PDA

View Full Version : Henry Single Shot rifles?

dougader
06-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Anybody have one? The price seems about right.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

koger
06-07-2018, 05:15 PM
my local gun shop had a .223 and a .308 in stock today, for $375, take your pic, both had killer nice wood on them!

dougader
06-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Compared to the CVA single shots, these Henry are really nice and US made. I've seen the 5.56 and .243 and both had beautiful walnut stocks.

I was looking at a CVA Scout in 44 mag, but these Henry single shot rifles have me thinking twice...

I have a CVA Hunter in 35 Remington that I like, but it seems to me the Henry rifle is a couple steps up and for only a few dollars more than the CVA Scout.

hpdrifter
06-09-2018, 08:40 AM
If they had 45 Colt, I'd have one. Probably 30-30 also.

trooperdan
06-18-2018, 05:01 PM
All they need to do now is chamber them in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and .32-20!

Cosmic_Charlie
06-18-2018, 10:29 PM
A .44 mag with a twist rate for 300 gr. boolits and a threaded muzzle would be sweet.

scattershot
06-18-2018, 10:37 PM
my local gun shop had a .223 and a .308 in stock today, for $375, take your pic, both had killer nice wood on them!

Considering that a used H&R would cost almost that, it’s a bargain.

midland man
06-23-2018, 10:10 PM
yep a 30-30 and 45 colt for me as well!!

Dvedw
06-24-2018, 11:58 PM
45 colt and 357 mag would be hot sellers.

I looked at one in 308 yesterday at our local gun show and the fit/finish was very good. I hope Henry decides to expand on the caliber choices.

Bazoo
06-25-2018, 12:05 AM
I would be interested in a 357 magnum version. I like the look of them. I always liked the H&Rs too.

Good Cheer
06-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Maybe could use one in .44 Special but what I've really wanted is a .41 Mag.

Four-Sixty
06-30-2018, 07:26 AM
And how about 357 Maximum?

Anyone have one in 45-70 yet? I had a Handi in 45-70 with absolutely no throat. It was difficult to close the action because the rifiling would engage the bullet. If these 45-70 Henrys have a throat, I want one!

Mr_Sheesh
07-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Four-Sixty you could maybe get the throat on that Handi-Rifle reamed out some? The Henry's look interesting.

Four-Sixty
07-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Mr Sheesh. I asked two gunsmiths who declined because it was a Handi. I sold it off. I think I saw a similar report for the CVA Hunter not having a throat either.

David LaPell
10-07-2018, 09:34 PM
I did a review of one in .45-70 a while back, I still have the gun, I just ordered a Skinner barrel mounted peep sight for it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/henry-single-shot-45-70/#axzz5TIbpV6PU

Baja_Traveler
10-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Guy showed up to our levergun silhouette match today with one in 45-70 (we are not a sanctioned match so single shots are welcome). It looked really nice, and he shot a pretty decent score with it considering it was the first time he shot silhouette.

iMigraine
10-08-2018, 01:34 AM
MegaSuperMagum's thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?365404-Henry-Single-Shot-Initial-Impressions talked about the trigger being a bit on the heavy side. Maybe North of five pounds of pull. He was trying out some industrial springs to see if he could lighten the trigger pull.

So far, the only negative comments I've read about Henry's SS is from MegaSuperMagum and another poster who think the trigger weight is too much. However, for how nice it appears (haven't see anywhere local) the trigger doesn't worry me too much and the price is very low considering you're getting real wood, steel, and iron sights too. The .223 is on my short list for my next rifle. Should make an excellent target and plinking rifle.

Four-Sixty
10-08-2018, 08:50 PM
David LaPell,

Did you have any problems closing the action due to little to no throat? I wonder if the throat is too short on these that the bullet engraved on the rifling. The Handi I had was bad. If, on the other hand, the action closed with no effort for any bullet that would be good news.

And Henry, please offer one in 30-30!

koger
10-08-2018, 10:04 PM
I have one in .223 and .243. They both had triggers that were a little gritty and broke at #4 or so. I could live with the triggers, as they both shot very well, with iron sights, out to 150yds. I did take the gun apart, and with a little judicious stoning of the component parts, had them smooth as a babies butt, and actually dropped the pull# by 1/2# or so. Both guns are now scoped and shoot 3/4" groups. I posted on this earlier when I first got the .223, and seemed like I got no feedback, because I was a happy camper!

megasupermagnum
10-08-2018, 10:14 PM
I'd say you got some good ones, you are the first person to report a 4# trigger on the Henry single shot. Mine was closer to 8#, and lots of 6-7# triggers are talked about. Henry themselves says they are designed to be 5#-6#. Other than that, they are fine rifles, and they do have a generous throat. Mine is in 308 winchester, and I am seating a Lee 309-170-F so the GC is level with the bottom of the neck, and I still am not touching rifling. It doesn't seem to effect jacketed bullet accuracy, as mine has been shooting about MOA, even when I was shaking from trying to pull the trigger. I am selling the reduced power hammer springs, check the selling section. I've sold to two people, one I haven't heard any report back yet, and the other hasn't received them yet. I ran a very short string with mine and the lightest spring with no problems.

Mr_Sheesh
10-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Could the triggers have been cast or milled but then not cleaned up after? I've seen some firearms come new from the factory in IMO BAD condition (Friends' Walther PPK/S some years ago, 22# DA trigger, we stoned it clean and was more like ~7# after that? Lots better anyways.) Burrs will make a trigger obnoxious! And a friends' Thompson 45 (SA version) was maybe worse but he just ran 500 rounds through it to clean it up.

megasupermagnum
10-08-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't know if it was supposed to be or not, but my trigger was as cast. I didn't see any burrs or other problems. I have since used an Arkansas stone to smooth it, but I don't want to go to far. It now has a consistent tick, then clean break. With the stoning and lighter spring it really helped mine out. It might be around 4#-5# now. I should buy a trigger pull gauge.

David LaPell
10-10-2018, 09:58 PM
David LaPell,

Did you have any problems closing the action due to little to no throat? I wonder if the throat is too short on these that the bullet engraved on the rifling. The Handi I had was bad. If, on the other hand, the action closed with no effort for any bullet that would be good news.

And Henry, please offer one in 30-30!

I had no issues with the action closing, I got good groups out of both the 300 and 405 grain bullets and no issues with the action.

Four-Sixty
10-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Great news Sir!

Thanks for the reply.

30-30 guy
10-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Megasuupermagnum, was away,money order will be in the mail tomorrow. Gun didn't come yet, dealer said delivery is slow, demand is high!! Want to have the spring kit in hand when the henry gets here!!!!

rfd
10-19-2018, 07:11 PM
fwiw - the henry h015-223 .223 rem s/s is $356/shipped at tombstone.

rfd
10-19-2018, 07:16 PM
... I had a Handi in 45-70 with absolutely no throat. It was difficult to close the action because the rifiling would engage the bullet. ...

ah, a bore rider paper patched bullet delight!!! i'd take one in a heartbeat!!!

30-30 guy
10-22-2018, 11:42 AM
We need a 30-30 and 357max. I would order them today!!

RustyReel
10-22-2018, 01:26 PM
We need a 30-30 and 357max. I would order them today!!

Check this out:

https://grabagun.com/henry-repeating-arms-henry-singleshot-30-30-bl-wd.html

They also list a .357 Mag......but I don't believe either one really exists. No listing on the Henry site.

rfd
10-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Check this out:

https://grabagun.com/henry-repeating-arms-henry-singleshot-30-30-bl-wd.html

They also list a .357 Mag......but I don't believe either one really exists. No listing on the Henry site.

both are listed as "out of stock" ... i wonder why? :mrgreen:

rking22
10-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Maybe Henry is using Ruger's play book ��

megasupermagnum
10-22-2018, 09:48 PM
I swear I checked the link at about 1PM and it said 1 in stock for the 30 WCF.

BigAl52
10-22-2018, 11:46 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789300916

Heres one and the 357 will be out in brass and the steel. Just so you guys know. Al

rfd
11-08-2018, 04:55 PM
i have and shot the henry .223 today, but with the far improved trigger (and hammer). i also have the .357 on order and due to arrive next week. these are GREAT guns, but only once the trigger gets fixed. thanx to megasupermagnum, we all now have an easy and cheap fix for all henry single shot rifles for $3 plus shipping .....

Henry single shot H015 rifle trigger/hammer fix springs available at cost + shipping here ....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?370953-Henry-H015-single-shot-trigger-hammer-FIX

Foggy1111
11-12-2018, 11:50 PM
^. Just ordered one of those springs. After owning other Henry's and reading a few reviews.....I expected much more than I got with my H015 in 308. The hammer pull is UGLY....and the trigger pull is about 7.5 lbs. No way I am going hunting with this rig. I'm hoping that I can resolve these issues with the spring and a little light stoning / lapping on the trigger parts.

I did buy the scope mount offered by Henry/ Warne.....and that seems pretty good. Also bought the Henry/Carlson Hammer Extension.....and it bends when I tightened the set screw....which allows it to work forward on the hammer. NOT GOOD at all. I fear it could cause a misfire if it works further forward. More tightening on the set-screw only further bends the extension in the middle. It is made of aluminum to be light weight......but it is does not have enough of the right stuff to stay striaight upon installation. I think I will buy a STEEL hammer extension from Grov-Tec and see if this floats my boat?

Kinda disgusted with the results from this gun to date. Heavy hammer and trigger pulls, then the bad Hammer Extension, and now a bad Reticle(?) in a Leupold scope I bought with the rifle. Grrrrr.....some days are stones. ;). I'd bet I own over 40 Leupold Scopes....and this is the first one with a bad reticle. I guess it happens.....Maybe I'm snake bit. ;).

rfd
11-13-2018, 10:32 AM
when i got the henry .223 i loved everything about it - the build, components, fit and finish - but that danged trigger AND hammer were the gawd awful pits! i would never have bought the gun if i didn't read up on the work that megasupermagnum had been doing with his henry .308, and the really good results he was getting. i bought my spring kit from him before i even bought the gun!

there is NO question to me that swapping out the stock henry s/s rifle spring set for one 31# spring, or *maybe* the 31# spring plus the inner stock small spring, will make an immediate lighter difference to the perceived pull weights of both the trigger and hammer.

how much difference will depend on the luck of the draw with what gun you got off their assembly line. some folks are finding the stock setup weighs out in excess of 7# and others claim under 6#.

some folks found that replacing both stock springs gave too light a hammer strike - this is an easy test to do in yer shop by lighting off just a primer loaded case. if too, light a strike, add back in just the smaller inner stock spring.

some folks are polishing the sear and engagement besides the spring swap and getting even better results. i'd think that as the gun gets used, so will the parts polish up and work better, as with most any gun.

i wish to heck henryusa would be reading these CB henry s/s h015-xxxx gun threads, wake up and smell the coffee and reevaluate how these guns are leaving their new jersey assembly center. maybe that's the real problem - assembled in one of the worst anti-gun states in the union. dang.

megasupermagnum
11-13-2018, 04:28 PM
when i got the henry .223 i loved everything about it - the build, components, fit and finish - but that danged trigger AND hammer were the gawd awful pits! i would never have bought the gun if i didn't read up on the work that megasupermagnum had been doing with his henry .308, and the really good results he was getting. i bought my spring kit from him before i even bought the gun!

there is NO question to me that swapping out the stock henry s/s rifle spring set for one 31# spring, or *maybe* the 31# spring plus the inner stock small spring, will make an immediate lighter difference to the perceived pull weights of both the trigger and hammer.

how much difference will depend on the luck of the draw with what gun you got off their assembly line. some folks are finding the stock setup weighs out in excess of 7# and others claim under 6#.

some folks found that replacing both stock springs gave too light a hammer strike - this is an easy test to do in yer shop by lighting off just a primer loaded case. if too, light a strike, add back in just the smaller inner stock spring.

some folks are polishing the sear and engagement besides the spring swap and getting even better results. i'd think that as the gun gets used, so will the parts polish up and work better, as with most any gun.

i wish to heck henryusa would be reading these CB henry s/s h015-xxxx gun threads, wake up and smell the coffee and reevaluate how these guns are leaving their new jersey assembly center. maybe that's the real problem - assembled in one of the worst anti-gun states in the union. dang.

These guns are made in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. Wisconsin is historically gun friendly.

rfd
11-13-2018, 05:35 PM
i heard from henry that the parts are made in wisconsin but assembled in bayonne, NJ.

megasupermagnum
11-13-2018, 08:04 PM
It's possible, but the gun says Rice Lake, WI right on it. There was a video somewhere on here showing the Rice Lake Henry plant, check youtube. It looked rather inclusive to me.

rfd
11-13-2018, 08:34 PM
i'd already seen that video, and at 7:14 the henry GM sez that "many of the parts that are assembled in the NJ plant are actually produced here in wisconsin prior to being shipped to NJ" ... he goes on to show golden boy parts that are being shipped to NJ for assembly. one of the reasons, if not the main reason for having a wisconsin plant, was that the bayonne plant had 100 of their machines in 3 feet of sandy hurricane water. not that any of that matters a hoot, other than NJ still sucks. grrrr.

funigui
11-14-2018, 05:24 PM
I have found (being originally from NJ) that many* of the people there are actually pretty pro gun. Living next to NYC and the rampant crime in areas like Newark and Camden make the representatives soft and willing to just pass BS with guns.

That being said, besides the heavy trigger, mine has been fantastic, and very accurate. I have the 31# spring from Magnum, and im going to be putting it in and testing this weekend. I have opened the rifle down to all the springs when I first got it looking for anything out of wack because of how the trigger was/is. From another thread I saw, it definitely seems like the lawyers got the better of the decision to put the heavier hammer spring it in. I hope they keep selling like crazy so we can start to see maybe aftermarket barrels and other accessories.

Side note, I am in a FB group with the owner of Skinner, and he said he is in the works for a skinner sight for the S/S series of rifles. I think a nice peep on here would be a great addition. (although I run mine with a leupold)

also, the rifle shoots black powder rounds pretty good as well. I had to try after I loaded some up for BPCR, and it shot them very well.

rfd
11-14-2018, 06:14 PM
the problem with jersey are its liberal progressive left wing politicians, particularly the new governor who has his eyes on the white house.

if you can, before heading to the range with the newly installed 31# spring, pop a few primed cases first.

i talked with andy over at skinner and his H&R rear peep sights will fit the henry h015 s/s rifles. the problem will be getting a taller front sight and he has one that's not listed on the skinner website.

fwiw, i'd prefer the williams rear and lyman front that this feller installed ...

https://image.ibb.co/hiMx6S/P1060666_800x.jpg

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/165-henry-repeating-arms-discussion-sponsored-henry-repeating-arms/356810-henry-single-shot-williams-sight.html

MOA
11-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Would be a winner with different swappable barrels.

rfd
11-15-2018, 06:08 PM
You'll get no argument from me about having a Henry single shot able to swap out barrels. However, even without that bbl swap ability these guns at their street price point of under $400 are great values providing the obligatory trigger/hammer spring swap is made. Add in the made in USA quality materials and workmanship, and I'm calling it the single shot centerfire winner of the year. YMMV.