PDA

View Full Version : What about these Federal hulls for Lee 1 oz or Lyman 525 slugs?

Gray Fox
06-06-2018, 08:09 PM
My brother just visited his local indoor range and was given a small trash bag of once fired Federal high brass maroon-colored hulls for a big $4.00. The hulls are marked Federal Field and Range and had been loaded with #7 steel shot. Will these work for slugs and if so do any of you have a recommended primer, wad and load? Thanks in advance, GF.

dsh1106
06-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Picture of the hull will get you a quicker answer. There are so many variants out there it's hard to tell with seeing the inside construction of the hull.

This might help out, see attached

Scott

jmort
06-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Ajay has a ton of pictures to see and a ton of good advice. Check out his threads and posts. Regardless, stick them in a wad and see how they look. Add nitro cards if necessary to bring them up to proper height. There is a lot of data for the Lyman 525 slug that is easy to find.

Hogtamer
06-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Check the basewad. If they are plastic you're good to go.

Gray Fox
06-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Hogtamer: These are all with the carboard base wad. Based on the Federal load data provided above the Fed 12S3 wad should be used with a 1 1/8 oz shot load. Do you have an opinion whether that wad and the recommended powders would work with the Lee 1 oz and the Lyman 525 slugs? If the above is negative I do have a bunch of compression formed AA hulls and WA12 wads to try. Thanks, GF.

Hogtamer
06-09-2018, 05:20 PM
OverFill the 525 bases with hot glue, then trim flush with a warm blade after it sets and you won't require a hard card under the slug. Try one and see what the weigh then. If light you could add a lead birdshot pellet or three to get right on 1 1/4 oz. If your alloy is less then pure lead the 525 will probably be weigh close to 1 1/8. If the slug does not sit flush on the base of the shotcup without bulging use a 20 ga 1/8" hard card in the bottom of of the cup. Either way fill it with hot glue for better result.
As for the Lee 1 oz use a 20 ga then a 16 ga hard card in the base wad and use 1 1/8 oz data. I found no advantage to filling the Lee hollow base. Be sure and report your result with pics!

toallmy
06-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Make sure you use a wad designed for that hull , you don't want powder migration . Most fed hulls are strait wall hulls , but I'm not familiar with steel shot hulls .