PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Rest for Handguns?

Rick N Bama
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Guys, what do you use for a rest while bench testing your handgun loads? I have a Steady Point which was suppose to be great (according to Stoney Point) but I find it lacking in being able to actually hold the gun steady. So if I should buy another, which should it be short of a Ransom Rest?

Rick

Down South
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't have any of the nice rests. I use homemade sand bags for hand guns. I have a home made rest for my long guns that is adjustable.

missionary5155
09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
The simple design I use looks like an inverted "T" from the side. Base is a 2x8 6 inches long. Up right is a 2x8 6 inches tall screwed onto the base. The upright has a "U" shape cut out of the top end 4 inches wide and 3 inches deep. An adjustable piece of leather strap is attached to the upright so the loop of leather hanging down into the cut out "U" can be raised or lowered .. some handguns are taller. Paint (??) or STAIN (!!) to personal desire. Final handgun height adjustments are helped by adding sandbag or wadded towel (whatever) under wrists. Our gunclub (Danville Rifle Pistol Club... founded shortly after dinosaur extinction) had one sitting around for years and I got hooked on the design. If you work real slow and have to run everywhere hunting for materials it works out to a GREAT all winter project.

MT Gianni
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Take a worn pair of wranglers and cut the legs off. Sew one end, fill with sand or cat litter and sew the other end.

44man
09-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, sandbags! I find my steadiest hold is with the end of the barrel on the front bag and the butt on a rear bag. Try to keep the same pressure on the rear bag to prevent up and down stringing.
I have tried every other way and shake too much. One rest I bought flew over my head with the big guns.
Creedmore is very steady too. You need a blast shield.

Rick N Bama
09-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks guys, I guess I need to make up some sandbags to try. I've been thru 3 different commercial rest & I've gotten a lot of shake with all 3. The Steady Point is the best I've used, but that's not saying much.

Rick

Blammer
09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
sand bags, and lots of em.

jhalcott
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
C&J Machine makes a dandy pistol rest. It is suitable for long range hunting with a table or testing handloads at the bench. I hate it when a pile of sandbags collapses in the middle of a string of shots. I have a couple different home made rests strictly for hand guns. I will also use a regular RIFLE rest up front and a small bag in the rear to test loads. Just be aware of the cylinder gap location when using a sand bag! Even a .22 rimfire will cut a sand bag from the cylinder/barrel gap blast.

44man
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
If you have read the other posts, be aware that some guns will not hit the same place when shot off hand. I always sight from Creedmore before hunting. I don't really care where groups are on paper when testing and never worry about even 6" off somewhere as long as they are on the paper.

Blammer
09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
What is Creedmore?

XBT
09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I’ve tried several things, but what works best for me are sandbags. I use the sacks that 25 lbs. of reloading shot come in, and fill them with wheat (wheat bags?). They don’t leak dust like real sand but don’t let them get wet. These bags are used on top of a sturdy bench, of course.

When shooting revolvers I lay an old pair of trousers over the bags to protect them from the barrel/cylinder gap blast.

44man
09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Creedmore is a little hard to explain. You lay on your back with your knees up and together. Take your left arm and put it behind your head with fingers on the ground so you can rest your head on your forearm. You need a blast shield on the side of your leg. Lay the gun along the side of your leg against the shield. Your hand will be against your thigh and your elbow on the ground. Use an elbow pad of some kind.
MAKE SURE THE MUZZLE IS OUT PAST YOUR LEG. Keep your feet on the ground close to your butt and spread for stability. They should be about shoulder width apart, knees together.
You have a three point rest. Barrel against your leg, hand against your thigh and elbow on the ground. Recoil is free and up with the gun in one hand.
My blast shield is a piece of thick rubber with a strap that goes over my knee. It is about 12" square. Anything that keeps cylinder blast off of your leg. They sell kevlar shields. Do NOT shoot without one! [smilie=1: You don't need it for an auto, only revolvers.
This position is almost as steady as sandbags and will teach you trigger control very fast.
When hunting, if I needed the position, I have put my heavy glove between the cylinder and my leg when using the .44. I would not do that with a .454, .460 or larger.

missionary5155
09-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Creedmore = laying on your buns/back and holding the handgun in your shooting hand up against the outside of your leg. Legs may be "leaned over" away from from the horizontal so the handgun somewhat rests on the upper leg. It comes down to whatever is comfortable for you as your body does not bend like mine. Thus the need for the blast sheild.... revolvers spit out the side and muzzle blast right next to your leg will be painful. I used mudflap material (semi truck) tied to my leg with leather shoelaces for years shooting IHMSA in Illinois.

BABore
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Don't forget to put a piece of leather on top of your bags. They don't last too long without it.

Blammer
09-17-2008, 04:10 PM
thanks for the creedmore explaination. I think I'll NOT be trying that position. Gumby I'm not.

Whitworth
09-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Blammer, it's not as complicated as it sounds. Not only is it a stable position, but you can take a nap between shots! :mrgreen:

MT Gianni
09-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Don't substitute frayed Carharts for a sheild with out a fire extinguisher handy. Don't ask me why I know.

crabo
09-18-2008, 12:59 AM
thanks for the creedmore explaination. I think I'll NOT be trying that position. Gumby I'm not.

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TlJPM8S5A

missionary5155
09-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Creedmore..
Most shooters do put their non-shooting hand under the head neck area... I do not. I brought my left arm over the stomack and grasped my right wrist across the top. Extremely stable hold. My Dan Wesson 41 mag 8 inch will shoot 3 inches and less at 100 meters. If I have time and the target is seeable this is my FAVORED Field shooting position... coyotes (coydogs really) ground hogs, wabbits... they do not seem to mind. Just another option to have ...

44man
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I have done that too but need a tree to hold up my head! [smilie=w:

Blammer
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
good vid on the creedmore, thanks!

looks like you need a semi auto in that game... :)

Whitworth
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
looks like you need a semi auto in that game... :)

And perhaps a pillow......:mrgreen: