PDA

View Full Version : Best factory target trigger on a sub $600(ish) pistol?

Silvercreek Farmer
06-08-2018, 08:39 AM
I love the trigger on my Ruger Target 22/45 for target shooting, but I'm generally disappointed with the larger caliber plastic wonder triggers when it comes to longer range target work. Are any of the mainstream production pistols know for having exceptional target worthy triggers? Can't say for sure, but short take up seems to make a trigger feel better to me (I love shooting revolvers in single action), which is probably not consitant with lawyer triggers on pistols intended for SD carry, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what y'all thought...

ioon44
06-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Check out the Walther PPQ line, they have one of the best factory triggers.

str8wal
06-08-2018, 09:52 AM
I really like my Ruger American Compact. So much so I am in the market for the full size model in 45.

guywitha3006
06-08-2018, 10:22 AM
If you are interested in aftermarket at all, I love the APEX trigger I put in my M&P 40.

Bigslug
06-08-2018, 11:26 AM
If by "target worthy", you mean to go and shoot a Bullseye match with it, in that price range you're looking primarily at combat market guns, and those are going to have enough variability from pistol to pistol that you'd want to try a couple - even from the same source.

I'd be starting with the Rock Island 1911's.

osteodoc08
06-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Out of the Box:

Used quality 1911 for SA semi auto

Walther PPQ and Sig 320 for striker fired

Used Smith or Dan Wesson for DA revolver

Used Freedom Arms if you’re lucky to find one for $600 for SA revolver

Browning Buckmart for 22 semiauto

country gent
06-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Comparing a double action trigger to a single actions trigger is comparing apples to oranges. The 1911, Ruger 22 autos and some others are single action triggers meaning they fire the pistol only it has to be cocked manually before firing. The current group of double action pistols the trigger cocks the striker or hammer and then fires it making for a longer pull and heavier pull since its also working against the mainspring. The ruger black hawk and Colt saa can have some very nice trigger pulls. A smith or colt revolver with the hammer cocked have a short crisp release also but the double action coking and releasing trigger pulls are much longer and heavier.
For really nice trigger pulls pick up a pre war S&W and feel its single action pull. It was good when new and years of use have smoothed it even more. Same goes for older 1911s. The use smooths them out to being a very nice trigger.
For semi autos the 1911 though over you price range, the ruger 22 autos, Black Hawks and single sixes. The various double actions if thumb cocked before. S&Ws most if pre cocked are good.

reddog81
06-08-2018, 08:20 PM
There are plenty of nice used 1911's in you price range along with S&W revolvers or a Ruger GP100

Mr_Sheesh
06-09-2018, 03:57 AM
PPQs have good triggers? Hmmm. Back when they outlawed foreign import of Walther PPKs, friends' mom bought a PPK/S and I was definitely very impressed with just HOW bad that trigger was. She couldn't fire it DA, I have huge strong hands and I'd have estimated that trigger at 40# NIB. Pretty UGLY when you opened it up, burrs and all the bad things you DON'T want inside, as it came from the factory. Gunsmith cleaned it right up, but I was not impressed at the price point of that gun; It does sound like they've not gotten their head back in line with minor sanity tho - Good! (She wanted it because "James Bond", which was why she bought it; Not sure if she still has it or not though.)

Lloyd Smale
06-09-2018, 07:49 AM
going to be tough to beat your 22/45 for anywhere near the money.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2018, 07:54 AM
If I'm reading the OP's question right, I would say this needs to be broken down into a few more categories.

I gather we're talking about handguns chambered in something larger than .22 ?
I also get the sense that the OP is asking about a gun that is suitable for SD and not a dedicated target gun but still has a decent trigger?
And the OP says "Pistol", which to me is not a revolver.

The first thing that comes to mind is any number of the 1911 style pistols. The $600 limit will probably require a used 1911 style gun but that's not a problem; there are plenty of good ones out there.

I have a Star Super B that shoots very well and was way below $600 but it needed some work before it was an acceptable pistol.

If it must be a new pistol, the $600 ceiling is going to shut the door on a lot of possibilities but if it can be a used pistol, there's a lot out there. Same applies to revolvers. A good used DA revolver can be a SD tool and be a good target gun as well. It's hard to beat a 4" 38 Special DA revolver as an "all around" handgun.

If you get into any of the striker fired pistols, the triggers get a little unusual. That doesn't mean the guns are inaccurate. I think a lot of people obsess about "good triggers". No trigger in the world will compensate for poor shooting skills. A lot of bad marksmanship is blamed on the trigger when in fact it's the shooter.
There's more to shooting accurately than having a good trigger.

osteodoc08
06-09-2018, 02:19 PM
PPQs have good triggers? Hmmm. Back when they outlawed foreign import of Walther PPKs, friends' mom bought a PPK/S and I was definitely very impressed with just HOW bad that trigger was. She couldn't fire it DA, I have huge strong hands and I'd have estimated that trigger at 40# NIB. Pretty UGLY when you opened it up, burrs and all the bad things you DON'T want inside, as it came from the factory. Gunsmith cleaned it right up, but I was not impressed at the price point of that gun; It does sound like they've not gotten their head back in line with minor sanity tho - Good! (She wanted it because "James Bond", which was why she bought it; Not sure if she still has it or not though.)

Completely 2 different animals PPK vs PPQ

dragon813gt
06-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Completely 2 different animals PPK vs PPQ

Exactly, they couldn’t be more different. The PPK is an all metal hammer fired blowback operated pistol. The PPQ is is a striker fired pistol. It’s going to be hard to beat the PPQ trigger out of the box if you want a striker fired pistol.

Don’t overlook the CZ 75B SA. They’re right around $600. I personally don’t look at any pistol as how the pistol is from the factory. I look to see what can be done. Sending the CZ off to Cajun Gun Works of CZ Custom will have it coming back w/ an exceptional trigger. I’ve been told CZ’s polymer pistols have great triggers as well but I don’t own one. And like they’re all metal counterparts they can be sent off to CGW or CZC.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2018, 09:28 PM
I didn't mention the CZ-75 because I believed it wouldn't make the $600 cutoff the OP imposed but.........The CZ is an excellent pistol.

scattershot
06-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Canik TP9SF.

dragon813gt
06-09-2018, 10:20 PM
I didn't mention the CZ-75 because I believed it wouldn't make the $600 cutoff the OP imposed but.........The CZ is an excellent pistol.

You can find the SA model for under $600 quite easily. You could spend a lot more on their higher end pistols like a Shadow 2 or TSO if you really want a great pistol out of the box.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2018, 10:56 PM
You can find the SA model for under $600 quite easily. You could spend a lot more on their higher end pistols like a Shadow 2 or TSO if you really want a great pistol out of the box.
The all steel, CZ-75B will get the job done nicely.
I didn't know they could be had for under $600 but I haven't priced one recently. That's a good deal on a solid pistol.

I have a little history with the CZ-75 and it's an excellent pistol.

jhaston
06-09-2018, 11:10 PM
The Sig SP2022 is also a good choice, I have one in 9mm, has a pretty decent trigger and came with tritium night sights, I bought mine used but even a new one is less than $600.

Rodfac
06-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Most any Sig will have what you want...used of course. Most are DA/SA, but occasionally you find a SA only, if that floats your boat. Too, most Sigs have alloy frames so that may be disqualify them if you're committed to a plastic frame gun for CC use. Rod

marek313
06-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Canik TP9SF.

Any of the new Canik TP9 series. I'm very impressed with TP9 series. Canik has better trigger then my Sig p320 (which I still love) and it costs less. As a matter of fact TP9 is basically the same gun as Walter PPQ (which is by the way nothing like PPK). From my understanding Walther sold PPQ rights to Canik which became TP9 series so you can even swap slides between TP9s and PPQs. I just picked up Canik TP9 SFX and so far thats the best factory trigger I found under $600. Walther has better finish and fit but PPQ Q5 is $250 more then Canik TP9 SFX.

Silvercreek Farmer
06-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Went to the LGS today and dry fired a CZ75BD and a Rock Island 1911. Definitely prefered the 1911, even on the entry level make. I'm sure they get better as you move up the chain. Plenty of parts/smithing support, that's for sure! The 1911 trigger was a bit heavier, but had very little take up and seemed to break "cleaner" to me, more like a revolver. The overall weight of the 1911 should also be good for target work. I'm in no hurry to buy one, but it's nice to know what I am looking for in case something pops up. I'd probably go for a 9mm as I have around two gallons of 9mm brass and just a handful of 45.

robertbank
06-20-2018, 02:17 AM
Before you buy you have to try the PPQ Match or the regular PPQ M2 5". The PPQ has the best trigger out there in a striker fired gun bar none. Add tack driving accuracy and you have all you will need. The reset is 1/10th of an inch as advertised on my two examples. The trigger pull as measured by my Lyman gauge was 5.6lbs exactly as advertised. It will fall to around 4.5lbs if my guns follow those held by folks with more rounds on their guns. I am running the M2 Match with a Vortex Optic this year in IDPA. Walther makes a very good pistol.

To give you some idea of the accuracy I was hitting a 1 ft square hanging square plate at 125yards from a rest about 75% of the time using my cast reloads. My M&P Pro only wishes at that range.

Take Care

Bob

Plate plinker
06-20-2018, 12:32 PM
You can buy drop in trigger parts for a 1911 that are very good.
Just for thought.

dragon813gt
06-20-2018, 04:23 PM
You can buy drop in trigger parts for a 1911 that are very good.
Just for thought.

Same for a CZ. Both CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works sell kits that you can install in the gun.

Plate plinker
06-21-2018, 07:10 PM
The cz75 is a great gun for the money.

Idaho45guy
06-22-2018, 01:14 AM
I realize that other more relevant suggestions have been given, but the thread title reminded me of a pistol.

The Walther Creed. Looked at one at my local LGS and could not believe how good the trigger was. Light and crisp. Maybe 4lbs at the most. Was seriously impressed. Dirt cheap at under $400.

Anyways, just wanted to mention it. Maybe the one I tried was a fluke since no one else mentioned it.