (sarc). Early on before MMO became popular, a small amount of diesel fuel in gasoline was used as an upper lube; however, MMO smelled better and seemed to work better. One thing I found out is that MMO is a superb "penetrating oil", even when you don't want it to penetrate. I would caution anyone from using it in a fuel system where the tank is sealed with any kind of "caulking" material; you will discover leaks in areas that may require complete disassembly to reseal (don't ask me how I know!). I particularly use MMO 500 to 1000miles before an oil change because I believe the penetrating properties, combined with the deluting of the base oil helps clean out the engine. Like WD-40 it has many uses, many of which are probably pure "marketing hogwash", but it continues to sell and those of use who use it are convinced that it serves a useful purpose. (Anyone here use "horse liniment" for arthritis?)

Bazoo
06-14-2018, 02:14 PM
I use MMO in a few of the padlocks I have that see constant weather. A few drops, a few times a year, and they always are free and smooth. I've never lubed a gun with it... But i might give it a go sometime.

gwpercle
06-14-2018, 02:41 PM
MMO is composed of:
74% Mineral Oil
25% Stoddard Solvent (refined white mineral spirits aka paint thinner)
01% Lard (the rendered fat from a hog)

A lot of lubricants are mineral oil based so it's no wonder MMO works . My Dad used it in his cars and boat motors religiously.
I mix it 50/50 with ATF for an inexpensive CLP.

Does anyone remember , back in the 50's or 60's MMO being a clear color...not red like it is today ?
I swear I remember my Dad filling a Coke bottle with clear MMO and pouring it into the gas tank of his car ....but I could be wrong.

Gary

jmort
06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
The only luquid I will put on a lock is Ballistol. It never, ever gums up. It too utilizes mineral oil.

dkf
06-14-2018, 04:14 PM
I used to use MMO a LOT in the gas on my 74' F-100, used it every tank. I pretty much stopped using it when I changed plugs and the ceramic had a red color to them. Don't drive the 74' much any more.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-14-2018, 06:50 PM
MMO is composed of:
74% Mineral Oil

A lot of lubricants are mineral oil based so it's no wonder MMO works . My Dad used it in his cars and boat motors religiously.

Does anyone remember , back in the 50's or 60's MMO being a clear color...not red like it is today ?
I swear I remember my Dad filling a Coke bottle with clear MMO and pouring it into the gas tank of his car ....but I could be wrong.

Gary

I used to know the medical officer on the Riyadh air force base, who told me that Saudis would throw away white pills, as everybody knows white pills don't do you any good. It is obvious when you think about it. So he had a catering-sized bottle of red cochineal food colouring in which he used to dip them. Same principle, possibly.

oldlongbeard
06-15-2018, 05:37 PM
I pretty much stay away from all the "snake oils" after ruining a Ford Ranger with some teflon additive.
After a while the teflon coating broke down and clogged the oil screen.
Something like MMO should be relatively harmless though.
Had that with Slick50 years ago... was headed to the U.P. for Spring gobbler murdering.....oil pump pickup on the Suburban clogged,,,, twice. Rod was knocking gently the last time. We were 1/2 way there.... no mans land. Decided to turn around, try to make it back home, and switch vehicles. Made it home without further incident. I pretty much stay away from all the snake oils too..... but MMO was good back in the day. Old timers used it in the old cars when the unleaded gas came out ;-). Old timers-- yup... me now, I guess.
Regards, Greg in West Mitten

jonp
06-15-2018, 07:02 PM
MMO is composed of:
74% Mineral Oil

Gary

I believe it has Oil of Wintergreen in it

jonp
06-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Well I can tell you that colouring diesel red isn't automatically harmful. But you have put your finger on a problem for users in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere. Red diesel is sold for farming and industrial use, at a greatly reduced rate of tax, but it is illegal to use under almost all circumstances on the road. There is no licence, and anybody can buy it, but the dealer is supposed to turn you in if he notices any suspicious circumstances, which putting it in the tank of your car would obviously be. A friend greatly regrets being unable to use it in his Cessna, which he never uses on the road.

The use of an additive which colours your diesel could therefore be a liability. Or a half-empty bottle a good explanation if it is time to do some fast talking... I suppose. But like a lot of other things, not being able to get a conviction needn't stop them making it more trouble than it is worth.

Red diesel in the States used to be a big selling point. You saw signs saying
"Red Diesel sold here". I was never clear what that meant but I assumed some type of additive.

Bookworm
06-16-2018, 06:44 AM
"Red Diesel sold here". I was never clear what that meant but I assumed some type of additive.

All fuel sold for motor vehicles driven on the road is taxed.

When one has off road equipment - farm equipment, construction equipment, generators, etc - one is paying a road use tax for powered equipment that doesn't use roads.
In the case of diesel fuel, one can purchase fuel that is untaxed, for off road use only. That's untaxed fuel is dyed red, to distinguish it from 'green', or 'white' (un-dyed) diesel which is taxed and designated for road use.

When diesel trucks are pulled over for inspection, one of the checks that can be done is 'dipping the tank', taking a sample of the fuel in the tank to check the color. Woe (and big fines) to the operator found using untaxed 'red diesel' on the road.

jonp
06-16-2018, 06:19 PM
I've used MMO off and on for over 50 years. My Dad had a "service station" when I was a "youngster" (yep, even washed windshields!) and he always kept a 55gal drum of the stuff for people who still had machinery that ran on "white" gas. It was always known as an "upper lube" for sticky valves and lifters on vehicles even after "hydraulic valves" were the "norm". It was said that Lycoming aircraft engine company bought a case a year of MMO for "breaking in" their engines and initially MMO had an airplane on their original cans. I know of several airplane owners today that use it in the fuel and/or oil. Since the 70's, MMO stopped showing an airplane on their product, as I understand FAA pointed out it was never certified (blessed) by their agency, therefor could not possibly be OK to use (sarc). Early on before MMO became popular, a small amount of diesel fuel in gasoline was used as an upper lube; however, MMO smelled better and seemed to work better. One thing I found out is that MMO is a superb "penetrating oil", even when you don't want it to penetrate. I would caution anyone from using it in a fuel system where the tank is sealed with any kind of "caulking" material; you will discover leaks in areas that may require complete disassembly to reseal (don't ask me how I know!). I particularly use MMO 500 to 1000miles before an oil change because I believe the penetrating properties, combined with the deluting of the base oil helps clean out the engine. Like WD-40 it has many uses, many of which are probably pure "marketing hogwash", but it continues to sell and those of use who use it are convinced that it serves a useful purpose. (Anyone here use "horse liniment" for arthritis?)

Got a bottle of Horse Liniment on the shelf. Best stuff ever after Bag Balm. When I cut a couple of fingers off with a chainsaw part of the physical therapy was a hot wax dip to loosen the rejoined fingers. After looking at the price of stretch wrap in the drug store I stopped by the fleet farm and got some horse wrap. Same thing, much cheaper and in nifty colors to boot

jonp
06-16-2018, 06:20 PM
All fuel sold for motor vehicles driven on the road is taxed.

When one has off road equipment - farm equipment, construction equipment, generators, etc - one is paying a road use tax for powered equipment that doesn't use roads.
In the case of diesel fuel, one can purchase fuel that is untaxed, for off road use only. That's untaxed fuel is dyed red, to distinguish it from 'green', or 'white' (un-dyed) diesel which is taxed and designated for road use.

When diesel trucks are pulled over for inspection, one of the checks that can be done is 'dipping the tank', taking a sample of the fuel in the tank to check the color. Woe (and big fines) to the operator found using untaxed 'red diesel' on the road.

Yes, I know of that but this was before the tax and off road stuff. That tax was why the companies stopped selling Red Diesel.

rockrat
06-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Best friends Dad ran propane in his pickup trucks back in the 70's. He had a setup that would add MMO to the vaporized propane, to help the valves/seats.

Bookworm
06-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Yes, I know of that but this was before the tax and off road stuff. That tax was why the companies stopped selling Red Diesel.

Must have been a long time ago. The Fed Gov't began taxing motor vehicle fuel in 1932.
The states started several years prior to that.

Three44s
06-17-2018, 10:00 AM
My father bought a Cessna 182 Skylane in 1970.

At the time he bought it the folks he bought it from did a Top Chrome major on the Continental O 470 engine.

Chrome rings and cylinders break in poorly sometimes because of their hardness.

The oil consumption ran 1 qt every 7 hrs.

My father is a fan of “Marvel” from when he was a young adult and used it on some of his girl chasing cars.

At the next oil change he added one qt of MMO to the crankcase of his new to him Cessna. The oil consumption immediately dropped to one qt every 20 hrs. For several changes he maintained using the MMO and out of curiosity he dropped it one change and the engine immediately went back to burning a qt in 7 hrs.

Next oil change he added the MMO and never looked back because the oil loss went right back to the qt in 20 hrs.

Three44s

Bazoo
06-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Those are neat stories, thanks for sharing.

Marlin356
06-19-2018, 12:46 PM
As I store cars for extended periods, I always rev them up to about 1500 rpm and squirt MMO in the intake until a white cloud exits the back (gasoline engines only). Also works on boats, mowers etc. Not only protects the engine but also prevents rust in exhaust system. Have been doing it 30 years, never a problem.